Roster Building (& Training Camp) XXIII: Re-signings, Re-considerations, Recriminations

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
True. Blake will be the first priority to make the roster based on those factors and giving him a chance to play with the big squad
I guess I'm also intrigued to see the strategy with back to back games coming up too. Seems odd to close out the preseason that way but I'm guessing they still send the AHL crew on the road. If they don't, I just thought putting a few of the better performing rookies with some vet talent in one of the games would be a good idea in a number of ways.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I dont know, maybe I am just a bit fed up with the "Rod style Canes", especially now when Rod made such a long contract. Yeah it is effective to a certain point but it just seems that in playoffs other teams figure it out.. and its also just a boring way to play hockey. Sometimes it just feels that this kind of system is just some data analysts wet dream
How quickly we forget the Karmanos years post the cup win. 1 playoff appearance in 12 seasons, no playoffs for 9 straight, spending just above the floor, crappy attendance, boring (and bad) hockey, a roster full of AHL/NHL tweeters, a location nobody wanted to play in and constant rumors of relocation.

Yeah, sucks that Rod has such a long contract and the team uses analytics. Won't they stop for a moment and think of us fans?

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
How quickly we forget the Karmanos years post the cup win. 1 playoff appearance in 12 seasons, no playoffs for 9 straight, spending just above the floor, crappy attendance, boring (and bad) hockey, a roster full of AHL/NHL tweeters, a location nobody wanted to play in and constant rumors of relocation.

Yeah, sucks that Rod has such a long contract and the team uses analytics. Won't they stop for a moment and think of us fans?
We also know that Dundon would prefer to hire a coach on the cheap. That is unlikely to work out as well with coaches that don't have an insanely strong tie to the franchise. Even with a good budget you can wander in the wilderness searching for a good coach for a long ass time.

I've said it time and again but some folks might need to be careful what they wish for. Runs like this are far from a given.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
We also know that Dundon would prefer to hire a coach on the cheap. That is unlikely to work out as well with coaches that don't have an insanely strong tie to the franchise. Even with a good budget you can wander in the wilderness searching for a good coach for a long ass time.

I've said it time and again but some folks might need to be careful what they wish for. Runs like this are far from a given.

Seriously. Rod has his faults. No one is perfect, after all. But his approach has us in the playoffs every year, often with a serious chance at winning. We have the 3rd best record in the NHL for the last 5 years. We're one of the top teams in playoff wins over that period too. And we have a true identity and a leader who actually gives a shit about this team specifically, not just about their own career. The power of that can't be overstated.

And then there's this: Name someone available who's better. You have to compare to the alternatives, not to theoretical perfection.

We have a damn good thing going right now, and Rod is at the center of it. I don't agree with everything he does, but at this point, as long has he wants to coach, I want him to be coach.

chaz4hockey

Old man but still a PP2 Candidate
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Seriously. Rod has his faults. No one is perfect, after all. But his approach has us in the playoffs every year, often with a serious chance at winning. We have the 3rd best record in the NHL for the last 5 years. We're one of the top teams in playoff wins over that period too. And we have a true identity and a leader who actually gives a shit about this team specifically, not just about their own career. The power of that can't be overstated.

And then there's this: Name someone available who's better. You have to compare to the alternatives, not to theoretical perfection.

We have a damn good thing going right now, and Rod is at the center of it. I don't agree with everything he does, but at this point, as long has he wants to coach, I want him to be coach.
Agreed and I believe he has crafted the style to account for the type of players (with a couple of exceptions, ie Necas) that the Canes have rostered. We've never had a full roster of offensive juggernauts to test his flexability.

I suspect that if his roster had McDavid-Drai or MackInnon-Makar that his crafted style of play would be different, at least for that top line or two.

I'd add that the Aho line with that Pittsburgh trade deadline acq. was much more freewheeling that we had seen before. Thus, I believe Coach can adjust.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Agreed and I believe he has crafted the style to account for the type of players (with a couple of exceptions, ie Necas) that the Canes have rostered. We've never had a full roster of offensive juggernauts to test his flexability.

I suspect that if his roster had McDavid-Drai or MackInnon-Makar that his crafted style of play would be different, at least for that top line or two.

I'd add that the Aho line with that Pittsburgh trade deadline acq. was much more freewheeling that we had seen before. Thus, I believe Coach can adjust.
I mean, the system is "get it deep, get it back, and bring defensemen into the play quickly", but I'm sure there's some wiggle room in that -- if you get one on one coverage with speed and can beat your man, for instance.

That doesn't mean gambling that you can split the D-men into the zone and being wrong most of the time. No matter how fast Necas thinks he is, he still tries to play hero too much for my taste, and that's when it's most likely to come back the other way in a hurry when he turns it over in the neutral zone.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
"Potentially youthful roster". Damn, so did we get back to that "just a couple more years and we will make a deep run"? 😁

And yeah, I do think Canes will be a playoff team but to be honest I dont just dont see this roster winning a cup. 🤷‍♂️ Hopefully I am wrong, but winning a cup would require huge steps from a alot of guys.

I dont know, maybe I am just a bit fed up with the "Rod style Canes", especially now when Rod made such a long contract. Yeah it is effective to a certain point but it just seems that in playoffs other teams figure it out.. and its also just a boring way to play hockey. Sometimes it just feels that this kind of system is just some data analysts wet dream

Florida plays a very similar system. They Rod Style'd their way to the cup.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
We also know that Dundon would prefer to hire a coach on the cheap.

I don't know if that is true, especially when you consider that a coach's salary is not capped and our team is in the middle of a contention window. What Dundon is more known for being cheap about is for positions that don't directly impact the success of the team, such as, say, the TV announcers.

Reactions: chaz4hockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad