Roster Building XXII: Too Many Forwards, Hopefully One Cup

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
A Laine deal is going to require a 1.7 million retain with kk going back and we’ll send some high ceiling but high bust prospect types/pick.

Jarvis would have to be a bridge deal
DW knows both Canes view on Laine plus the prospects. Would it make him a good trading partner?

Would be surprising if this takes place beyond the retention challenges.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
DW knows both Canes view on Laine plus the prospects. Would it make him a good trading partner?

Would be surprising if this takes place beyond the retention challenges.
I wouldn’t be surprised at all really if it happened. Well, I’d be surprised if Necas were involved, but if the Canes could somehow figure out the complications , seems like a move right up their alley.

I just don’t see the complications getting sorted.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Cbus is in a bad place with Laine, they’re not dealing from a position of strength. It’s hard to imagine it would take much to acquire him. They’re going to retain unless he goes to a different bottom feeder. This is the only reason why I think we could be involved. It’s a chance to get a guy at a discount. We love clipping coupons.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
using the puckpedia GM tool

We could sign Necas and Jarvis to a combined 11.75 million on 1 year deals, put Fast on LTIR, send nadeau, Jost and Robinson down, and we would have 7.1 million in cap space.

The more retain on Laine the better.

If we could get 2.5 million of retail we could potentially have nadeau start on the roster but send him down day 1 to gain cap space. our cap hit would now be below our Adjusted cap limit so we would gain some space. Also it would allow us to call up stillman for our long road trips to carry an extra defender and forward ( while also gaining space).

Last edited:
Reactions: Tryamw

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Its really dumb that we haven't signed Jarvis, yet. The longer this goes, the more worried I am that we're trying to f*** around and are about to find out with another Offer Sheet, which we would probably match, but kick up a load of bullshit through the fanbase that I really just don't want to see happen again.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Its really dumb that we haven't signed Jarvis, yet. The longer this goes, the more worried I am that we're trying to f*** around and are about to find out with another Offer Sheet, which we would probably match, but kick up a load of bullshit through the fanbase that I really just don't want to see happen again.

My problem is we're apparently trying to get Necas' contract resolved before Jarvis' and all I can think of is "Why?"

Make the one who wants to stick around a priority.

Reactions: TheBigLetowski

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
there isnt an issue with waiting on either player to sign.

Necas will decide what we can do with Jarvis. If Necas is just posturing to get more money and has interest in signing long term, then you play that out. Jarvis has a much longer runway with 4 more years of control. We can easily give Jarvis a 1 year and give him his money next January or June to get both on longer term deals.

Also speaking on Jarvis longer runway, if a trade is possible to get another top 6 player then it is worth playing out.

We have a ton of cap space for next off-season. And it is looking more and more like top end UFAs arent going to be there. So, there is no harm in waiting the market out to see if a top 6 guy pops loose in our price point and giving Jarvis a 1 year deal to extend him in January or June of next year.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Necas is coming to a head with arbitration. It’s a two way street with both parties very aware of the each others position. I highly doubt we haven’t made the effort, both sides are where they are at financially so it’ll probably either go all the way through or until right before which is often where it goes. There’s nothing weird there.

We have months before the season start so I don’t see any fuss with Jarvis. The team unless it makes a trade is set and they already know approx where Jarvis will put them. Offer sheet isn’t very realistic. They’re very rare and you’d think it would’ve happened already. The player has to want to sign it and be completely ok with going to the other team, Jarvis isn’t going anywhere. It’s summer and it gets boring.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
I think it's more just waiting to see what happens with Necas since he's filed for arbitration. Once we have the results of Necas figured out (trade, contract, arbitration award), we'll know EXACTLY how much we have left either to lock Jarvy up for 8 years or to bridge him for a year or two while some other contracts come off the books. Wouldn't surprise me if they already have multiple contracts already preliminarily agreed to pending Necas and we just need to put pen to paper after we get Necas resolved.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I think it's more just waiting to see what happens with Necas since he's filed for arbitration. Once we have the results of Necas figured out (trade, contract, arbitration award), we'll know EXACTLY how much we have left either to lock Jarvy up for 8 years or to bridge him for a year or two while some other contracts come off the books. Wouldn't surprise me if they already have multiple contracts already preliminarily agreed to pending Necas and we just need to put pen to paper after we get Necas resolved.
I also feel like the possibility of acquiring Laine will delay the contract on Jarvis as well. If bridging Jarvis to next year means landing Laine and then locking down Jarvis next year, even if it's more expensive, I think they will make that move to get the additional scorer this year.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I think their waiting to finalize Jarvis until they see what's happening with Necas :sarcasm:.

That said, I"m also in the camp of the team and Jarvis knowing the options and both having essentially agreed to the options so that the Canes can ice an effective set of forwards.

My guess....Jarvis is signed on the 5th or 6th of August.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA

~30:10

Seravalli believes that Necas nixed a trade to a team around the draft. He thinks it’s Buffalo. I presume this in addition to Columbus, as he was a source for that rumor earlier in the Summer.

Winnipeg offered “some combination” of McGroarty, Perfetti and a pick for Necas. He is unsure if it was the Canes or Necas that killed it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad