Speculation: Roster Building Thread - Part XIII (Nanaki edition)

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Actually Rempe hasn’t put us short handed much. Just a few times last year and I don’t think once in pre season or his one regular season game so far.
People love him for more than his fights.

He’s only 22 though and raw as hell. I’m not opposed to Hartford for him. I think moving him up and down this year would be the tact.
And I’m fine with that. But edstrom is an nhl player. He needs to stay up.
He adds positive value on the 4th line, and if he develops some offense, he could move up.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Actually Rempe hasn’t put us short handed much. Just a few times last year and I don’t think once in pre season or his one regular season game so far.
People love him for more than his fights.

He’s only 22 though and raw as hell. I’m not opposed to Hartford for him. I think moving him up and down this year would be the tact.

He took 8 minor penalties between the regular season/playoffs last year in a total of 162 minutes. That's one minor per 20.3 minutes. The highest rate of anyone in the regular season who played at least 500 minutes was Pospisil at one minor per 25 minutes. The next most was Marchment at one per 29 minutes. Only one of the 8 was matching minors and the one happened to also include the match penalty for the hit on Siegenthaler.

So he's literally put us shorthanded at the worst rate of any player in the league (or I guess 2nd if I lower the filter to 150 mins which adds in MacDermid at 15.5 mins per minor) but you're saying he hasn't put us shorthanded much? And that doesn't even include the majors/match penalties.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
He took 8 minor penalties between the regular season/playoffs last year in a total of 162 minutes. That's one minor per 20.3 minutes. The highest rate of anyone in the regular season who played at least 500 minutes was Pospisil at one minor per 25 minutes. The next most was Marchment at one per 29 minutes. Only one of the 8 was matching minors and the one happened to also include the match penalty for the hit on Siegenthaler.

So he's literally put us shorthanded at the worst rate of any player in the league (or I guess 2nd if I lower the filter to 150 mins which adds in MacDermid at 15.5 mins per minor) but you're saying he hasn't put us shorthanded much? And that doesn't even include the majors/match penalties.

Small sample size

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
…offense they are sacrificing

Team is averaging 5 goals a game over the first three.
Yeah - over the first three. Did you watch the playoffs last season? If you think this is sustainable you are welcome to that opinion.

Yeah. You are sacrificing offense to play Rempe. You aren’t getting a ton of of sense from Cuylle and Kakko either, let alone the rest of the fourth line. That will matter, even if it hasn’t shown up over a whole three games yet

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Yeah - over the first three. Did you watch the playoffs last season? If you think this is sustainable you are welcome to that opinion.

Yeah. You are sacrificing offense to play Rempe. You aren’t getting a ton of of sense from Cuylle and Kakko either, let alone the rest of the fourth line. That will matter, even if it hasn’t shown up over a whole three games yet
What point are you trying to make about the 3rd line here? The one that’s generating 5v5 offense and pressure and doing it in a sustainable way?

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Small sample size

Not really an excuse for when a player is literally dead last out of about 750 players. It's enough to say he is going to be penalized at a way above average rate.

It's also irrelevant. given the comment I responded to said "hasn't put us shorthanded much." That's a blatantly incorrect statement. He put took minors at the highest rate of anyone in the league at 500+ mins (or 2nd highest 150+ mins). That's descriptive looking back at what happened.

Last edited:

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
We weren’t bullied the previous two years either.

Right now there are enough guys he’s not better than. And right now he’s not much more than a face puncher. Let him play half a season in Hartford and see what he does.
For a team that couldn't do much to shake up the roster this offseason, I think Rempe kinda can. He's a wrecking ball out there, the opposition (especially the D) will always be looking over their shoulders when he's out on the ice. Granted, he needs to learn how to be more under control on the forecheck but he could absolutely be an asset. It's not like he's blocking Othmann or Berard, he's block Brodz and Vesey. Two ok players but hardly difference makers in a 7 game series.

Reactions: bhamill

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
This is such B.S , Edstrom is not an NHL player. He couldn't even produce well in the AHL. I don't care what he did in the training camp. Those games were meaningless.

Both of them aren't that talented BUT at least Rempe is a fighter who can fire up the crowd and teammates. Poll the fanbase and the teammates on who should play, Rempe wins.
Yes, poll the fanbase and decide based on fan favorites who should play in our lineup. Is Rempe more of a game changer because he creates bigger moments to swing momentum? Yes, absolutely. And currently he can get that momentum for both teams. Is Rempe a better hockey player than Edstrom? No, and it's not really close. Nobody is saying Edstrom is great but he looks better than what we currently have and he definitely looks better than last season.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
And I’m fine with that. But edstrom is an nhl player. He needs to stay up.
He adds positive value on the 4th line, and if he develops some offense, he could move up.
Edstrom is absolutely an NHL player. You'll get no argument from me.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Yes, poll the fanbase and decide based on fan favorites who should play in our lineup. Is Rempe more of a game changer because he creates bigger moments to swing momentum? Yes, absolutely. And currently he can get that momentum for both teams. Is Rempe a better hockey player than Edstrom? No, and it's not really close. Nobody is saying Edstrom is great but he looks better than what we currently have and he definitely looks better than last season.
Edstrom has looked great on the 4th line. Which essentially means, solid defensive hockey, good forechecker, and potentially pinning the other team in the zone.
That’s it.
That’s all we ask from our 4th line. To not keep us pinned in our zone.
Rempe does 1 of those things positively. Hes a good forechecker, but he’s a risk for penalties in that situation. He doesn’t do well defensively yet. And so when the puck is in our end, they’re essentially 5v4.

Rempe could grow as a player. But even vesey is a major improvement over Rempe.

Reactions: TominNC

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012

Yeah, I didn't say he didn't take penalties, major, minor or misconducts, I said he didn't put us SHORTHANDED very often, they are DIFFERENT things. When an opposing player player goes off with you, you are not shorthanded... Your number of penalty minutes is not necessarily the amount of time you put a team down a man. Misconducts (10 nor games) never put you a man down on the ice.
It also doesn't matter how many penalties (or mins) per 60, I am talking about how many TIMES he put the team shorthanded. Also, he took 8 minors in 18 games. That is not exactly putting us shorthanded constantly even if no one ever went off with him...
Now that's how it SEEMED to me, I haven't checked last years numbers. if you have numbers that say otherwise, then I was mistaken. This year Rempe has played two games, unless I'm mistaken, one of them pre season, and has taken ZERO penalties, never mind putting the team shorthanded. Yup small sample size. So was last season. But hopefully he's learning the line. That's how it looks so far.

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
For a team that couldn't do much to shake up the roster this offseason, I think Rempe kinda can. He's a wrecking ball out there, the opposition (especially the D) will always be looking over their shoulders when he's out on the ice. Granted, he needs to learn how to be more under control on the forecheck but he could absolutely be an asset. It's not like he's blocking Othmann or Berard, he's block Brodz and Vesey. Two ok players but hardly difference makers in a 7 game series.
Rempe is more liability than asset. And more so than the others. So play him in Hartford until he shows he can help more than hurt. Until the coaches feel comfortable playing him later in games, until he can play a full game without drawing penalties or costing us goals.

with Bern right next to him....:sarcasm:
Trolls

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
Rempe is more liability than asset. And more so than the others. So play him in Hartford until he shows he can help more than hurt. Until the coaches feel comfortable playing him later in games, until he can play a full game without drawing penalties or costing us goals.
Obviously opinions differ. The coaches seem comfortable putting him in the lineup. No one has a gun to Laviolette's head to dress Rempe...
Is the coach always right about players' ability to help win games? Hell no. Hahaha. But a lot more often than fans on message boards are...

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Obviously opinions differ. The coaches seem comfortable putting him in the lineup. No one has a gun to Laviolette's head to dress Rempe...
Is the coach always right about players' ability to help win games? Hell no. Hahaha. But a lot more often than fans on message boards are...
And the same coach staples his ass to the bench in the third.
seems like he’s aware of his liabilities

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
It will be crazy if guys like Hellebuyck, Swayman, Oettinger, Sorokin are all making something in the 8s (not to mention Saros 7s) and Shesty is going to get 12...

Yes, Shesterkin is better than those guys IMO. Almost 4m better?

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Yeah, I didn't say he didn't take penalties, major, minor or misconducts, I said he didn't put us SHORTHANDED very often, they are DIFFERENT things. When an opposing player player goes off with you, you are not shorthanded... Your number of penalty minutes is not necessarily the amount of time you put a team down a man. Misconducts (10 nor games) never put you a man down on the ice.
It also doesn't matter how many penalties (or mins) per 60, I am talking about how many TIMES he put the team shorthanded. Also, he took 8 minors in 18 games. That is not exactly putting us shorthanded constantly even if no one ever went off with him...
Now that's how it SEEMED to me, I haven't checked last years numbers. if you have numbers that say otherwise, then I was mistaken. This year Rempe has played two games, unless I'm mistaken, one of them pre season, and has taken ZERO penalties, never mind putting the team shorthanded. Yup small sample size. So was last season. But hopefully he's learning the line. That's how it looks so far.

And I said you are wrong and he did put us shorthanded that often considering the sentence "Only one of the 8 was matching minors and the one happened to also include the match penalty for the hit on Siegenthaler."

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA

meh…a healthy Chytil Centering a line of Cuylle and Kakslow will make up the difference.
I’m on team Brooks on this one. The regular season should fine tune the team to what they will have/need going into the playoffs.
Take the hit and the growing pains and keep a 4th line of Edstrom, Carrick and Rempe for 30-35 games.
If it doesn’t work it doesn’t work. Laviolette already knows what he has with Brodzinski and Ve$ey.

Reactions: bhamill

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
It will be crazy if guys like Hellebuyck, Swayman, Oettinger, Sorokin are all making something in the 8s (not to mention Saros 7s) and Shesty is going to get 12...

Yes, Shesterkin is better than those guys IMO. Almost 4m better?

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
What point are you trying to make about the 3rd line here? The one that’s generating 5v5 offense and pressure and doing it in a sustainable way?
That we need to generate more 5v5 offense as a whole. Rempe is not helping that. You probably help that by putting a line 3 guy on line 4 but we need more scoring depth to do that. Do you think scoring five goals a game is sustainable?

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
And I said you are wrong and he did put us shorthanded that often considering the sentence "Only one of the 8 was matching minors and the one happened to also include the match penalty for the hit on Siegenthaler."
If you count all 8 minors as ALONE (they weren't) and the match, that's 9 times shorthanded in 18 games, 19 if you want to count this season's game played, which I do... I said "Actually Rempe hasn’t put us short handed much." and less than once every two games isn't much for a player who is in the lineup specifically to be a physical presence. And its not EVEN as often as that as at least a few of his minors were matched... So now I am saying YOU are wrong. Hahahahaha.

Last edited:
Reactions: EdJovanovski

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
If you count all 8 minors as ALONE (they weren't) and the match, that's 9 times shorthanded in 18 games, 19 if you want to count this season's game played, which I do... I said "Actually Rempe hasn’t put us short handed much." and less than once every two games isn't much for a player who is in the lineup specifically to be a physical presence. And its not EVEN as often as that as at least a few of his minors were matched... So now I am saying YOU are wrong. Hahahahaha.
I remember I was keeping track of it for a while and they hadn’t given up a single goal when killing a Rempe penalty, including the 5 min majors. I think they may have given up one in the playoffs, it’s zero or one.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
I remember I was keeping track of it for a while and they hadn’t given up a single goal when killing a Rempe penalty, including the 5 min majors. I think they may have given up one in the playoffs, it’s zero or one.
In all fairness that wasn't the metric we were arguing, but that's a point well taken. He hasn't really cost the team in that way.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I actually think that is quite a lot, especially when you consider the fact that he's only on the ice for roughly 6 minutes per game.

He was 2nd worst in the league in terms of net penalties per 60 for players with at least 10 games played. In the playoffs, he was the worst for players with at least 5 games played.

Maybe there is a bias against him, maybe there isn't. It's not really relevant when he's sitting in the box, and we are killing off a penalty. He didn't take a penalty in the one game he has played this year, but he only played 3:40. We'll see if he can stay out of the box more this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad