Oenatzu

Chad-in-the-Box
Mar 7, 2010
Tlusty - E Staal - Semin
Skinner - J Staal - LaRose
Bowman - Jokinen - Boychuk
Nodl - Brent - Dwyer
Stewart

Top heavy forward lines, Jokinen leads the kids and takes faceoffs for the third line and 4th line does whatever it is 4th lines usually do.
Bowman was decent in the NHL last season and has been steady with the Checkers. Boychuk battles with Dalpe for the other wing. Stewart waits in the car outside the arena while the others play.

Other possibilities:
- Brent centers 3rd for a more defensive minded line and Sutter or Nash takes the 4th C spot.
- LaRose and Jokinen swap lines while someone from the Checkers (Dalpe, Nash, Welsh?) plays the 3rd C.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Are these lines what you want to see? or what you expect Muller to put out there?

I don't know. I think Kirk is going to have to do some fancy coaching with this roster, because the pieces don't seem to fit together very well.

Does anyone disagree that it's bad for the team to have Jeff Skinner on the ice for defensive zone draws against the other teams top lines based on his previous two years of his play?

Kirk said Staal's on sperate lines, and he wants production out of third line. Aside from some AHL stats, that's all we have to go on.

ChuckW

Keep the Hurricanes great!
May 15, 2009
Parts unknown
I want to see Tlusty on the first line, on a consistent basis, because I'm still not sure what we even have in him.

If that doesn't work out, switch things up.

If things are looking bad for playoff positioning or if we are in danger of missing the playoffs altogther, forget "Staals on different lines" and go with Staal-Staal-Semin or Staal-Staal-Skinner depending on who is more productive.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Kirk said Staal's on sperate lines, and he wants production out of third line. Aside from some AHL stats, that's all we have to go on.

True, but the way I read his comment was that there would likely not be a line that was a defensive only line. Here was the quote. "The makeup of our team last year was Sutter’s line was more of a checking line," Muller said. "We’re looking at the possibility of two good lines while allowing the third line to play a little more and offer a little more offense than last year. The third line, we should get production from."

I read that as the top two lines will be good, scoring lines, but the 3rd line will be more rounded and have defense and be able to contribute. I guess it all comes down to the 3C spot. Who do the Canes have filling that role. Is it a guy from Charlotte (Dalpe, Welsh-unlikely, Nash-unlikely), is it Brent moving up from the 4th line? Is it Jokinen? or do they make an acquisition?

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
What if they move Brent up to 3C and let Welsh or Sutter take the 4C spot?

Tlusty-EStaal-Semin
Skinner-JStaal-Jokinen
Bowman/Boychuk/Dalpe-Brent-LaRose
Nodl-Sutter-Dwyer

I really don't want to see Jokinen centering the 3rd line. I think it puts a limit on his potential; both he and the team would be better served with him getting bigger minutes. The Skinner-Jokinen-LaRose line that we tried last year was dangerous in the offensive zone but couldn't get the puck out of their own end to save their lives. I'd rather see Jokinen given the opportunity to produce than try to fit a square peg into a round hole.

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
Comments from Jimmy on the roster and other stuffs:
http://www.wralsportsfan.com/hurricanes/audio/11952919/

-Says he wants to add one maybe two 3rd/4th liners this season (maybe not immediately)
-Dan Ellis will get an NHL contract
-Joseph Corvo adds a clear upgrade over last year's defense :help:
-Thinks Welsh should make the team "based on size alone" (maybe part of Kirk's "big" 4th line)
It's frightening that an NHL general manager would make such a comment. :help:

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis has Big Kahunas
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Semin / Eric / Tlusty
Skinner / Jordan / Bowman
Nodl / Jussi / LaRose
Brent / Welsh / Dwyer

Gleason / Corvo
Pitkanen / McBain
Faulk / Harrison

Ward
Ellis

normalpsychology

Oct 27, 2011
Mass
can you guys imagine what our roster would look like if we had a competent GM who didnt consistently make poor or often ridiculous decisions. Think back over the years at what we've lost and what we've acquired (Kaberle for Cole, Anthony Stewart who can't even perform in the British hockey league (no offense he seems like a nice guy but please) etc). Imagine this:

Staal, Staal (beginning in 2013-14, being patient and waiting a year for him to inevitably sign here and we wouldn't have had to lose a better player in Brandon Sutter AND a prospect), Brandon Sutter, Ray Whitney, Cole (how much Eric depends on him to be even a mediocre player), Semin, Skinner, Cullen, Faulk, Allen

Now we have these pieces we do have ( and just like the previous poster said) and how to make them work? Putting Jordan on Skinner's line is going to be problematic because Jordan will begin to buddy with Skinner and Eric will go into his pouty diva mode. And yet J and E can't be on the same line. Meanwhile it looks like we're going to still have players like Larose who don't belong anywhere above the 4th line. IDK

We have big gaps on defense. And JR seriously feels we need another 3rd or 4th liner? Really? Really? We have more 3rd and 4th liners than ****** have ****

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
I don't think that roster would be possible money-wise even if we were to spend to the cap and get rid of deadweight like Ruutu. At best you could probably work in probably 2 of Sutter/Cole/Allen/Whitney/Cullen. I agree with the sentiment, though.

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
can you guys imagine what our roster would look like if we had a competent GM who didnt consistently make poor or often ridiculous decisions. Think back over the years at what we've lost and what we've acquired (Kaberle for Cole, Anthony Stewart who can't even perform in the British hockey league (no offense he seems like a nice guy but please) etc). Imagine this:

Staal, Staal (beginning in 2013-14, being patient and waiting a year for him to inevitably sign here and we wouldn't have had to lose a better player in Brandon Sutter AND a prospect), Brandon Sutter, Ray Whitney, Cole (how much Eric depends on him to be even a mediocre player), Semin, Skinner, Cullen, Faulk, Allen

Now we have these pieces we do have ( and just like the previous poster said) and how to make them work? Putting Jordan on Skinner's line is going to be problematic because Jordan will begin to buddy with Skinner and Eric will go into his pouty diva mode. And yet J and E can't be on the same line. Meanwhile it looks like we're going to still have players like Larose who don't belong anywhere above the 4th line. IDK

We have big gaps on defense. And JR seriously feels we need another 3rd or 4th liner? Really? Really? We have more 3rd and 4th liners than ****** have ****

I am 12 and what is this.

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere
I don't think that roster would be possible money-wise even if we were to spend to the cap and get rid of deadweight like Ruutu. At best you could probably work in probably 2 of Sutter/Cole/Allen/Whitney/Cullen. I agree with the sentiment, though.

...You hate Cole and Cullen, do you not?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad