Roster Building (& Training Camp) XXIII: Re-signings, Re-considerations, Recriminations

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014

Lempo

Feb 23, 2014
Bryce be like, "Yea I'll sign it... if you give me the performance bonus."
"Performance bonus... how much?"

1728497905682.png

Lempo

Feb 23, 2014
Why would the PA complain about overpaying a player for any reason?
1) The apparent lack of signing bonuses which would help the rookie player setting himself up in a new town.
2) There should be at least the optics that the price finding for the player contracts is based on actual player-related things. This time it may be an over-payment, but what if the next time the team has $760k in cap room and needs a player to sign a contract that's under-paid to what he would get in proper contracting and starts playing hardball with it? What the team can afford to pay is not-allowed evidence in the salary arbitration process, so it shouldn't be allowed to have an effect in the entry-level system either.

chaz4hockey

Old man but still a PP2 Candidate
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Holy f*** they actually devised an ELC so that it gives them the maximum benefit for the LTIR purposes.

This is a thing that should aggravate the league and the PA and really the everyone concerned.
Let's see: combine the guy with a PHD in Chemistry + Tyler Dellow's background and I fully expect that the combo will deftly navigate around the League's cap program.

Bravo Canes!!

the press release was illuminating--
< “Tyler has an encyclopedic knowledge of hockey data and is both creative and detail-oriented in applying it to building understanding of performance and tactics,” said Tulsky. “He is also an attorney with extensive experience in negotiation, and a strategic thinker who sees the big picture. Tyler is a strong manager who cares deeply about employee development.
As assistant general manager, Dellow will be responsible for overseeing data analysis and compliance with the NHL’s salary cap and collective bargaining agreement.">

btw: weren't the Canes just slightly above the Cap with the Blake add?

Can they play the waiver game, send Jost down to Chicago for a few days and then bring him back getting the team in compliance?

Last edited:
Reactions: Lempo

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I haven't seen anything in Blake's game yet that is better than FUS. Obviously he's a Rod favourite, so any mistakes won't matter.
Blake has 2yrs and about 15-20lbs of a head start on FUS.

Edit - well m, certainly not close to 15-20lbs, but the thought remains -Blake has had more time to prepare his body for the rigors of the NHL. FUS, not so much, a year or 2 in the minors will do him wonders, especially if they want to convert him into a the righty C they covet.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
I haven't seen anything in Blake's game yet that is better than FUS. Obviously he's a Rod favourite, so any mistakes won't matter.

Blake has 2yrs and about 15-20lbs of a head start on FUS.
Yea FUS got blown up a couple times in preseason due to his smaller size. That plus I think RBA wants FUS to focus on learning to play C so he'll benefit more by being in the AHL than NHL. Blake is probably the "more mature" player physically and from a standpoint of playing a lower-line "grinding" role compared to FUS/Nadeau...kinda like Drury

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
FUS' edge work was superb in the preseason & unless traded for a good asset, FUS is going to be a Cane in one or two years.

This is the year that he gets work on NA ice and Chicago develops him as a C

After this year, Staal has 2 left and in '27, the C's could be Aho 1C, FUS 2C, KK 3C, Drury 4C

Last edited:

baconandbread

Oct 30, 2019
FUS' edge work was superb in the preseason & unless traded for a good asset, FUS is going to be a Cane in one or two years.

This is the year that he gets work on NA ice and Chicago develops him as a C

After this year, Staal has 2 left and in '27, the C's will be Aho 1C, FUS 2C, KK 3C, Drury 4C
Totally agree. I guess Rod's comment about mistakes bothered me more than anything. He has no problem dropping people that aren't his favourites to the 4th line after one mistake but Staal and Martinook could go a whole season without scoring and be praised.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I imagine Jost will clear, but the NHL depth at forward is going to take a hit if he’s claimed.

Granted, Jost didn’t show much during preseason, but I think he’s an NHL level player, at least serviceable on the 4th line or as a temporary plug higher up. If he gets claimed and with Lemieux hurt for the foreseeable future, not really much else there. Carrier is bound to get hurt at some point too.

Nadeau and FUS aren’t your typical bottom 6 call ups. I suppose I’m forgetting about Jaska, he didn’t look horribly out of place.

All that said, I hope they sneak Jost through…

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
Totally agree. I guess Rod's comment about mistakes bothered me more than anything. He has no problem dropping people that aren't his favourites to the 4th line after one mistake but Staal and Martinook could go a whole season without scoring and be praised.
Staal and Martinook aren't there to score goals.

Edit: Not that I disagree with your point. He does tend to give certain folks more rope then they probably deserve at times.

Last edited:

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Couple of things that explain:
Blake is a rookie and RBA similar to Jarvis is willing to give Jackson a window to learn
Blake appears to be physically ready whereby FUS could use a couple of years to gain strength/weight

Staal and Martinook aren't there to score goals.
Minute eaters but with Carrier I'm excited to think that the trio are going to represent one of the NHL's best ball buster lines. Hope they all stay healthy.

Last edited:

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I think likely was a combination of Blake being versatile enough to play different roles including the bottom six, being a couple of years older than FUS, and the physical work he did coming into camp played a big role. FUS very young and very slight. He also plays a game with a lot more depth to it than Blake’s, but it’s most likely best used in the top six. Looks like we’re starting Blake in the bottom six.

I agree Rod has his favorites and Blake earned his love in the gym maybe more than on the ice. If he doesn’t do much and FUS is crushing it in Chicago maybe it gets reversed.

Last edited:

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
I imagine Jost will clear, but the NHL depth at forward is going to take a hit if he’s claimed.

Granted, Jost didn’t show much during preseason, but I think he’s an NHL level player, at least serviceable on the 4th line or as a temporary plug higher up. If he gets claimed and with Lemieux hurt for the foreseeable future, not really much else there. Carrier is bound to get hurt at some point too.

Nadeau and FUS aren’t your typical bottom 6 call ups. I suppose I’m forgetting about Jaska, he didn’t look horribly out of place.

All that said, I hope they sneak Jost through…
Eh, you just claim someone else's tweener or trade a minimal asset for a Jacob Pelletier type

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad