Speculation: Roster Building Thread - Part XIII (Nanaki edition)

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
I disagree for several reasons.

1) The Cuylle-Chytil-Kakko line is fine. They will score in the playoffs, the same way the Laf-Chytil-Kakko line did 2 years ago. Maybe better. If you don't want Cuylle or Kakko scoring in the playoffs, then sure, moving them to the 4th line would do that.

2) There's a good chance Perreault will join the team at some point, so he can be that guy if we need him. If not, we have Othmann and Berard in case there are injuries.

3) Who are you getting to play RW and how much will that player cost? In the past 2 years, look at the players we have brought in at the deadline to play RW. Have any of them really made a difference? Smith was our move to fix the RW spot and is fitting in. Laf is Laf, and the third line is producing.

4) We have limited assets. I'm not interested in wasting a 1st round pick on a rental just so that player can cannibalize another player's production. We're the highest scoring team in the league. If our offense falls off a cliff, then we can address it.
Agreed if anything I'd go in for a top 4 D. Can't trust Trouba and Lindgren to stay healthy or play well. Doesn't seem like Lav is ready to lean on Jones yet. Will Mancini last a full year? etc.

Raspewtin

Stay at home defenseman hater
May 30, 2013
Agreed if anything I'd go in for a top 4 D. Can't trust Trouba and Lindgren to stay healthy or play well. Doesn't seem like Lav is ready to lean on Jones yet. Will Mancini last a full year? etc.
Trouba has been fine this year. Way better than last year. I think this applies way more to Lindgren who's been legit bad for 2.5 years now.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
Forgot about how close Perrault is. Is he on the Chris Kreider playoff debut trajectory? Seems that way. I think he immediately jumps Othmann and Berard on the pecking order when he signs.
I think he will be able to, development wise, but BC is likely to go very deep in the tourney again. May not be available till like the Conference finals. Is that the point you want to break a rookie in? Guess it depends on Gabe's play this year...

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I think he will be able to, development wise, but BC is likely to go very deep in the tourney again. May not be available till like the Conference finals. Is that the point you want to break a rookie in? Guess it depends on Gabe's play this year...

Not sure the timing works with the schedule but Kreider won the natty with BC in 2012 and played his first game in Game5-6 against Ottawa

Reactions: bhamill

zlev

Dec 21, 2015
Give me any notable on ice difference between him and Goodrow? Kudos to Drury for being able to swap Goodrow for Smith in terms of salaries and add Carrick on the cheap.

Carrick has been way better than Goodrow so far

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
Trouba has been fine this year. Way better than last year. I think this applies way more to Lindgren who's been legit bad for 2.5 years now.
He still has to stay healthy lol

If Trouba is 3rd pair in the playoffs and we added a top 4 LHD why would that be a bad thing?

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
He still has to stay healthy lol

If Trouba is 3rd pair in the playoffs and we added a top 4 LHD why would that be a bad thing?
Trouba is currently on the 2nd pair. You’re saying move him down, and we’re saying if he manages to keep this up that’s a legit 3-4 pair.

Moving him down might be good/might be bad. Chemistry and coordination really matter in hockey. Knowing where your partner is and will be impacts defense a lot.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Mancini is payed $105,000 more than Chad.
Every dollar is gonna count.

Pinching pennies for the trade deadline is poverty franchise stuff. The only reason the Rangers should make a major addition at the trade deadline is if someone is hurt. If you want to upgrade left defense, Ryan Lindgren's 4.5 million dollar cap hit is all the cap space they'd need.

No parachute this time.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Pinching pennies for the trade deadline is poverty franchise stuff.
Cap doesn't differentiate between poor and rich franchises. We are all equally pinched.

It sucks for the rookies involved, but that's the way it is. Mancini is not the first and won't be the last. Kakko and Chytil (and others) also lost significant money by being transfered to Wolf Pack as paper transactions to accrue more capspace.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Pinching pennies for the trade deadline is poverty franchise stuff. The only reason the Rangers should make a major addition at the trade deadline is if someone is hurt. If you want to upgrade left defense, Ryan Lindgren's 4.5 million dollar cap hit is all the cap space they'd need.

No parachute this time.
No?
We do it. We sent Schneider down multiple times (paper transactions) to accrue cap space.

You create space because the cap doesn’t care if you’re nyr/tor/ or Arizona.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Goodrow was horrendous last regular season.

Carrick has been way better than Goodrow so far

Don't want to judge Goodrow too harshly. On the whole his stay in NY was positive (including unexpected offensive contribution in the last playoff run). And everyone should look / looks good so far on a team that's on a historical start to the season (Carrick has been just as advertised so far)

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Surprising, but not too surprising. I guess Drury believes he'll make it through waivers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad