Roster Building XXI: It Gon' Go Down.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
NJ wants Necas?

Oh cool. So how much do they want to be fleeced? 10OA plus who? Yeah, I could take Mercer, sure why not.

We ain't trading Necas inside the Metro unless they significantly pay to buy him

10th overall is a huge pick. I don't think NJ needs to add that much to it. I'd be ecstatic if they even get someone like Holtz on top of the 10th overall. More realistic is someone like Hameenaho, Chase Stillman, or an extra pick in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Even if Silayev (unlikely) falls to the 10th spot? There's always a situation where going defense is the right idea.
This would be the antithesis of a winning team’s schedule. 4-5 years for a defender to even contribute doesn’t do anything for us. Even a 3 year wait on a winger doesn’t make sense unless a now asset comes along

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
We won’t draft a defender in the first rounder.
We shouldn't rule it out. The F crop this year is shallow and weak. It's not a good draft year overall, but it's an average D year and a below-average F year.

The teams that lose this draft will be the ones that do stupid things like bypass BPA because they're too rigid to draft philosophies.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
We shouldn't rule it out. The F crop this year is shallow and weak. It's not a good draft year overall, but it's an average D year and a below-average F year.

The teams that lose this draft will be the ones that do stupid things like bypass BPA because they're too rigid to draft philosophies.

I'd go as far as saying it is an above-average defensive year, especially in the top half of the first round.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Is everyone thinking it will maybe be something like #10 and Mercer for Necas? Is that fair for both sides?
That’s quite unrealistic, at least in my opinion.

More like Marino + 10OA. I doubt they would get much more than 10OA, that’s the main piece. Doesn’t mean we like it, but that’s how I think the Devils would view it

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
That’s quite unrealistic, at least in my opinion.

More like Marino + 10OA. I doubt they would get much more than 10OA, that’s the main piece. Doesn’t mean we like it, but that’s how I think the Devils would view it

I'd be really happy with Marino + 10th. Marino's one of the better buy-low candidates at RHD available in the entire league.

Reactions: Tryamw

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Dunno about anyone else, but this past day has screamed "Media Manipulation" to me. After weeks of hearing about how Carolina only wants a "hockey trade" and how teams feel the price is too high, we're suddenly hearing two separate teams are apparently offering their high draft picks for him?

Someone is trying to manipulate his price.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
selling Necas for marino and 10oa would be disappointing
I tend to agree with this. It’s not the end of the world, but they’d have to know that Guentzel was coming back and/or they have trades lined up to backfill the top 6.

I don’t think Guentzel comes back, so I think if they’re trading Necas, you better darn well make sure you’re getting a similar scoring forward or ready-to-step-up prospect scorer.

A high draft pick is great, but does nothing to help win next season.

In a vacuum, 10OA for Necas is pretty good value.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I tend to agree with this. It’s not the end of the world, but they’d have to know that Guentzel was coming back and/or they have trades lined up to backfill the top 6.

I don’t think Guentzel comes back, so I think if they’re trading Necas, you better darn well make sure you’re getting a similar scoring forward or ready-to-step-up prospect scorer.

A high draft pick is great, but does nothing to help win next season.
Marino doesn’t make sense for us long term with chatty already on and then Morrow taking over for burns in 25-26. None of those 3 are physical defenders who can handle net fronts. Marino is sound defensively but he doesn’t fit what we would need. Then I have shown his porous defense on odd man rushes which we give up when we give up chances.

The answer isn’t just make the left side beefy. We are a m2m system, it doesn’t work that way.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
I'm going to be confident in my stance. I think Guentzel will stay a Cane. If he doesn't, though, no way are they going to also move Necas. One or the other will be a Cane unless the Necas return is a right-now top-6er. They're not going to make any moves that actively make their team worse.

Last edited:

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
I'm going to be confident in my stance. I think Guentzel will stay a Cane. If he doesn't, though, no way are they doing to also move Necas. One or the other will be a Cane unless the Necas return is a right-now top-6er. They're not going to make any moves that actively make their team worse.
Idk if Guentzel gets to July 1st he’s gone. Canucks just cleared space and will likely go to 9 mill which the canes won’t match on a 7 year deal

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Idk if Guentzel gets to July 1st he’s gone. Canucks just cleared space and will likely go to 9 mill which the canes won’t match on a 7 year deal

None of it bothers me. I think Guentzel's somewhat harder to replace than Hamilton was, but who knows? Maybe they make the controversial choice again and are confident that they can somewhat mend the problems with the Necas camp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad