Roster Building XXI: It Gon' Go Down.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
If I had to guess, we're waiting to see if the deal for Necas emerges. The return for that deal will determine how much we're working with and what we can offer Jake.

Of course, this leaves the risk of having neither Necas or Jake next year
But the only real risk of not having Necas next year is if he sits out right? And I can't see him wanting to tank his value like that.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Necas and Guentzel are both strong offensive players, weak defensively. One of them can get you a nice asset, the other can't. The simplest calculus is to deal Necas for the asset and sign Guentzel, and in doing so, you should have enough space to fill the other holes in the roster by not paying Necas his $7M.

I'd be pleasantly surprised if Necas yields much more than a #10 or #11 overall pick, though. I highly doubt we're getting JJ Peterka from Necas, for example, even straight up 1 for 1.

robbieberns

Feb 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
If i’m spending more than 8.5 on Guentzel I’d rather bring out the bag and spend 10.5-11 on Reinhart. Guentzel is a reliable ppg guy and a decent playoff performer but he’s ultimately a complimentary piece to Aho. Reinhart I’d be happy putting him on the 2nd line and let him drive the play from there.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
If i’m spending more than 8.5 on Guentzel I’d rather bring out the bag and spend 10.5-11 on Reinhart. Guentzel is a reliable ppg guy and a decent playoff performer but he’s ultimately a complimentary piece to Aho. Reinhart I’d be happy putting him on the 2nd line and let him drive the play from there.
Ugh. Someone is going to pay Reinhart for unsustainable career-best performance. Let it not be us.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I see Guentzel as a bit more of a proven quantity at his highest end and we have proof of concept here. I'd easily take Jake in that scenario.

robbieberns

Feb 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
Ugh. Someone is going to pay Reinhart for unsustainable career-best performance. Let it not be us.
Do you see him getting 12-12.5 on the market? Almost 60 goals and almost 100 points in his contract year will definitely get him solid offers, but he’s a beast and has been exactly ppg if you average his last three years. I maintain that we could probably outbid Florida while staying at a respectable number, but he will definitely get wild offers out there from teams with more cap and if he bag chases that’s just how it is.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

robbieberns

Feb 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
I see Guentzel as a bit more of a proven quantity at his highest end and we have proof of concept here. I'd easily take Jake in that scenario.
I don’t think that’s unfair. I like Reinhart’s size and solo game changing ability and view those as cons purely when measured up against the idea of reaching overpayment territory for Guentzel. I’ve got more reservations about hitting higher dollar for Guentzel just cause his size and complimentary play also comes with the context of our top 6.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Good luck to whoever gives Reinhart $10M+. That has terrible idea written all over it.
I was going to disagree, then I saw he shot 24.5% this year which is flat out absurd.

Its the 9th highest shooting % in a season by a player with more than 40 games played and 1 other player with that high of a % scored more than 30. His regression will be swift and painful for someone.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad