Line Combos: Roster Discussion/Line Combos

Status
Not open for further replies.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I know that Pyyhtia is highly thought of , so nice to see him get a chance.
Gaudreau - Jenner - ?
Texier - Sillinger - Nylander
? - Voronkov - ?
Meyer - Gaunce - Olivier

Interesting, where TFW and Pyyhtiä will play. Also if Marchenko could not be allowed to play, who instead of him. 11 forwards again? McKown, Del Bel Belluz or Malatesta? I like to give a chance for young guys but so many is not good. When one player was injured I prefered their rotation but I hate if they are play too lot of games.

Btw, TFW gets a chance to play with good players for a lot of minutes. We'll see if I was wrong or not. If so, I have no problem admitting it.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
not saying this intentional from portzline et. al but the "TFW is forcing the jackets to give him a look" stuff feels like trying to manifest a storyline for a team that is deeply uninteresting to cover right now.

they're out of the playoff race again. the most interesting established player on the team (laine) isn't coming back this year. the three top prospects are either out (fantilli, johnson) or in the AHL (jiricek). there's no silver lining with special teams (both units are awful) and their two big breakout players (chinakhov, voronkov) are either injured or not playing enough.

TFW has nice AHL stats, but he is what he is at this point: an undersized scoring wing who is almost 25 and hasn't moved the needle in his NHL appearances so far. there are tons of guys with way better AHL production (rocco grimaldi, tj tynan, etc.) who fit that same archetype.

i have no issue with him getting NHL games while the team plays out the string in another lost season – he certainly earned the right to be their first call-up in this scenario – but there's not a deeper narrative to be watching for here.

the only actual compelling storyline with this team right now, imo, is boone jenner's ice time. it's mystifying that the local (and national) media is only occasionally bringing it up. they should be putting pascal's feet to the fire every night that he plays 20+ minutes.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
:eyeroll:
Meyer is a 4th line player, tops. Though it seems like you are dead set to carry his water (no offense / joking).

I wasn’t talking about points anyway, but their playing styles.

I would say Meyer is a borderline NHL 4th liner, and Pyyhtia is at most the same right now. Maybe later in his career Pyyhtia could take a step and fit in higher in an NHL lineup, but right now I would expect less from him than Meyer.

TFW has nice AHL stats, but he is what he is at this point: an undersized scoring wing who is almost 25 and hasn't moved the needle in his NHL appearances so far. there are tons of guys with way better AHL production (rocco grimaldi, tj tynan, etc.) who fit that same archetype.

I agree with your broader point 100%, but I'll add one extremely minor point. I don't think there is a big production gap between Grimaldi/Tynan and TFW. Other than 1 ridiculous 98 pt season for Tynan you can expect all of them to put up 10-25% above point per game in the AHL.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
FWIW, TFW had the fastest skating speed and hardest shot from the CBJ tonight last time I checked.

I think maybe the skillset could be there but we'll see if he puts it together in the opportunity that many people think he never deserved even though he has shown it on the AHL level. What I did see tonight from him was just a lack of chemistry with the players he was playing with. Does that get better over the course of the rest of the season? We'll see. With all of the injuries there probably a good chance he stay here until the season ends with the limited recalls.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
FWIW, TFW had the fastest skating speed and hardest shot from the CBJ tonight last time I checked.

I think maybe the skillset could be there but we'll see if he puts it together in the opportunity that many people think he never deserved even though he has shown it on the AHL level. What I did see tonight from him was just a lack of chemistry with the players he was playing with. Does that get better over the course of the rest of the season? We'll see. With all of the injuries there probably a good chance he stay here until the season ends with the limited recalls.

Where do you see those stats?

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
So if Boqvist is out for any sort of term who comes up? Jiricek? Zboril? Christiansen?

Probably wouldn’t be blanks since he’s just returning from injury

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia

TFW is fighting for a roster spot, on the contrary, sometimes I feel like part of the team has given up.
So if Boqvist is out for any sort of term who comes up? Jiricek? Zboril? Christiansen?

Probably wouldn’t be blanks since he’s just returning from injury
Christiansen is LH. I prefer Blankenburg but they can call Jiříček.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
TFW is fighting for a roster spot, on the contrary, sometimes I feel like part of the team has given up.

Christiansen is LH. I prefer Blankenburg but they can call Jiříček.
Honestly could be the perfect time to call up Jiricek. He can be given boqvist’s PP time

Reactions: VT
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad