Roster Building XXI: It Gon' Go Down.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I think this is the source:

That could be a hint. It could also be an agent trying to drum up interest in his client.
This was actually where I saw it:

Some notes about Necas not being a fit there too since all they have to offer is futures, as well

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
We've offered a 5x5 contract, I think we all sense that he's game is going to take a nose dive earlier due to injuries, he's an absolute unit in shutting down opposing players, but how long till he loses that step is the question.

He’s great. He’s slowed in the last year or two while not losing effectiveness, but it’s made us all varying levels of concerned about how he’ll age. He’ll be a top 4 guy for whoever signs him for the next year or two, then whoever signs him better hope he keeps it up.

He’s great around the net and on the boards, just always had good reads and positioning. Great stick work, always finds a way to be in the way of passes down low. Blocks a lot of plays. We don’t have a replacement for him and he’ll be missed.

In short, when healthy, he's one of the best defensive defensemen in the league, and would be held in MUCH higher standing in Raleigh if it weren't for Slavin completely overshadowing him. Won't give you much offensively, but he's excellent at getting the puck away from the net and out of the zone. The problem in recent years has been the staying healthy part, and that he's lost a step in his quickness. Still a great player to have and absolutely can win you a Cup if he stays healthy.

I'll also add this... if it weren't for us being confident that Nikishin was coming over in 2025-26, we'd be showing a decent amount of urgency to bring him back. We aren't going to be able to replace his play next year, and we're going to settle for trying to make due until Nikishin comes over.

His absence will hurt, but the front office not retaining him was unsurprising.

Thanks very much for the great feedback!!

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
We have had atleast 70+ goalies the last 4 seasons play 10+ games.

Gibson's GSAx/60 ranking
23-24: 61st
22-23: 60th
21-22: 52nd
20-21: 35th

just aging and getting worst.

Anaheim had abysmal STs this year but they had okay EV defense. they were EV strength for almost 8 times more than SH.

View attachment 887597
So, trade proposed in an earlier comment is probably a non-starter.....

Reactions: Nikishin Go Boom

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Who do you like at 11OA?

1719434177607.png

1719434267188.png

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
Interested to see who this team is that is close to a deal if they go thru with it for Necas. My guess Buffalo. Not sure what to think of him talking about Guentzel and being close. Maybe they are close and Guentzel wants to test the market but if he tests market my guess is we are out. The 8th year is huge advantage right now.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Honestly, LeBrun's inklings sound about right based on what we know and what Tulsky divulges. I'm sure Guentzel would be the closest to coming back, as we've heard. I think Skjei probably would be a bit of a toss up where I wouldn't be shocked if they do it pending some other things. And Pesce seems gone. Turbo definitely seemed more on the side we've all thought of from Tulsky as far as, if it's another team friendly deal, sure, but otherwise, he's gone.

The Necas trade will be very interesting to see if it gets done. Good to see they are already publicly putting it out there that unless someone enters stupid-land, we'll just match an offer sheet and we aren't afraid to have him stick around next year if needed.

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
It's Larry Brooks, but he also put in his Rangers article today that he's also been told that we're putting in a "serious effort" to bring Guentzel back.

by which time Guentzel probably will have already signed with his new team. (It may not be a new team, as we’re told Carolina is engaged in a serious effort to turn No. 59’s rental status into a long term relationship.)

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
It's Larry Brooks, but he also put in his Rangers article today that he's also been told that we're putting in a "serious effort" to bring Guentzel back.

There’s multiple reporters who have said they are trying to bring him back and now Tulsky basically confirmed it. Pesce is gone TT is gone. Skjei is gonna get paid more than we will offer is my guess. Nashville, Utah 2 teams who could use him

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Well it seems to be a futures trade if that’s to be believed. We haven’t had a decent pick in a bit so presumably we like someone and are restocking. We could flip it but I bet we just take the pick. If Eiserman was around at 11 I could see us take him.

I’d be a bit surprised if Buffalo gave that pick up.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
Am I crazy to be interested in Krebs as a throw in?

He’s done nothing so far in the NHL, buts he’s still young and I think might be a good top 9 option on the cheap.
Yes...because their main motivator to include Krebs or Jokiharju is to reduce the value of the main piece.

I don't want Krebs+ in place of holding the line for a better F whether Quinn, Peterka, or Kulich. I don't want Krebs +2/3rd instead of a 1st.

I also don't want Krebs because he's a bust two organizations have given up on at this point. Flat bust.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
If the Canes successfully re-sign Guentzel, 11th overall + for Necas is a huge return. That's a high enough pick where a draft choice could actually play within the next year or two, if everything goes right. I hope it happens.

I truly don't care about any of the other UFAs. There are plenty of other options around the league that can successfully work on our team for less than they'll command. Guentzel is the big fish actually worth paying IMO.

Last edited:

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
Buffalo has a lot of prospects that could jump
In and play next year for the canes on a cheap salary which could allow us to bring back Guentzel. Some of buffalos prospects played full seasons in the ahl last year which would give them a leg up on guys like unger sorum, nadeau etc.

I think it's a real chance at Guentzel 8x8.5m and then Necas for #11 + Joker
Would prefer one of their forward prospects rather than Joker he’s just meh. They’ve talked about wanting a star package back just don’t see them moving him for 11th overall and a bottom pairing d man

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad