Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
You guys need to come to grips--this has been Kreider for 5 years... unreal streaks intermittent with long disappearances, ending up ~25-25-50... he's just not that good. Not saying he isn't good, and that skilled power forward role is tough to fill. Good,consistently inconsistent, NOT your main go-to guy.

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
Fast in my opinion is a dark horse to be moved. He's had a lot of success in the playoffs and can really help a bottom six and play top six if injuries pile up. Him/Stepan/Kreider was a nice line in 2015.

Remember earlier I stated he's going to price himself out of NY and the hope is Virta or Paju take over his role.

I don't see Gorton calling other GMs saying "Would you want Jesper Fast?" it's more of a case of being open for business and other GMs asking Gorton about him.

His cap hit for what he brings is dynamite and it would be two playoff runs. He's easily worth what Grabner brought back a second + a decent to good prospect or another high pick (another second or a third).

I don't want to see him go but I don't think they're giving him a Roussell/Beagle/Komarov type deal which would exceed $3 million.
I don't think so. Grabner scored, that's why he brought back a lot, ONLY. Fast will get a mid-to-late 3rd straight-up. No use in trading him, he's important to us. But a dime-a-dozen.

Reactions: effen

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I don't think so. Grabner scored, that's why he brought back a lot, ONLY. Fast will get a mid-to-late 3rd straight-up. No use in trading him, he's important to us. But a dime-a-dozen.

For two playoff runs he'll absolutely bring back a second +. His cap hit is dynamite. He's also had two very good playoff runs with the Rangers (2014-15 and 2016-17). Teams love that kind of stuff.

If it's next trade deadline it will be substantially less.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
You guys need to come to grips--this has been Kreider for 5 years... unreal streaks intermittent with long disappearances, ending up ~25-25-50... he's just not that good. Not saying he isn't good, and that skilled power forward role is tough to fill. Good,consistently inconsistent, NOT your main go-to guy.

Ron Duguay, Alexei Kovalev, Chris Kreider.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
For two playoff runs he'll absolutely bring back a second +. His cap hit is dynamite. He's also had two very good playoff runs with the Rangers (2014-15 and 2016-17). Teams love that kind of stuff.

If it's next trade deadline it will be substantially less.
Wildly optimistic.

Fast is a forward who in 14ish minutes a game over his career averages 10 goals a year. Unless that's combined with 35+ assists, that's not getting a 2nd+.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Wildly optimistic.

Fast is a forward who in 14ish minutes a game over his career averages 10 goals a year. Unless that's combined with 35+ assists, that's not getting a 2nd+.

James Shepard as a UFA rental got a 4th. Fast for two playoff runs is worth more than Shepard was.

Fast as a UFA next year might not be worth as much. We shall see.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Wildly optimistic.

Fast would bring back a 2nd+ because he's not just about scoring and has a friendly contract.

That being said, I'm not sure why the Rangers would trade him. At some point they have to keep some pieces here.

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
I'd want a major package as well. Carolina is a team that might be able to put that together though. They have a strong group of prospects and Necas as a centerpiece is a very good start.

Again though, it'd have to be an over payment for me to consider moving him at this point. I think the Canes will ultimately end up with a guy like Toffoli though.
Carolina fans would go nuclear on us if we mentioned Necas for Kreider, but I agree that he's the type of return it'd take to move Kreids.

The weeks long disappearing act is who he is. Guys here pointed it out during his BC days, and I saw it often during his AHL stint back in the day. I thought he was fantastic for a 25 game stretch last year, and a good part of this year.

IMO, he's not a keeper, but I wouldn't trade him in a pure futures deal... which is what he would go for if you moved him next season. I think he would be best served being moved in a hockey trade, but for a maybe a player whose a bit younger, but one that is consistent. Not to suggest that Kreider will decline. He's too gifted of an athlete where I fail to see the skating legs just go away. Not to suggest that Vegas or SJ would do make the deal, but if the return was an Alex Tuch or Timo Meier for Kreider, then would you not make that trade?

But realistically, he's on par with Tomas Hertl. He's SJ's Kreider. I think in a pure 1:1.... Ondrej Palat is a better player. Those two aren't the players that guys on here would move Kreider for. There's always been an attachment to this player by guys on here that's lingered past age 24 for Chris... which is really saying something.... cause if you go back through the years, there has never been an affinity for a draft pick that was homegrown that lingered this long. Usually people jump ship a few months before the bridge deal. But with Chris... that never happened.

If folks were to remove that attachment, and see thing objectively, he's a very nice piece whose shown glimpses that might get someone thinking he can do more. But those days are past by, and the team trading for him would need to bank on Chris showing full effort during the playoffs for a long run.

This is just my opinion, but realistically, you can get a Brayden Schenn for him if you wanted a guy that is going to produce more offense, and be able to fill a top 6 role. Whose not a bad player at all.... but one that doesn't fit what the Rangers are looking for.

I'm not going to get into the whole disappearing act thing with Kreids - I think it's an issue that was real earlier in his career which gets blown out of proportion today. NHL players are streaky, idk why we expect any different from the majority of our guys.

I'd prefer Meier over Tuch, but why does San Jose do that? Meier is their best chance at still having a useful piece five years down the road once the wheels finally fall off of Couture, Pavelski, and Jumbo.
How do you guys feel about moving Names and Fast? Perhaps Vesey as well?

Depends on the return. Fast and Names strike me as two guys that are worth way more to the organization than in a trade, especially Jesper Fast. I'd be fine moving Vesey, but what is he realistically worth?

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I keep waffling on Kreider. He is a possession nightmare for other teams and drives offense but would I sign him for 7 more years starting at 29 years old? Would he take 5 years? This isn't a consistent 60 point per year player. He's never reached that mark in his career. He's never reached 30 goals. It all depends on what other teams would give up.

I guess if I HAD to make a decision right now, I'd lean towards moving him. I'm not sure the team could truly justify trading McDonagh who re-signed in TB for $6.75m who was a legitimate top-pairing, #1 d-man on most teams, and then turn around and re-sign Kreider who is not elite, nor a #1 forward on any team for a deal similar in cap hit (I'm assuming he will get an Evander Kane-like contract).

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
No. I like @Edge. Winnipeg isn’t the remote outpost anymore. I don’t think the NHL has any remote outposts. I would ship some of those other people to the KHL. I am sure the feeling is mutual.
I don't know about Winnipeg...but my wife went to Edmonton for some work training stuff a year ago...it was so cold there they told her she shouldn't bring her cell phone outside or the battery would freeze and it may not work again or something along those lines.

Eff that.

And Im a cold weather person living in hotlanta (eff that even more)

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Valeri Nichuskin is having a rough go of it in Dallas, again. 5 points in 24 games. Signed for this year and next for $2.95m per season. Martin Hanzal is back playing after spinal fusion surgery. Making $4.75m this year and next.

Would anyone consider:

Beleskey + Smith for Hanzal + Nichuskin?

Beleskey = $1.9m cap hit for this year and next
Smith = $4.35m for this year, and (2) more years
Total cap hits :
Year 1 = $6.25m
Year 2 = $6.25m
Years 3 = $4.35m

Nichuskin = $2.95m this year and next
Hanzal = $4,75m this year and next
Total cap hits:
Year 1 = $7.7m
Year 2 = $7.7m
Year 3 = $0

The Rangers pay a little bit more this year and next but remove the liability of Smith in his 3rd year. Perhaps Nichuskin can turn it around, if not, it's a short commitment. Hanzal may be a trade chip come next years deadline.

Reactions: bernmeister

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Don’t know how to feel about some of that. I’m glad we don’t seem inclined to overpay Hayes. Definitely don’t think re-signing Zucc should even be a consideration. Being “all in” on Panarin, eh. Panarin is great but I’ve got FA fatique. I guess that’s a bad reason to be “meh” on it, but whatever.

Basically I’m questioning our direction right now. Like are we just done rebuilding? I feel like we need two more drafts like 2018 before we start loading up in free agency.

Why would anyone have free agent fatigue? Just look at all of the great free agent signings by the Rangers.

Gaborik was the only free agent who sort of actually lived up to his contract. 42 goals in his first season. 41 goals in his third season. He was gone by the fourth season. Gaborik was not the perfect player.

5 years/$7.5M AAV.

The Rangers found a taker for Gomez after his second year. They got very lucky there.

The rest of them are one stink bomb after another.

The compliance buyouts saved them from the Holik, Redden and Richards contracts.

Drury was bought out before his final season of his five year contract. He didn’t do much for them.

Shattenkirk has been a disaster. The only saving grace is the term. Only two more years to go.

There won’t be any compliance buyouts in the next CBA. The NHL isn’t looking for the players to take less than 50%.

The Rangers are approaching one championship in 80 years. That does not happen by accident. A lot of incompetence is required.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Valeri Nichuskin is having a rough go of it in Dallas, again. 5 points in 24 games. Signed for this year and next for $2.95m per season. Martin Hanzal is back playing after spinal fusion surgery. Making $4.75m this year and next.

Would anyone consider:

Beleskey + Smith for Hanzal + Nichuskin?

Beleskey = $1.9m cap hit for this year and next
Smith = $4.35m for this year, and (2) more years
Total cap hits :
Year 1 = $6.25m
Year 2 = $6.25m
Years 3 = $4.35m

Nichuskin = $2.95m this year and next
Hanzal = $4,75m this year and next
Total cap hits:
Year 1 = $7.7m
Year 2 = $7.7m
Year 3 = $0

The Rangers pay a little bit more this year and next but remove the liability of Smith in his 3rd year. Perhaps Nichuskin can turn it around, if not, it's a short commitment. Hanzal may be a trade chip come next years deadline.

Will never happen while ruff is here

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Those words from Friedman are very interesting, he's the first reliable source who says a Zucc extension is possible.

Thinking about it...Zucc doesn't care about the money, he could even re-sign without a raise. And that would actually be a good deal for the Rangers, that's a very cheap solid veteran player right there.

And when it comes to this disrespect thing, they may have talked and put it behind them.

Hayes DOES think about money, so I believe he goes to try his luck elsewhere.

Reactions: GodlyRangers

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
Our biggest organizational holes are at wing imo. Outside of Kravtsov what do we have to add to this team? Atleast on D theres Hajek, Miller, Lundqvist, Gilmour,Lindgren and maybe Day if he pieces it together.
A few things factor into my wording. We have a terrible NHL d corps right now. Sjkei is a 2nd pair guy. Unknown where Pionk and ADA ultimately shake out but 1st pair is a pipe dream. That's it for the future of our defense in the category of proven. Miller is promising but tabbing him for the 1st is very optimistic. I would say that about almost any D+1 prospect that hasn't taken a pro shift. Every other prospect is completely unproven. The volume suggests we will have a few hits but nothing to bank on.

I think Chytil is a winger long term. So that's 2 first liners I would bank on, which is 2 more than I would on D. Wings are way cheaper in trades and UFA. Easier to project at the draft. D takes longer to develop, so we need to get on that sooner in the rebuild.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad