Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
We like them but do we LIKE like them?
Lets find out!

fortune-feature.jpg

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Does Suter have any life left in him? Wondering if he could be a good 6/7 D for us at close to league minimum? Could be a good guy to mentor Morrow for a year?
Asking a guy like him to learn how to play man to man at his age for the first time might not be wise.

But what do I know? They do need someone Pesce like to kill penalties.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Suter has become so damned error prone. Stars fans are celebrating the idea of him leaving like they'd celebrate a Cup
I was like...damn I don't remember them giving him a $7M contract after the last buyout to be so happy he's being bought out. Looked it up and it's only like $3.6M for 1 year they're buying out...

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
For all of those who think that Necas will get moved for a 1st round pick only, I'd point out that almost every report indicates that the pick is "part of the package". Now will that change, who knows. But that does appear to be GMET's current thinking...realistic or not.
I believe the Necas move happens at the draft before we know if Jake is coming back. Moving too early leaves the possibility of holes in the lineup, but moving too late can mean substantially less value or putting yourself in a position where you have to move someone to clear room (roster or cap). I hope GMET learned from Waddell not to do the former.
I think we'll have a good read on Jake's intentions by the draft. Our only lever, quite frankly, is the 8th contract year. If it gets to July 1, then, IMO, Jake ain't coming back. If he's not coming back, I believe that changes aspects of the Necas trade calculus.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I was like...damn I don't remember them giving him a $7M contract after the last buyout to be so happy he's being bought out. Looked it up and it's only like $3.6M for 1 year they're buying out...

Suter's metrics are a bit of a mixed bag. He's error-prone as hell but his overall defensive metrics are still not terrible. As a league minimum OGWAC #7, Suter isn't the worst choice, but I'd rather have a younger guy like Haydn Fleury as a #7.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
For all of those who think that Necas will get moved for a 1st round pick only, I'd point out that almost every report indicates that the pick is "part of the package". Now will that change, who knows. But that does appear to be GMET's current thinking...realistic or not.

I think we'll have a good read on Jake's intentions by the draft. Our only lever, quite frankly, is the 8th contract year. If it gets to July 1, then, IMO, Jake ain't coming back. If he's not coming back, I believe that changes aspects of the Necas trade calculus.
To get the 8 years does the player have to sign while the current contract is still valid, or can they still sign 8 years after they hit UFA, assuming they sign back with their most recent team?

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
To get the 8 years does the player have to sign while the current contract is still valid, or can they still sign 8 years after they hit UFA, assuming they sign back with their most recent team?

Based on the wording of Tulsky's most recent interview (specifically "time is running out"), I believe the 8th year is only available while they're under contract with us. As soon as they hit UFA, we can only offer the same 7 as everyone else, and Vancouver will likely offer much more per year

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Suter's metrics are a bit of a mixed bag. He's error-prone as hell but his overall defensive metrics are still not terrible. As a league minimum OGWAC #7, Suter isn't the worst choice, but I'd rather have a younger guy like Haydn Fleury as a #7.
Oh god please no.

Not thrilled by either. Suter was still useful for Dallas, at least from what I watched, but AD's point about man to man is a good one and convincing to me. Coming to the Canes is a rough transition for many D-men, and a guy like Suter who's already lost a step is going to have trouble.

As for Fleury, we've been down that road before.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Based on the wording of Tulsky's most recent interview (specifically "time is running out"), I believe the 8th year is only available while they're under contract with us. As soon as they hit UFA, we can only offer the same 7 as everyone else, and Vancouver will likely offer much more per year
Correct, the 8 year term expires at UFA. If he hits July 1, we can only offer 7 like anyone else.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
If I had to guess, we're waiting to see if the deal for Necas emerges. The return for that deal will determine how much we're working with and what we can offer Jake.

Of course, this leaves the risk of having neither Necas or Jake next year

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
the 8th year option expires on 11:59 of June 30th for to be UFAs.

Thanks! I wasn't sure at all, so this definitely helps, and actually makes me feel a little better about the situation we are in. Hearing there's growing momentum between us and him and knowing he only has about 2 and a half days to get an 8 year deal that would basically take him to retirement, I am weirdly thinking something is going to get done here.

I'm guardedly confident. Whatever the FO chooses to do, their track record has been stellar enough for me to be content either way. If there's any UFA to make an exception for besides Slavin and Aho, however, it's Guentzel.

And agreed here as well. If there's one player I'm willing to go in on with a big contract as a UFA, its Jake. We've already seen the chemistry he immediately had with Aho. Those 2 together with more experience under their belts could be a serious problem in our division for a while. And that extra year allows us to be able to keep the aav low enough to have it be a bit of a bargain over the first few years.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
If I had to guess, we're waiting to see if the deal for Necas emerges. The return for that deal will determine how much we're working with and what we can offer Jake.

Of course, this leaves the risk of having neither Necas or Jake next year
That makes sense, but I'd be hoping for the inverse...that signing Guentzel gives us more clarity on what we need from a Necas trade vis-a-vis futures, nows, and picks.

I'm much more comfortable with a deal heavier in futures if I know we're keeping Jake.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
If it happens, the best thing about the Canes finally choosing to sign a major UFA is that all of the Canes So Cheap allegations are all going to go out the window...nah, what am I kidding, those will never die. Never mind the fact that they also signed last year's biggest UFA, as well.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad