Roster Building Thread - Part XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
If the refs are going to call things like that on him then the easy solution is to not play him. Calling out the refs won't do anything. If anything, it'll make them more likely to make calls since they'll be annoyed at you. If you know the outcome of a questionable Rempe play is going to be a penalty then stop putting yourself in that position. All that lets you do is complain after the fact.

100%. This isn't Brad Marchand who is a great player. Rempe doesn't give enough to override being a target for refs. You can bang your head against the wall and cry how unfair it is but in the end it won't matter. Hurting your team because life isn't fair is a dumb AF way to run your team.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
a counter to this:

Rangers trade Drury to RedW for Yzerman. straight up.

then the team in New York starts wearing RedW jerseys, and the team in Michigan starts wearing blueshirts.

Edvinsson and Seider become a by product of the deal, and Drury gets away from Shesty's contract demands. meanwhile fans in Detroit can start cheering for their new new york-based squad who are a perennial playoff team, if lacking in killer instinct.

willing to include Othmann to sweeten the pot.

Thoughts?
NOW you are carrying it to alternate universe extremes

100%. This isn't Brad Marchand who is a great player. Rempe doesn't give enough to override being a target for refs. You can bang your head against the wall and cry how unfair it is but in the end it won't matter. Hurting your team because life isn't fair is a dumb AF way to run your team.
NO
eff this bs
he plays tough but clean w/in the rules and the refs are forced to bend, buckle and break in capitulation to reality, acknowledge that, and leave his ass alone

we do not have, and will not tolerate 2 sep standards

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
NOW you are carrying it to alternate universe extremes

NO
eff this bs
he plays tough but clean w/in the rules and the refs are forced to bend, buckle and break in capitulation to reality, acknowledge that, and leave his ass alone

we do not have, and will not tolerate 2 sep standards

What are you going to do about it? Throw a tantrum? You literally can't do anything about it. Sometimes life's not fair.

Last edited:

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
What are you going to do about? Throw a tantrum? You literally can't do anything about it. Sometimes life's not fair.
It is not a tantrum to call out such conduct to the extent its a real thing
You're right, Sometimes life's not fair.
But that doesn't mean you surrender.

take a sad song, and....

... and by doing that, my conscience is clean
I was always tryin for part of the solution, not part of the problem

• Haha
Reactions: SnowblindNYR

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
This feels like the last year of contention before a retool, and I cant believe it. This window was so short
why bern pushes to expand it

Panarin has one year left after this. I’m hoping they find a way to keep him forever. He has become one of my favorite-ever players. He’s so good. Best big-deal free agent signing for the rangers ever.
Am happy you are enjoying his play
BUT
too expensive to keep as he ages

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
If the refs are going to call things like that on him then the easy solution is to not play him. Calling out the refs won't do anything. If anything, it'll make them more likely to make calls since they'll be annoyed at you. If you know the outcome of a questionable Rempe play is going to be a penalty then stop putting yourself in that position. All that lets you do is complain after the fact.
I disagree, if someone is getting unfavorable treatment that's interfering with his career it should be called out. Imo if it weren't for the league having a rod on for him he'd be a regular in the lineup. They really should atleast attempt to call it out, the league shouldn't dictate your roster

The lock of the year is that Shesterkin will sign and we'll all dislike the contract unfortunately

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
Since the other thread was deleted, someone sell me on not only changing PP1, but not giving them the Edmonton treatment.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I agree on moving Lindgren. Hopefully Jones + Mancini's play motivates Drury to shop him at the deadline. I'm not convinced on Garand, yet. I need more than just an eye test. Kravtsov and Andersson both passed the eye test as well and neither of them are currently in the league.

If Garand's posting a sub 900 SV% in the AHL, to me that tells me he's not ready for NHL shooters.
There hasn’t been a single prospect whose development woes weren’t put as accusations against the organization by Bern because they didn’t get a chance to play on the line with Panarin or paired with Fox (or these stars respective predecessors).

Reactions: Kupo

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
I disagree, if someone is getting unfavorable treatment that's interfering with his career it should be called out. Imo if it weren't for the league having a rod on for him he'd be a regular in the lineup. They really should atleast attempt to call it out, the league shouldn't dictate your roster

The lock of the year is that Shesterkin will sign and we'll all dislike the contract unfortunately
Seravalli said that he doesn’t think the rangers are gonna go over 11.
Which is the right move.
Even 11 is a little more than I’m comfortable with, but the difference is minimal enough that I won’t love it but can tolerate it.
The bigger thing is laf, the rangers are hesitant to go over 8 right now, and his team is trying to figure out the best deal for him, and we’re moving slowly and he’s the one where the number could keep going up. But we’re moving slowly.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
This feels like the last year of contention before a retool, and I cant believe it. This window was so short

Depends on how things go down.

I don't expect a 5 year rebuild plan with sell-offs for draft picks and futures. Instead, we will probably start cycling out older players.

Seems hard to picture NYR rebuilding with Fox and Lafreniere in their mid 20s.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016

I don't expect a 5 year rebuild plan with sell-offs for draft picks and futures. Instead, we will probably start cycling out older players.

If we manage the cap properly here, our window essentially opens wider in 2 seasons.
Panarins deal expires and we shouldn’t have any huge contracts to sign (chytil maybe)
and 11m+ can fix some holes.
We’ve got Perrault coming this season or next, we’re actually well positioned so long as we navigate this offseason successfully.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
You actually read his crap?
Used to years ago before I started putting ignore option to good use.

You think calling it out will change refs behavior? I don't remember a good example where it was a case.

Reactions: TominNC

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017

Igor, Fox and Lafreniere are not going anywhere anytime soon. Nor are the Rangers.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
The hardest part of a on-the-fly retool will be which of our vets we see as the Kane/Toews, Kopitar/Doughty, Malkin/Crosby, IE the people worth keeping into their late 30s, and who should be the Marian Hossas of he world who we cycle out because we can't afford them.

To be honest, we don't really have any guys 30 or older who are quite on that level. You could make a case for Panarin in the regular season but that's about it. Our top core is much better than in the mid 2010's but it's still not the core the multi-cup winners have had.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Windows are only as short as we make them. Teams that constantly trade futures for rentals artificially shorten their windows to compete.

That said, there's no reason this has to be the last year of our "window". We still have a decent group of prospects. We still have our 1st round picks. Beyond this year, we will still have our top scorers, top defense, and almost certainly our top goalie.

We may take a step back, but I don't see us becoming a lottery team as long as we hang onto our most important futures.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Windows are only as short as we make them. Teams that constantly trade futures for rentals artificially shorten their windows to compete.

That said, there's no reason this has to be the last year of our "window". We still have a decent group of prospects. We still have our 1st round picks. Beyond this year, we will still have our top scorers, top defense, and almost certainly our top goalie.

We may take a step back, but I don't see us becoming a lottery team as long as we hang onto our most important futures.

Im not following the logic that the Rangers dumping Trouba and Lindgren in all likelihood this summer (Panarin will be here next season) is going to close our window? Feels like a bigtime overdramatization of the Rangers situation. The team isnt old.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Im not following the logic that the Rangers dumping Trouba and Lindgren in all likelihood this summer (Panarin will be here next season) is going to close our window? Feels like a bigtime overdramatization of the Rangers situation. The team isnt old.
I think people are assuming that the Igor and Laf extensions will be so expensive, we won’t have the depth needed to be good (bubble playoff team instead of pushing for the presidents trophy)

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
There hasn’t been a single prospect whose development woes weren’t put as accusations against the organization by Bern because they didn’t get a chance to play on the line with Panarin or paired with Fox (or these stars respective predecessors).
wouldn't say "hasn’t been a single prospect"
I would say I have called out mgmt when imo they dropped the ball on development

Last edited by a moderator:

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
The hardest part of a on-the-fly retool will be which of our vets we see as the Kane/Toews, Kopitar/Doughty, Malkin/Crosby, IE the people worth keeping into their late 30s, and who should be the Marian Hossas of he world who we cycle out because we can't afford them.

To be honest, we don't really have any guys 30 or older who are quite on that level. You could make a case for Panarin in the regular season but that's about it. Our top core is much better than in the mid 2010's but it's still not the core the multi-cup winners have had.
imo Kreider is the only senior vet who can be kept
for short term he will continue to defy aging w/exceptional conditioning

others, not so much

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad