Speculation: Roster Building Thread - Part XIII (Nanaki edition)

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
No no youre missing it, its "an additional shorthanded situation"
Which is an extra goal every 4 penalties.

So over the course of last season that would've changed us from a +53 to a +30ish (give or take)

+53 was top 10 in the league.
+30 would be wildcard playoff team.
No. First of all a goal every four penalties is a 75% PK rate. Weren’t we over 80%? That would be less than a goal every FIVE times shorthanded, no? Let’s round it up to one very five.
If Rempe played every game, he won’t, and took a non matching penalty every three games, he seems to be learning the line so hopefully that is going down, that’s 27.3 penalties. Let’s round it UP to 28 to err on the high side. 28/5=5.6. Rounding UP again that’s 6 goals a year with Rempe playing EVERY game. So I’m rounding up at every chance, and assuming he has made no progress. And this is assuming penalties where an opposing player also went off have been filtered out, which hasn’t been demonstrated. So we go from +53 to +47… in pretty much worse case scenario. If he plays half the games, still assuming worst case, we go from +53 to +50…
Haven’t had my coffee yet so please check my numbers. If I made a mistake I’ll easily admit to it.

I'm sorry but I have not a clue what you're talking about anymore. Was this even this week? My brain is fried.
He was quoting me, buddy. I recognize my nonsense. Haha.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
If Igor gets $12 Mil from the NY Rangers, who then is the sacrificial mule/s? After the Trouba drama i would assume he is staying put till the end of his deal.

$11,100,000 Coming off the books with 5 players.
Smith's $3,750,000 expires.
Vesey's $800,000 expires
Lindgren's $4,500,000 expires
Quick's $1,275,000 expires
Ruhwedl's $775,000 expires

Some real Key RFA's due significant raises.

RFA's
Lafreniere (8mil?)
Miller
Kakko
Cuylle

Jones
Edstrom
Rempe

Miz

Jun 2, 2011
If Igor gets $12 Mil from the NY Rangers, who then is the sacrificial mule/s? After the Trouba drama i would assume he is staying put till the end of his deal.

Vesey's $800,000 expires

RFA's
Lafreniere (8mil?)
Miller
Kakko
Cuylle

Jones
Edstrom
Rempe
Cap is also estimated to go up 4.5m. But i still see the issue

noncents

Feb 25, 2022

Vesey's $800,000 expires

RFA's
Lafreniere (8mil?)
Miller
Kakko
Cuylle

Jones
Edstrom
Rempe
incorrect re: Trouba. he's gone after this year. friend of a friend played golf with him this summer and he essentially confirmed.

Reactions: IDvsEGO

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
If Igor gets his money and I think he will, the team is going to have to take a step back most likely until his cap hit is no longer an absurd percentage of the cap. Hopefully it goes up like Elliotte Friedman was suggesting. In any case it’s absurd that Igor thinks he is the most valuable player on the team. I say let this play out and see if another team would be willing to go where he wants.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

Vesey's $800,000 expires

RFA's
Lafreniere (8mil?)
Miller
Kakko
Cuylle

Jones
Edstrom
Rempe
His wife graduates this year, Trouba will be moved in the offseason.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

Vesey's $800,000 expires

RFA's
Lafreniere (8mil?)
Miller
Kakko
Cuylle

Jones
Edstrom
Rempe
Trouba will be gone after this season - I think it's pretty clear based on his statements. But if we're talking about sacrificial lamb (is it a mule now for kids lol?) then my bet would be Kakko.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016

Vesey's $800,000 expires

RFA's
Lafreniere (8mil?)
Miller
Kakko
Cuylle

Jones
Edstrom
Rempe
Earmark Laf for 8.5
Cuylle id say gets 2.1-2.5
Kakko is either gone or 4m-6m no in between
Jones is probably 3x3
Edstrom gets maybe 1.5
Rempe 1.2

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Trouba will be gone after this season - I think it's pretty clear based on his statements. But if we're talking about sacrificial lamb (is it a mule now for kids lol?) then my bet would be Kakko.
Kakko coming off the books is under 3 million. In his best possible production season (note I’m high on him) I still don’t see him getting more 5m.
That’s not a sacrifice, that’s just dumb. A sacrifice is moving ck, moving Trocheck or Mika, or Panarin.

Reactions: bernmeister

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Honestly, and this won't be popular, but it's possible Drury and his team could choose to move on From Chytil in the off-season if he has a good year. There may still be concerns over his health and they may be able to sign a veteran center on a short term deal for cheaper than $4.375m per season. The ever discussed Yanni Gourde is a UFA this upcoming off-season.

Trade Chytil for a young, cost controlled LD and sign Gourde?

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Kakko coming off the books is under 3 million. In his best possible production season (note I’m high on him) I still don’t see him getting more 5m.
That’s not a sacrifice, that’s just dumb. A sacrifice is moving ck, moving Trocheck or Mika, or Panarin.
Sorry, I don't see losing any of these if the alternative is Kakko, dumb (in your view) or not.

Honestly, and this won't be popular, but it's possible Drury and his team could choose to move on From Chytil in the off-season if he has a good year. There may still be concerns over his health and they may be able to sign a veteran center on a short term deal for cheaper than $4.375m per season. The ever discussed Yanni Gourde is a UFA this upcoming off-season.

Gourde will sign for under $4 or about?

Greg02

Jun 28, 2009

This is a sane thought.

I hate it.

Reactions: noncents

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Sorry, I don't see losing any of these if the alternative is Kakko, dumb (in your view) or not.

Gourde will sign for under $4 or about?

I’m not saying the alternative is losing Kakko. I’m saying Kakko doesn’t really change the salary math that much.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island

I cannot imagine any scenario this happens regardless of his performance because his trade value is going to be lower than it should be due to perceived injury risk.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I’m not saying the alternative is losing Kakko. I’m saying Kakko doesn’t really change the salary math that much.
Of course he does. His internal replacements if needed would come in at about $1m while in even conservative estimates he’s going to be close to $4. Let’s say the difference is about $2.5m. Between cap increase and “losing” Trouba, Lindgren, Smith and this $2.5m for Kakko IMO this is all cap space that would be needed to address Shesterkin, Lafreniere and Miller without losing much else.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I cannot imagine any scenario this happens regardless of his performance because his trade value is going to be lower than it should be due to perceived injury risk.
If he’ll get to have a healthy year these concerns could be largely reduced. But in this case the Rangers would likely put a big trade premium on moving a young center with top-6 upside on $4.5m deal

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
If he’ll get to have a healthy year these concerns could be largely reduced. But in this case the Rangers would likely put a big trade premium on moving a young center with top-6 upside on $4.5m deal
This is where the board in general drives me crazy.
If chytil is healthy, let’s move him as a young center who’s out performing his contract, and by extension get “worse” at a position of weakness, and be forced to pay a ufa for a vet who likely performs worse for equal money.
This is robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Reactions: noncents

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
If chytil is healthy, let’s move him as a young center who’s out performing his contract, and by extension get “worse” at a position of weakness, and be forced to pay a ufa for a vet who likely performs worse for equal money.

If you need to trade/let go all these useful pieces on decent deals so you have the ability to wildly overpay a goalie the obvious solution is not to wildly overpay the goalie.

Reactions: DanielBrassard

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
If you need to trade/let go all these useful pieces on decent deals so you have the ability to wildly overpay a goalie the obvious solution is not to wildly overpay the goalie.
like it’s not even that tough. The market was fairly set. Now it’s locked. Igor isn’t resetting it. His deal would be an outlier. Every other legit 1a goalie is now locked up. And none of them have come close to 10m. So 11 is an extreme outlier. 12 would just be a bad contract.

The rangers need to pull the 11m offer and go down to 9.5, and tell him it’s take it or leave it. He walks he walks.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I get it but specific to Chytil the Rangers might think that future salary and health concerns (even if somewhat more muted / remote) could outweigh the benefit. It can go both ways and potential trade return and UFA market would also be significant considerations. Too many unknowns and too much guessing at this point

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
like it’s not even that tough. The market was fairly set. Now it’s locked. Igor isn’t resetting it. His deal would be an outlier. Every other legit 1a goalie is now locked up. And none of them have come close to 10m. So 11 is an extreme outlier. 12 would just be a bad contract.

The rangers need to pull the 11m offer and go down to 9.5, and tell him it’s take it or leave it. He walks he walks.

The RFA/UFA thing is an excuse too. Is it true? Yes. Is it worth 3-4M per year? Absolutely not. If it was that huge of a difference all of the other goalies who just signed would have been completely negligent in not taking a 1-2 year deal to get themselves in that situation too. Should he be compared to Price/Bob? Those weren't good contracts so why match them?

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

I mean there are still Bobrovsky and Vasilevskiy contracts to consider both of whom are closer to Shesterkin level than the rest. The point is that $11m is really in line for the best goalie for the next 8 years and should be reconsidered by the Russian. If he needs to save face make it $11.25 or something ala Swayman negotiations (but maybe offset it with more team friendly structure).

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Jones won't get anywhere near that $3
Jones = less
KK 3.75-4.25 dep on term

Lindgren + Trou covers Shesty if we have to extend b'c no trade
4-ish+ cap increase holds the fort elsewhere, mostly

sell high on bread if we get stud young Ds in return

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad