Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Obviously, it’s not gonna happen every year and not every draft is the same but you can get good prospects in the second and third round. coincidentally Reilly Heidt I had ranked at the end of the first round and he was picked number 64 last year. he has top six potential and is a highly skilled player and a really good prospect

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Aaahhhh. Josh Bailey redux.

Calling Garth Snow….

Not a bad strategy though. The more darts the higher the chances of hitting a bullseye.

I do think Lou ends up moving at least 1 of the picks he has acquired to get rid of Pageau.

Worked out then. Wish we didn't waste so many picks for de Haan the next year though.

I think Dehaan would have been a good player, all those injuries ruined him.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Lou with a great trade!!!! Nice 2 spots and pick up an extra 2nd!!! These are the trades that get me hard!!!

Get some more kicks at the can!!!

Good players to be had in the 2nd round. Love this.

Unless he’s using it to trade away contracts lol

Here take this 2nd and Pageau lol

Thoughts...

• This trade in itself is an absolute win. The value alone puts it notable over the to towards the Isles. The real question is...What does Lou do with the additional pick now?
  • To that point I was very pleased when the deal was announced because I thought we'd use the picks to trade for a top player, or just add more (desperately needed) young talent to the farm system.
  • However then it occurred to me...The most likely scenario is that Lou made the deal simply because he needs more ammo to trade away a bad contract or two. Not that hard to make that leap since he leads all GMs in making contract dump deals since he took over the Isles.
  • I would also have no problem if Lou made 2-3 more trades like this, wound up in the mid/late 20's, and then even traded the 1st altogether. This draft, like most, seems eye of the beholder, so there's a great chance of getting some good talent in the 2nd round. So to have 4 picks there could really add some good youth into our prospect system.
  • The amazing part to me is...Why in the world did Chicago make this trade? If they were moving up 5-10 slots then that gets them in a different tier in thre draft, but to move up only 2 spots? I could understand if the Isles were on the clock a month from now at #18 and they absolutely loved a player still there and wanted to move up, but anything can happen between now and then. So the chances that this move was necessary to get a player they want is very very slim.
  • Someone else online reminded me of the Josh Bailey deal with Chicago. Remember what the Isles "got back" in the trade...? "Future Considerations." Could this deal be related to that? Honestly perhaps.

End of day, there's no downside to this deal - Only upside. The real judge on it will be when we see what Lou does with this picks. It will really be a success if he does any of the following:

1. Keeps the picks and gets 3 good/great young talents from them.
  2. Trades a pick(s) as part of a deal to get a 1st line talent/top defenseman.
  3. Trades a pick(s) to open up cap space, and then uses that cap space to sign/acquire a 1st line talent/top defenseman.

If he does anything but those 3 with these picks then he will have failed.

NYI365

Let's Go Islanders!
Jun 5, 2011
Merrick, NY

Bo putting in the recruiting for pending UFA Max Domi? 👀

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240524-221606.png
    Screenshot_20240524-221606.png
    248.2 KB · Views: 3

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
As far as I know, this draft isn't super strong. It' a very top heavy draft, so I don't know if we are going to keep those picks. After the top 10, there is a HUGE drop off. Next year is much stronger, which makes me believe something else is afoot.

Reactions: Osakahaus

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
Ya, I think this trade was COMPLETELY about adding more assets to help attach to player(s) we are looking to unload. And because it came so early, I would not be surprised if he makes another similar type move again to add to the cupboard.

If this was anyone but Lou then I might buy into the replenishing the farm aspect, but I dont think he has ever put a high priority on that and even less so now knowing he is likely on his last year(s) as the GM.

I dont buy into trading either Nelson or Palmeri this offseason when you are trying to find a top6 guy as it is and them being two of your three 30 goal scorers...

With roughly 4 million in cap space (once you ink Holmstrom and MacLean) there is very little the Islanders can do this offseason without creating more cap space and the obvious candidates among forwards are Engvall, JPG and Lee.

Pierre is all but untradeable after the inexcusable 7-year contract Lou just gave him and both Anders and Jean-Gabriel still have two years on their contracts at seven and five million per, which means an asset or two are going to have to be attached to move them. Lou is obviously trying to add to that total of assets.

This was a good trade to help accomplish that, and I would say the chances we wind up keeping all three of these picks (3 of the top 61) are about slim to none...

Last edited:
Reactions: Osakahaus

JJ18Sniper

Oct 2, 2020
NY
Lou with a great trade!!!! Nice 2 spots and pick up an extra 2nd!!! These are the trades that get me hard!!!

Get some more kicks at the can!!!

Good players to be had in the 2nd round. Love this.

Unless he’s using it to trade away contracts lol

Here take this 2nd and Pageau lol

Given the supposed interest at the deadline for Pageau that Lou declined, makes me wonder if we need to attach an asset to him.

Taswell

Oct 4, 2017
I think Toronto will find a way to keep Domi. He wants to stay and he is very much a Berube player.

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
I don’t see Lou moving Nelson or Palmieri this off season.
I think Pageau will be moved with maybe $1M retention for a late round pick.
Both 2nd’s will be used to move another contract.
The 1st will be used to import a player.

Reactions: SayItAintSoJohnny

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I don’t see Lou moving Nelson or Palmieri this off season.
I think Pageau will be moved with maybe $1M retention for a late round pick.
Both 2nd’s will be used to move another contract.
The 1st will be used to import a player.
I think Nelson and Palmieri are dealt in 2025 trade deadline deals at the latest.

NYI365

Let's Go Islanders!
Jun 5, 2011
Merrick, NY
A top line of Domi-Horvat-Barzal would intrigue me hypothetically. He's had 72, 52, and high 40 points seasons in the past and played well this past playoffs for TOR.

Domi-Horvat-Barzal
Engvall-Nelson-Palmieri
Lee-Pageau-Holmstrom (If JGP is still here)
MacLean-Cizikas-Fasching (Ideally would want to upgrade on Fasching)

We need LW help, and realistically a revamp of at least 25-30% of the F core in the next two years

Edit: Forgot about our new Russian lmao. Somebody help figure out this roster. I've read that the isles are intrigued at using Tsyplakov at center, I could see them using some picks to move JGP now after the trade yesterday and plugging in Tsyplakov there.

XXX/Domi-Horvat-Barzal
Engvall-Nelson-Palmieri
Lee-Tsyplakov-Holmstrom (If JGP is traded)
MacLean-Cizikas-Fasching

Move Mac to 3C and move Tsyp to wing if he can't C and Lee down to 4 LW. Pretty clear through all of this LW 1 is a priority.

I need a cigarette and I don't smoke.

Last edited:

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
My first stab at it....

But also with little to no faith Lou can pull it off...

Ehlers-Horvat-Barzal
Palmeiri-Nelson-DeBrusk
Engvall-Cizikas-Tsyplakov
Holmstrom-MacLean-Bailey (Justin)

Romanov-Dobson
Pelech-Carrier
Reilly-Mayfield

Sorokin-Varlamov

Lomberg-DeHaan-Fasching-Bolduc-

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY
My first stab at it....

But also with little to no faith Lou can pull it off...

Ehlers-Horvat-Barzal
Palmeiri-Nelson-DeBrusk
Engvall-Cizikas-Tsyplakov
Holmstrom-MacLean-Bailey (Justin)

Romanov-Dobson
Pelech-Carrier
Reilly-Mayfield

Sorokin-Varlamov

Lomberg-DeHaan-Fasching-Bolduc-

Crying tears of joy if any of this happens lmao.

Only change I make is that Lomberg plays over Bailey but I'm just picky.

I love Alex Carrier. I think he's such a sneaky good player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad