Salary Cap: Roster changes till the season starts

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Most people who didn't like Steeg were fairly hopeful that his positive camp/preseason is indicator of a bounce back year which would be helpful for Hawks in that it

1) Improves 3rd line
2) Improves his trade value

I don't see anyone wishing he sucks or gets injured this year

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC
Hopefully this ends up being similar to what happened with Saad in the First Carcillo Era.

An early season injury lets Morin get an extended look in the NHL and he establishes himself as a solid roster player.

CallMeShaft

34 Counts
Apr 14, 2014
The Versteeg injury can go one of two ways:

1. He misses a few games, which would move Morin to the third line, and allow Carcillo to play on the forth line.

2. He gets put on LTIR for a month (or however long he needs) and we bring up TT. Teuvo would get at least 10 games worth of experience in and Versteeg would be given enough time to recover.

Personally, I'm fine either way. I'm just happy he didn't re-injure his ACL. We need a healthy Versteeg come playoff time.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
Anyone listening to the B&B interview with Q right now? (It's actually Bernstein and Barry Rozner)

Bernstein just asked Q "Why does Carcillo think he is better at hockey than he actually is?"

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Tracey Myers ‏@TramyersCSN
#Blackhawks are cap compliant. Bowman said they're league approved. About $100K under it. Have a nice day.

:party:

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Curious if Mashinter on IR won't count against the cap because it was a pre-season injury and they can't send him down, and if he bonus overage isn't taken into account at this time.

Mashinter on regular IR (not LTIR) would count $83,654 against the cap.

When players start the season on IR due to injury during preseason/training camp their cap hits while on IR are pro-rated based on the # of days they were on an NHL roster the previous season. Mashinter was on an NHL roster 29 of 195 possible days last season. So his cap hit on IR would be 29/195 * $562.5k.

This rule only applies to players injured before the season. If a player is injured after the season starts their cap hits count in full on IR no matter how many days on roster in the previous season.

massivegoonery

Jul 31, 2007
Chicago

When players start the season on IR due to injury during preseason/training camp their cap hits while on IR are pro-rated based on the # of days they were on an NHL roster the previous season. Mashinter was on an NHL roster 29 of 195 possible days last season. So his cap hit on IR would be 29/195 * $562.5k.

This rule only applies to players injured before the season. If a player is injured after the season starts their cap hits count in full on IR no matter how many days on roster in the previous season.

Awesome, that's the missing piece.

CoachQ

Aug 23, 2014
Tinley Park, IL.
Anyone listening to the B&B interview with Q right now? (It's actually Bernstein and Barry Rozner)

Bernstein just asked Q "Why does Carcillo think he is better at hockey than he actually is?"

Heard it. Thought Q handled it well. Bernstein is such a pompus you know what who thinks he's above everyone else. Don't know why folks listen to him and his dog faced partner Boers.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
Heard it. Thought Q handled it well. Bernstein is such a pompus you know what who thinks he's above everyone else. Don't know why folks listen to him and his dog faced partner Boers.

I actually flipped over to the competition while in the car a bit this afternoon and was treated to a story about Silvy seeing a rat when he was jogging one day in Wrigleyville and Waddle sharing that he gets up early on garbage days to take out his trash that morning. They also started to plan their Super Bowl party in Silvy's new house and that was enough and I flipped it back. This is why Boers & Bernstein still are #1. LOL.

But as for why I listen to them... mostly habit. B&B Mondays during Bears season were great last season with the Martellus Bennett segment they had each week but now it's Jonathan Bostic unfortunately.

Anyway... about the Hawks...

Q didn't really make any news in the interview. Was very enthusiastic talking about TVR and called Cumiskey "awesome" and mentioned having him in Colorado, while he said Rundblad hasn't had much of an opportunity in the past with other teams but may get more time here. Subtle but clear who is the Q player and who is the Bowman player.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs

I bow down to your cap knowledge.

sketch22

Jul 18, 2011
Rocky Wirtz on Stan Bowman: "There were a lot of reports about different cap numbers, but he had it down to the gnat's ass." #Blackhawks

Best quote ever.

Mad Dog Madison

Oct 2, 2014
Sioux Falls

Please don't listen to B&B. Bernstein is a ****ing troll. Boers retired 5-10 years ago and forgot to tell anyone.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
I think we shouldn't worry about being Cap Compliant... Bowman knows the numbers pretty well and his assistants too.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Anyway... about the Hawks...

Q didn't really make any news in the interview. Was very enthusiastic talking about TVR and called Cumiskey "awesome" and mentioned having him in Colorado, while he said Rundblad hasn't had much of an opportunity in the past with other teams but may get more time here. Subtle but clear who is the Q player and who is the Bowman player.

Heard of the interview coming up while flipping through the dial and tuned in. Bernstein is a jag and I can't stand him, but he did have the stones to ask the hard Carcillo question. (Which I thought was "Why do you {Q} think Carcillo is a better player than I think he is?")

Cumiskey being awesome made spray a little Diet Coke on the dashboard. The guy has missed significant time due to a groin, shoulder and concussion. Went from 19 minutes TOI to the SHL. Oh, and his one playoff series made Leddy look like Lidstrom.

I guess awesome is on a sliding scale.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
HAWKS RELAted stuff from Elliotte Friedman

11. Stan Bowman, asked if the plan is to recall Teuvo Teravainen only when he’s ready to stay for good: “If I was to write a script that’s the way it would go, but sometimes you have to adjust on the fly. It’s not the end of the world if he comes up for two weeks in November.”

12. The Blackhawks try to get contracts done early. Once they got Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews signed, it was about getting under the salary cap (Nick Leddy). Soon, Bowman will begin looking at the next players to deal with, which will be a little tricky until teams have a better idea of the 2015-16 cap number. Two on the list are Marcus Kruger and Brandon Saad, who will be restricted free agents. Kruger is arbitration eligible, Saad not yet.

13. Bowman didn’t come right out and say it, but you get the sense that the development of Chicago’s young defencemen will determine the Blackhawks’ blueline future. Only Duncan Keith, Niklas Hjalmarsson, Brent Seabrook and pleasant surprise Trevor van Riemsdyk are signed beyond this season. Adam Clendening, Klas Dahlbeck, Stephen Johns and Ville Pokka could make the decisions for him.

14. Some execs were surprised at the Leddy deal from the Chicago perspective, because the Blackhawks asked for draft picks from other teams, not players. Bowman said he wanted assets that wouldn’t hurt his cap situation right now, but Pokka (acquired in the trade) makes sense because he is a talented defender and that is where the Blackhawks will have a need. (It’s believed Calgary, Colorado, San Jose and Winnipeg were among those interested in Leddy.)

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-brodeur-wants-out-on-his-own-terms/

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Heard of the interview coming up while flipping through the dial and tuned in. Bernstein is a jag and I can't stand him, but he did have the stones to ask the hard Carcillo question. (Which I thought was "Why do you {Q} think Carcillo is a better player than I think he is?")

Cumiskey being awesome made spray a little Diet Coke on the dashboard. The guy has missed significant time due to a groin, shoulder and concussion. Went from 19 minutes TOI to the SHL. Oh, and his one playoff series made Leddy look like Lidstrom.

I guess awesome is on a sliding scale.

So Stalberg and Pirri can get better with age, but Cumiskey can't. Good to know.

plank

Aug 26, 2008
Long Dark Blues

Stan gave them a lot of options going forward with the defense. Next summer Rozy will be gone, Oduya maybe takes less to stay, and I think most importantly this is when they have to make a big decision on Seabrook. If you can sign him for a cap friendly extension, fine. If not, and you believe one of the prospects are ready, I think that's the time to trade him. Then the year after that Sharp will probably be in the same situation, that's just the reality of the salary cap era.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
I think there is a very, very high likelihood that Stan loves Ville Pokka. Sounds like it was picks from other teams and Pokka from the Isles. From what I've seen of Pokka in the WJC, I'm very happy as well.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
CapGeek ‏@capgeek 2m2 minutes ago
Explanation of #Blackhawks mysterious cap space: #Coyotes retained 27 percent of David Rundblad's contract at last year's trade deadline.

eta: IMO this forgives the 2nd round pick they gave up for him a little bit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad