Roster Building XX: How Many Patents Does Your GM Have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Word is NJ is looking to trade no 10 for a goalie.

How do those here feel about Koochie for 10?

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Word is NJ is looking to trade no 10 for a goalie.

How do those here feel about Koochie for 10?

Who would be our goalie then? Raanta seems cooked and probably done with the organization. Freddie can't stay healthy or consistent throughout the regular season, let alone the playoffs. Like, I know this organization puts zero stock into getting a good goalie, but you gotta figure losing every playoff series due (at least partially) to losing the goalie matchup would eventually spark something.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
And back to playing goalie roulette in the short term. Would mean bringing in someone like Samsonov, Kahkonen, Driedger, or Ned behind Andersen for next year.
kahkonen wouldnt be a bad short term goalie contract anyways. Good HD save percentage numbers, which we need, and he was basically even in GSAx. his GAA was high but SJS defense was giving up the chances.

if Oilers want a short term veteran backup for Skinner for a season, I would do a swap of Andersen for Kulak. I would even eat some of Andersen's cap hit to make it work.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Why on earth would we do this?
I'm trying to get inside the head of the borg here.

How much does Rod trust Koochie if he's starting an Andersen who can't stay on his feet?

The borg has a certain value on every pick and different player valuations. Let's say they value koochie around a 30 oa pick today.

Would they be willing to trade him for 10 oa, where they may be able to find another Jarvis? How do they balance the priority between winning transactions and on ice success?

Then looking to patchwork the goaltending situation? Are they higher on someone in the system than we realize based on scouting or metrics?

The borg....financially related....was very quick to cut ties with Ned.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I'm trying to get inside the head of the borg here.

How much does Rod trust Koochie if he's starting an Andersen who can't stay on his feet?

The borg has a certain value on every pick and different player valuations. Let's say they value koochie around a 30 oa pick today.

Would they be willing to trade him for 10 oa, where they may be able to find another Jarvis? How do they balance the priority between winning transactions and on ice success?

Then looking to patchwork the goaltending situation? Are they higher on someone in the system than we realize based on scouting or metrics?

The borg....financially related....was very quick to cut ties with Ned.

lmao yes, yes they would.

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
Sure but clogging the middle/being physical is a key playoff requirement.

Tampa, Vegas, Florida are recent examples.
This right here is why I have my doubts in “the system” bringing home a championship.

The MtM defense is too easy to exploit come playoff time. All teams really need to be willing to do is set a few “oops pick” here and there, let their forwards gain separation and without truly elite one on one goaltending pucks end up in the back of the net. If the defense would park their asses in front of the net and cross check and knock the shit out of guys maybe they could force more perimeter play out of their opponents.

The difference between FL and CAR is FL will go all in, completely sellout and trust their defense and goalie to play defense.

IMO part of CAR forwards seeming unwillingness to get to the middle of the ice is due to constantly floating in no man’s land so they don’t blow their defensive assignments when a defensemen decides to take a shift in the o-zone behind the net. The defensive system seems too complicated at times, while the offensive system feels too simple. It’s weird.

That and the whole special teams collapsing year after year.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Question re: Burns. He has a 3-team NTC and is due to receive a bonus on 7/1 of $1.3M.

Does make his cap hit via a trade around $4M or is it just a cash reduction for an acquiring team (Sharks are subsidizing $2.8M of the $8M hit).

I don't believe the Canes would move him but it looks like his contract is movable.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Question re: Burns. He has a 3-team NTC and is due to receive a bonus on 7/1 of $1.3M.

Does make his cap hit via a trade around $4M or is it just a cash reduction for an acquiring team (Sharks are subsidizing $2.8M of the $8M hit).

I don't believe the Canes would move him but it looks like his contract is movable.
AAV remains constant. SBs just change the calculus for the daily money expenditure of the owning club.

Burns could pick 3 teams with cap issues and basically ensure a full no trade clause.

edit:

july 1st he'll get a 1.36 mil check from carolina and 640k check from SJ
every day on the roster he earns (lets assume 194 days) he gets 10,515 from Carolina and 4948 from SJ.

he counts 27216 dollars against the salary cap every day he is on our roster.

Last edited:
Reactions: chaz4hockey

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009

Just a cash reduction.

Chances he is moved are very low.

Reactions: DaveG
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad