Roster Building (& Training Camp) XXIII: Re-signings, Re-considerations, Recriminations

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Think anyone takes a flyer on Suzuki?
No. Most teams have plenty of older AAAA guys in a similar position, and he has not exactly shown well at camp this year.

The Canes had a spot open for a rookie, Suzuki didn't perform, and it's looking like Blake is gonna be it.

Another note: Gagner released. I thought he did well, wonder if he finds a home elsewhere.

Last edited:

chaz4hockey

Old man but still a PP2 Candidate
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Summary--
Goaltenders:
Spencer Martin, Yaniv Perets and Ruslan Khazheyev,

Forwards:
Bradly Nadeau, Felix Unger Sorum, Noel Gunler, Justin Robidas, Juha Jaaska, Skyler Brind'Amour and Gleb Trikozov

Defense:
Aleksi Heimosalmi, Scott Morrow, Charles-Alexis Legault, Domenick Fensore and Ronan Seeley have been assigned to the Chicago Wolves of the American Hockey League (AHL). Defenseman Antoni Honka has been loaned to HC Ajoie of the Swiss National League.

Waivers:
Forwards Josiah Slavin and Ryan Suzuki and defenseman Ty Smith have been placed on waivers for the purpose of being reassigned to Chicago, and

Released:
Sam Gagner and Rocco Grimaldi have been released from their professional tryout (PTO) contracts.

Surprised that Bryce Montgomery made first cut (edit: just signed to ELC). Rest of list:
1728244175760.png

Last edited:

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014
Methinks you are thinking of the wrong Slavin with a new contract that would make it a joke.
Knowing lempo and minjaben, it was quite intentional
Thanks for the credit, NGB, but alas, totally unfounded. :laugh: Didn't even think we were handing out contracts for the Slavins left and right, as there never was doubt Jaccob was going to sign his and so it feels like it was a thousand years ago. Legit good old time contact and not one of these nepotism ones we only do nowadays.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Gagner probably goes to Europe. I'm fine with the decision, he played fine but if Blake is ready, then get him in.

My guess is Montreal takes a shot at Suzuki, if not, I don't see him being an NHLer
I thought the same. Could definitely see Nick saying take a flyer on my brother to management. Plus more Canes/Habs retaliation fun.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Stillman doesn’t count against the cap because he didn’t play in the nhl last year. So no need to maximize ltir space and keep Montgomery if that is the case. Why not SOIR though?

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Could be, but I think the roster needs one of the kids or another skill forward some other way in order to succeed.

We’ve got Martinook - Staal - Carrier locked in, which is just Martinook - Staal - Fast by another name. Great. The top 6 is essentially the same top 6 we came into last year with (swap Roslovic for TT). What we’re missing is that “skilled” (quotes doing heavy work there) 4th line that can chip in offensively instead of just eat minutes. Drury-Blake could be the start of a line like that. Robinson - Drury - Jost/Lemieux on the other hand…

Once you’ve established that, then you get creative with moving folks around. Blake (or insert another kid) looks good? Play him in the top 6 for a change of pace, send Roslovic or KK down, etc. Noesen was perfect in that 4th line role last year for that exact reason - could pitch in offensively from the 4th line or not look out of place for a spell in the top 6.

But without that one last “skilled” forward, we’re lacking punch from the 4th line IMO. And we don’t have a good enough top 6 to be able to call the 4th line an afterthought.
I agree we could really use one of the kids to raise the skill level and balance our lineup. I’m not convinced that we as a team believe that shorting a kid on offensive development as a top six guy in the minors so we could have that little tweak on the Canes unless we felt the kid was truly the best choice would be the plan. Also Rod has no problems with rolling with defensive minded vets who do what he asks like pros.

Yet Blake being close allows flexibility. He could go back and forth. My take on Blake was always that of the current crop of prospects he was the utility knife. He could be a pesky forechecker with a modicum of skill in the bottom six, or he could be the speedy goal scorer in the top six. His Dad did both and there’s a solid connection between the two. I don’t see our other forward prospects having the level of versatility Blake does going up and down the lineup despite playing a fairly simple game compared to someone like FUS, so I wouldn’t be shocked if it goes like you say.

Last edited:

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I agree we could really use one of the kids to raise the skill level and balance our lineup. I’m not convinced that we as a team believe that shorting a kid on offensive development as a top six guy in the minors so we could have that little tweak on the Canes unless we felt the kid was truly the best choice would be the plan. Also Rod has no problems with rolling with defensive minded vets who do what he asks like pros.

Yet Blake being close allows flexibility. He could go back and forth. My take on Blake was always that off the current crop of prospects he was the utility knife. He could be a pesky forechecker with a modicum of skill in the bottom six, or he could be the speedy goal scorer in the top six. His Dad did both and there’s a solid connection between the two. I don’t see our other forward prospects having the level of versatility Blake does going up and down the lineup despite playing a fairly simple game compared to someone like FUS, so I wouldn’t be shocked if it goes like you say.

Would you perhaps say that our 1,000 point, multiple Selke winning coach particularly values versatile forwards who can both score and grind? Rod wants a team of nothing but Rod Brind'Amour clones, and it's hard to deny that that would be a winning team.

FUS looked ready as a wing. But he's also a skill guy who you have to play in a skill role, and if they're going to move him to a new, more difficult position because they think that highly of him, that has to be done in the AHL. With Blake, you have a guy who can play any role in the lineup. And he's got the skill to grow offensively.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Would you perhaps say that our 1,000 point, multiple Selke winning coach particularly values versatile forwards who can both score and grind? Rod wants a team of nothing but Rod Brind'Amour clones, and it's hard to deny that that would be a winning team.

FUS looked ready as a wing. But he's also a skill guy who you have to play in a skill role, and if they're going to move him to a new, more difficult position because they think that highly of him, that has to be done in the AHL. With Blake, you have a guy who can play any role in the lineup. And he's got the skill to grow offensively.
Agreed, but does he have the defensive mindset that Rod needs at this point? He’s more of an individual goal scorer who has the raw attributes to be an annoying forechecker.

Robinson has the same speed (probably more), knows how to play in the NHL, won’t make rookie mistakes and will do whatever Rod tells him to do. He can chip in 10 goals right now.

I know we all want the kid but that’s a mind bending conundrum in our coaches brain. Blake’s case is in what we’ve both said, he can play up and down the lineup more. Or we play them both which is what I’d do and sit guys like Lemieux and Jost.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Agreed, but does he have the defensive mindset that Rod needs at this point? He’s more of an individual goal scorer who has the raw attributes to be an annoying forechecker.

Robinson has the same speed (probably more), knows how to play in the NHL, won’t make rookie mistakes and will do whatever Rod tells him to do. He can chip in 10 goals right now.

I know we all want the kid but that’s a mind bending conundrum in our coaches brain. Blake’s case is in what we’ve both said, he can play up and down the lineup more. Or we play them both which is what I’d do and sit guys like Lemieux and Jost.
We have 25 on the roster, 2 of whom we can't send down due to injuries, which is to say, we have a 23 man roster. Blake is on it.

If you have a rookie on the roster, you intend to play him. Lemieux and Jost are utility guys without any offensive upside, ideal 13Fs. We need players with upside as regulars, and Blake has it. And if Blake is a puck hound, that's plenty. He's not exactly a defensive void out there, even if he's not Jordan Staal. We have enough one way, defensive only forwards.

chaz4hockey

Old man but still a PP2 Candidate
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL

I'm confident they will make the right decision and of course injuries always come into play.

Re: Blake - I'm thinking this is a reasonable year to play a young guy in the lineup for development as I believe our next good window doesn't start until next year (unless they acquire a top 6 guy at the deadline of course).

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
We have 25 on the roster, 2 of whom we can't send down due to injuries, which is to say, we have a 23 man roster. Blake is on it.

If you have a rookie on the roster, you intend to play him. Lemieux and Jost are utility guys without any offensive upside, ideal 13Fs. We need players with upside as regulars, and Blake has it. And if Blake is a puck hound, that's plenty. He's not exactly a defensive void out there, even if he's not Jordan Staal. We have enough one way, defensive only forwards.
I absolutely agree we have enough defensive only forwards, it’s the coach that’s the question mark there as he tends to coach like you can never have enough. He seems intent on acknowledging that we need some offensive help which is why I’m inclined to believe Blake could make it. I just haven’t been sold it’s a for sure thing yet, or something that lasts all season. If we suck then I’d think for sure he’d get a longer look if he was fitting in. If we’re competing and those vets are fighting for spots when they get a chance I think Blake could be in and out. Still wouldn’t shock me if he’s the last sent down or sent down after a week or two depending on how those weeks go.

Ps…Jost has some upside offensively. He should be right where Roslovic is that way, but there’s no consistency there which is why he isn’t. He could have a hot week or two throughout the season and this team may be like Rod’s first team where you have guys like Mckegg and Manu popping off for a game or two here or there which was needed for the team to make the playoffs.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad