Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

Status
Not open for further replies.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
My post was a walkthrough of possibilities of who could be moved - Lee, Nelson, Palmieri, or JGP.

I had a previous post that modeled if they didn't move anyone.

I think folks get so triggered - they lose their reading comprehension.
Lee is a performing asset, albeit an over paid one, however, he’s still the captain of the team. I don’t see the franchise level frustration of a Marleau on the captaincy side. The Isles just have to make it work - like I’ve said, Lee will net 30 if the PP plays more down low vs perimeter. Also, Lee isn’t like -15/20/30, so beyond ‘he’s slow’ the rest lines up. Is he $7M? No.

Do I think the Isles should move on? Shake things up? Make Horvat captain? Yes.

I don’t think the organization is ready for that … yet.

Reactions: bstash19

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Lee is a performing asset, albeit an over paid one, however, he’s still the captain of the team. I don’t see the franchise level frustration of a Marleau on the captaincy side. The Isles just have to make it work - like I’ve said, Lee will net 30 if the PP plays more down low vs perimeter. Also, Lee isn’t like -15/20/30, so beyond ‘he’s slow’ the rest lines up. Is he $7M? No.

Do I think the Isles should move on? Shake things up? Make Horvat captain? Yes.

I don’t think the organization is ready for that … yet.
Again, you are missing the point -

IF the Isles were to move a F , and IF that player were Lee - it may take Ladd type deal to move that cap hit out. Lee has 15 team NTC so any team out west or in Canada are most likely on that list.
There are not many teams that can take that cap hit for 2 seasons, especially half the league, for someone who is turning 34 this season.

I am not sure what you mean about playing the PP down low vs. Perimeter. There is no such thing/no such system. the PP is QB from the perimeter mainly from the left side wall- Lee does not play PP1 because Palmieri is a better option - RH shot on the left side wall with Barzal is a better to protect the puck. Palmieri is strong on the boards and in front too. Horvat in the bumper and net front also makes Lee redundant. This is why I think a RH shot like Marchessault and Marner should be key players LL should be looking at making Palmieri expendable.

Lee should not be on the PP 1.

Reactions: Levi Walking Bear

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
You can’t compare what a guy turned down vs what the market is now based on his performance. That’s the players problem. Hello Klingberg.
It’s based on his performance for like 1/9 of his career. That’s called recency bias. I personally think he’s worth the 7 he’s asking for.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
Pulock isn’t waiving but Pelech might. IB said it’s a young player who is going to hurt, who I’m hoping is Romanov but in all likelihood is Dobson. Would hate that tbh
I don't have Twitter "X" anymore, and Elon doesn't allow you to read Tweets without an account so I am not aware of anything else IB may have said. So appreciate the update.

I just don't see how you could trade a 23 year old Dobson for a rapidly approaching 30 year old player in Marner, no matter how skilled he is.

I could live with a Ramonov+ package going to Toronto. I'd pass on anything involving Dobson.

Reactions: saintunspecified

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Ask Pulock to waive for Toronto.

Nelson + Pulock + 20th overall for Marner.

Rule #1: Do not trade for an offensive player who's production goes down (considerably) in the playoffs.

Rule #2: Do not trade 3 good assets for this player.

Rule #3: Do not trade for a player like this when they are 1 year out from UFA. Better to take your chances and just sign them (but still better to just walk away).

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
I don't have Twitter "X" anymore, and Elon doesn't allow you to read Tweets without an account so I am not aware of anything else IB may have said. So appreciate the update.

I just don't see how you could trade a 23 year old Dobson for a rapidly approaching 30 year old player in Marner, no matter how skilled he is.

I could live with a Ramonov+ package going to Toronto. I'd pass on anything involving Dobson.
Lot of speculation about TO’s interest being Dobson. But I think you might be right with Romonov. I don’t think they will give up either.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
man, it would be nice to have a guy that pops in 40 or 50. Been a long long long time a guy could do that on the Island eh? Laine has that upside if the stars align. Long shot I know, but looking into it would be prudent.
In locker clean out interviews, Reilly made some statement that the Isles locker room being a tight room was known around the league (or something to that effect).

To acquire Laine is a risk, but he could fall behind in the cushy room and also be close to, but not in a big city market with tons of pressure.

There has to be salary out, someone like JGP would be a good swap. I don’t believe in Wally, but I’d rather not see Wally find his way under this deal. If the Isles trade him, hopefully if he finds his way it’s in the west (doubtful).

Reactions: mm11

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Acquiring Marner is actually interesting from a cap perspective. he is a UFA in a year, so if the Islanders can land him and get rid of a long contract or two, then it makes a ton of sense, even if he doesn't resign with the Islanders.

It would essentially free up a,lot of future cap, which the Isles need big time.

Reactions: Osakahaus

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
That the leafs playoff failures get balmed on marner instead of roster construction when he gets 21-23 minutes per night every night is ridiculous, and it's one of those things that makes me wonder how otherwise savvy people can be so stupid

Reactions: islesfan3913

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I do not think Dobson would be the return for Marner. In fact I think Toronto would not be super happy with the return if I had to guess.

Romanov + Pageau +Isiah George for Maner (fully extended). It would still give isles flexibility to also deal Lee if needed to bring in an additional defenseman to replace Romanov.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Acquiring Marner is actually interesting from a cap perspective. he is a UFA in a year, so if the Islanders can land him and get rid of a long contract or two, then it makes a ton of sense, even if he doesn't resign with the Islanders.

It would essentially free up a,lot of future cap, which the Isles need big time.
well, that also comes with an extension. we need to see what happens.

MarsTBOW

Jun 30, 2014
Ct.
Make the Deal for Brady Tkachuk instead of Marner....
Marner will help to get to the Playoffs No Doubts

While he has 50 points in 57 games it does not seem like he can be "The Go To Guy".
I would love to see how good he is without his Two Tremendous line mates....
"No Thanks" to what he will want $ Wise.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,600.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium