Speculation: Roster Building Thread - Part XIII (Nanaki edition)

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
A little bit confused how did the Rangers (allegedly) manage to sign Laf to a long term deal for less money than some comparable players (Guenther/Raymond/Seider etc.) just got while being in a high tax state?

Reactions: Guyute

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
A little bit confused how did the Rangers (allegedly) manage to sign Laf to a long term deal for less money than some comparable players (Guenther/Raymond/Seider etc.) just got while being in a high tax state?
Laf actually likes being in NYC?

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Lafreniere and Fox contracts are why the Rangers can go a little over their limit with Igor's next deal. Great work by Drury

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Does he? You'd think if he liked being here he'd commit to the maximum term of 8 years instead of only taking 7 so he could get to FA a year earlier.
I think it's quite shocking he's willing to do 7 years considering that bridge he already committed to. He would be 30 when reaching UFA.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I think it's quite shocking he's willing to do 7 years considering that bridge he already committed to. He would be 30 when reaching UFA.

If Lafreniere stays on the trajectory he's on, he'll never play for another team and he can write his own contract with the Rangers at age 30.

Reactions: mas0764 and Kords

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
If Lafreniere stays on the trajectory he's on, he'll never play for another team and he can write his own contract with the Rangers at age 30.
i think we need to slow this roll.

his projected deal is fair for his production and potential production.

we have not seen Lafreniere succeed as the best player on his line.

Reactions: Shadowtron

Circus86

Sep 12, 2020
1000013112.gif

Reactions: Cmox and noncents

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
i think we need to slow this roll.

his projected deal is fair for his production and potential production.

we have not seen Lafreniere succeed as the best player on his line.

When the top draft pick in franchise history has been playing like it, believe it.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
When the top draft pick in franchise history has been playing like it, believe it.
im not saying we shouldn't sign him to this deal. i was advocating for signing him to this deal last year.

i'm saying our expectations as fans for him to be the best player or even best forward in the team in the next 2 years, or potentially beyond then, should be tempered.

he's not sidney crosby and he doesn't have to be.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Does he? You'd think if he liked being here he'd commit to the maximum term of 8 years instead of only taking 7 so he could get to FA a year earlier.
Signing a deal when you're going to be 31 to start the season might net you a longer term than signing when turning 32 for the season. With the cap increasing, he could potentially earn more than if he took the 8th year now. Although that would also mean he's still playing at a high level at 31 to get that extra money.

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
And he’s certainly playing better this year than last. I see him having a serviceable year at a bad cap hit and he’s traded in the off season.
Please don’t tar and feather me, but… If he doesn’t decline much further I can even imagine the team bringing him back at an AAV that’s appropriate for an older 3rd pair D when He hits UFA. Front office likes him, he loves the team and the city, I can imagine him signing here on the cheap. I’m not saying this would be a good thing, just that I could see it happen.

Nope he's gotta go.

The money is needed.

Somehow I’m feeling angrier towards Igor reading that
deservedly so

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
im not saying we shouldn't sign him to this deal. i was advocating for signing him to this deal last year.

i'm saying our expectations as fans for him to be the best player or even best forward in the team in the next 2 years, or potentially beyond then, should be tempered.

he's not sidney crosby and he doesn't have to be.
His numbers as of last year and this year have him as potentially the best ranger forward we’ve ever had.

If you just look at his points, then it’s underwhelming but then when you factor in his production at 5v5 was on par last year with
Malkin, Tuch, reinhart
All of whom were putting up 80+ points I think he’s gonna be exactly what we want, expect.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Has anyone mentioned how Panarin and Jack Eichel's contracts end at the same time? On a related note, how fast would Mika waive his NMC if Kreider was gone?

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Separating Laf and Panarin is the only thing I don’t wanna see them try. Try swapping Fil and Mika first IMO. Let Mika try and take a Jordan Staal esque 3rd line role with Cuylle and KK.

Right now our 3rd line is murdering who they're playing against and we have depth if we move Mika there we'll be back to the team we were last year when he have Bonino in there. I legit think if you move him down and take away his PP time Mika is a 40 point player at best.

I don't know if I'm being naive but maybe Laf's personality is one of those types of people that doesn't need to be paid the highest amount possible as long as he makes good money regardless.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad