Speculation: Roster Building Thread XLVIII: Draft day is a comin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYRKING30

Apr 29, 2011
NYC
Rebuilding? I thought everybody wants to continue the Ranger way and sign Stamkos for 11 mill x 7?? This board is hysterical one day we tear it all down, the next we are trading everyone above the age of 22, the next its hey we are one or 2 moves away from being a real contender again. Talk about identity crisis.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Compete for what? The Penguins have Crosby. The Rangers don't have a player on the same level. When Crosby is right,he is the best player in the game.

Crosby was great. But the rangers made it to the SCF and ECF the two years prior without a Crosby in their lineup. The team was much more well rounded. This year they werent.

RangerBlues

Apr 27, 2004
BRONX NYC
Brass can get two first round picks and a top prospect.
KK can get a first with his contract.
Nash is expensive. Never gonna be the guy. Does everything well except score goals in the playoffs.
I don't think he is going anywhere.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Nash is expensive. Never gonna be the guy. Does everything well except score goals in the playoffs.

He's not worth that much

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Rebuilding? I thought everybody wants to continue the Ranger way and sign Stamkos for 11 mill x 7?? This board is hysterical one day we tear it all down, the next we are trading everyone above the age of 22, the next its hey we are one or 2 moves away from being a real contender again. Talk about identity crisis.

Or it's a collection of dozens of unique people with different opinions on how to best proceed.

NYRKING30

Apr 29, 2011
NYC

I think trading Nash isn't gonna be as hard as everyone thinks, why go to a barren FA market to sign a guy for a minimum of 5 years minimum of 6 mill instead of getting a guy who is signed just for one more year after next season. Now the package is a different story as to what GMJG views his worth as opposed to other GM's views.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Compete for what? The Penguins have Crosby. The Rangers don't have a player on the same level. When Crosby is right,he is the best player in the game.

Pittsburgh didn't win because they had Crosby. They won because they had a team commitment to defense on the same level as when we played LA in the Final a few years ago. San Jose, down 3-2 in the series, 2-1 in the game, had exactly ONE shot on goal in the 3rd period about 17 minutes in and TWO, that's TWO, in the entire period. That's not Crosby. That's a team commitment to being in the right place almost all the time, executing passes, and blocking shots. They played a fantastic team game for months.

NYRKING30

Apr 29, 2011
NYC
I agree, Crosby and Malkin to me seemed like passengers at times during this run where the HBK line was the featured line and all the depth guys chipping in. I think the best thing Crosby and Malkin did was draw away the other teams top defenders and create room for the 3rd line which really was their 2nd line.

NYRKING30

Apr 29, 2011
NYC
One thing is absolutely clear to me as i hope it is clear to the rest of you. It is no longer about what we can do to get hank a cup in the next 3 years but its about setting up the foundation of this franchise for the next 15 years to come. Im very hopeful Gorton recognizes that.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Would the Panthers trade Bolland for Girardi? They just traded Gudbranson who is a RD. Girardi could play for them next year, expose him to the expansion and then if he doesn't play well or get selected they can buy him out.

As far as real dollars they would save $$ by buying out Girardi vs Bolland AND Bolland's cap hit is smaller for the buy-out than Girardi and for less years. Would the Rangers stomach that in order to trade Girardi?

https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout_calculator/dave-bolland

https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout_calculator/dan-girardi

That's not a bad idea. Bolland is owed 16.5 mil over the next 3 years. Girardi is owed 19 mil over the next 4 years. Same cap hits, but Florida saves real money and gets a more useful player. We get a slightly better contract. Bolland can be sent to the AHL (Girardi can't next year due to NMC).

Would a team like Las Vegas have more interest in Bolland than Girardi?

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA

Let's pump the breaks a little bit here

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
One thing is absolutely clear to me as i hope it is clear to the rest of you. It is no longer about what we can do to get hank a cup in the next 3 years but its about setting up the foundation of this franchise for the next 15 years to come. Im very hopeful Gorton recognizes that.

This dynamic is probably what I am most interested to see this offseason.

So far, management has said all of the right things. Will they actually follow through? Can they actually follow through?

Or will they reconsider keeping the group intact after seeing how dominant Pittsburgh was? At the very least that will be a nice PR spin line if they are unable to execute the deals they want.

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014

While I still truly believe that moves can be made to keep us competitive for the next 3 years, we really do need to put ourselves in a position to succeed in the long run.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Gorton can really replenish this system with correct moves.

Ideally, if he can...

1) Sign Jerrett Smith
2) Sign Jimmy Vesey
3) Trade Nash for a #1, a prospect and a young RHD or top 9 forward
4) Move Staal for a prospect and a 2nd
5) Move Brassard for a #1 and a quality prospect/young player.
6). Move Klein for two 2nds or a 2nd and a decent prospect.

That would add 11 young assets and immediately replenish the system.

Certainly a good start. However, the crazy bit is that might be the "easy" part.

NYRKING30

Apr 29, 2011
NYC

So far, management has said all of the right things. Will they actually follow through? Can they actually follow through?

Or will they reconsider keeping the group intact after seeing how dominant Pittsburgh was? At the very least that will be a nice PR spin line if they are unable to execute the deals they want.

I had a fear if the Sharks won the cup that it would have gave management an excuse just to do a quick retool 1 year overhaul or something along those lines. But yes absolutely, this will be the most interesting storyline of the offseason regarding our club. Im really hoping they push through. If they get the right value in any offer, they shouldn't be afraid to pull the trigger. Im pretty sure your one of the posters who experienced the dark ages from beginning to end like i have, and this is why I harp on making the necessary changes now so maybe we can hopefully avoid situations like this as much as possible in the future. No we are not in the 97-04 territory, but our top players we have are not game breakers and the bottom half of the lineup isn't as good as it was 2 years ago to negate that shortcoming.

NYRKING30

Apr 29, 2011
NYC
While I still truly believe that moves can be made to keep us competitive for the next 3 years, we really do need to put ourselves in a position to succeed in the long run.

I believe that as well, its not like we are 100,000 miles off. I'm in the latter group of stabilizing this franchise for the next 2 generations as the better and more vital component to the team.

NYRKING30

Apr 29, 2011
NYC
Let's pump the breaks a little bit here

I don't think its so far fetched, granted both those picks would be in the 20-30 range in any hypothetical trade. Brass has looked like the 7th overall pick that was drafted ever since he came over, performed every playoffs minus this year but who did well anyway. 60 pt center which by todays standards is a 1st line guy. Not so far fetched as it may seem.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Crosby was great. But the rangers made it to the SCF and ECF the two years prior without a Crosby in their lineup. The team was much more well rounded. This year they werent.

We lack depth and we lack the cap space and prospects to fix it.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ

Two different things, which I think some posters here need reminders about.

I believe Gorton & Co. will at least try to follow through. Whether they'll be able to do all of it is unknown, and sometimes might be out of their hands.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Two different things, which I think some posters here need reminders about.

I believe Gorton & Co. will at least try to follow through. Whether they'll be able to do all of it is unknown, and sometimes might be out of their hands.

Which is why, realistically, this won't happen in just one off-season.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I agree with this, however if they can get the 'easy' done with, they will see a much clearer picture of what 'hard' stuff needs to be done. Step 1 should be the above.

I agree. If they start with selling off some of the older guys and can land that many assets for the future, it's a great first step. However, the team is going to have to supplement the good core they retain with some impact players. That's a tall order if they refuse to part with any truly meaningful players. Hopefully this is more than just a plan to restock the pool and clear room for Stamkos. :help:

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I agree. If they start with selling off some of the older guys and can land that many assets for the future, it's a great first step. However, the team is going to have to supplement the good core they retain with some impact players. That's a tall order if they refuse to part with any truly meaningful players.

If they can get a couple of young players back in the deals, add Buch, McIlrath and Skjei as regulars and maybe sign a UFA or 2 (not high end) they may be okay.

I'm a big proponent of Helm. I think he adds an element the team lacked last year. Re-sign Stalberg. Sign Riley Nash. Depth guys.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I agree. If they start with selling off some of the older guys and can land that many assets for the future, it's a great first step. However, the team is going to have to supplement the good core they retain with some impact players. That's a tall order if they refuse to part with any truly meaningful players. Hopefully this is more than just a plan to restock the pool and clear room for Stamkos. :help:

While it would help to have a few top five picks, you can get impact players outside of the top 10. You just need the draft picks to have that opportunity. Getting a couple of #1's this year and not trading them away like candy would really help in that manner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad