Roster Building Thread - Part XII

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
This Mika contract 6 more years 🤮🤮🤮🤮 i knew this contract would not end well. Kreider gotten better as he aged. Mika gotten worse. Maybe Mika just does not care. He made some bonehead mistakes last few seasons. That is unprofessional

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
you have to pay Igor, Laf and Miller first. Smith isn’t 5m of he is 3ish off. The math doesn’t work

Igor isn’t going to go to a smaller marker. He will go to Chicago to play with Bedard and probably Kaprizov eventually while the majority of Chicago young talent on ELC
I forgot Smith was retained, thanks. But it’s still 3.5mil off. Plus Lindy, plus Trouba plus the cap increase. Igor gets paid (or not) this off-season Miller will get 6 at best, a raise of 2.1 mil, Laf gets paid, from the sound of it a close to 6mil raise. If Kakko takes his step I guarantee we find the 2mil or so raise to keep him. We will have lots of cheap bottom 6 (and maybe a middle 6er or two) talent available. We have ELC Mancini looking ready. They aren’t ditching Kakko as a dump if he takes a step, and anyone they trade him for would have a cap hit too. But in general, younger players just hitting their prime are not who you salary dump.
I mean neither of us has a crystal ball, we’re going to have to wait and see, I suppose. Anything can happen.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Sometimes the player winds up with the leverage. It's not like the billionaire owner/mega corporations that own NHL teams got to where they are by being nice guys. It's what capitalism has evolved to in the first half of the 21st century and even if you don't like it it's not like there's much choice.....that's the society's economic program unless you're completely off the grid living in a cave high up some mountain and hunting with a bow and arrow.

I don't see where Drury has much choice either. The story about the Kings being interested.....I mean great but 38 year old Quick as your starter?---Domingue/Garand as the backup? The Kings have average goaltending so I can see why they'd want Igor.

Rempe, Edstrom, Mancini cheap contracts. Berard, Othmann not all that far away---a couple more cheap contracts. Don't lose sight of players like Brodzinski, Vesey who can fill out a roster and play for cheap. I think it can be done and there are other young guys coming along.
Garand is young and can/should start most games.
Ya wanna surgically sit him out vs toughest opponents to ease him a bit, fine
But while green earlier, he arguably could have stepped in last yr and there is no ? imo, which track record shows is not 100%, but usually more correct than not on these things, that he can cut the mustard and co-start now.

In any event, whether it is now or a coupla yrs down the road, we need to sell high on Shesty
that is not an option but reality in hard cap scenario so we can't just buy all top talent all the tme

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
So was there any reason why Brodz was scratched last game? It wasn't an injury or something right? I guess Laviolette just wanted to get Rempe in the home opener in front of that crowd. Don't really get it, that line was fantastic in the first game. Why break it up?
NYR has a Rempe thing. It's odd. Maybe marketing thinks he speaks to the fans who are still sore from being outmuscled by the Flyers in the 70s.

He should be in Hartford, playing a lot & hopefully improving.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I forgot Smith was retained, thanks. But it’s still 3.5mil off. Plus Lindy, plus Trouba plus the cap increase. Igor gets paid (or not) this off-season Miller will get 6 at best, a raise of 2.1 mil, Laf gets paid, from the sound of it a close to 6mil raise. If Kakko takes his step I guarantee we find the 2mil or so raise to keep him. We will have lots of cheap bottom 6 (and maybe a middle 6er or two) talent available. We have ELC Mancini looking ready. They aren’t ditching Kakko as a dump if he takes a step, and anyone they trade him for would have a cap hit too. But in general, younger players just hitting their prime are not who you salary dump.
I mean neither of us has a crystal ball, we’re going to have to wait and see, I suppose. Anything can happen.
Miller is getting more than 6

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
So was there any reason why Brodz was scratched last game? It wasn't an injury or something right? I guess Laviolette just wanted to get Rempe in the home opener in front of that crowd. Don't really get it, that line was fantastic in the first game. Why break it up?
This is the reason why. He’s not an NHL player but people like him and has marketing buzz at the moment.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Rempe plays at a base NHL level, I can't think of a time he was a huge defensive liability.

He gets run because his line doesn't get hemmed in their zone the whole shift much if at all. That's what coaches care about.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I'm on record I wanted us to go 6.25 x 8 coupla urs ago instead of stupidity of $$ on Bonino, etc etc

Howev,
I think we may luck out and he may well prefer 6.75 or better, but will take 6.25 if 8 yrs on the table.
That's 50 mil
lifetime security and you hit 30 and you get another huge payday

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I'm on record I wanted us to go 6.25 x 8 coupla urs ago instead of stupidity of $$ on Bonino, etc etc
This is what we should have done
Howev,
I think we may luck out and he may well prefer 6.75 or better, but will take 6.25 if 8 yrs on the table.
That's 50 mil
lifetime security and you hit 30 and you get another huge payday
Miller is not taking that deal. Only the no state income tax teams would be able to get a deal like that. Brady Skjei got 7 from no state income Predators. Not a perfect comp but you get the idea. He’s not taking less than that

Reactions: bernmeister

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Rempe plays at a base NHL level, I can't think of a time he was a huge defensive liability.

He gets run because his line doesn't get hemmed in their zone the whole shift much if at all. That's what coaches care about.
Rempe is only a “liability” because the officials will put him in the box for farting on someone. Laviolette and/or Drury need to go get fined and call out that the refs have no clue how to officiate him

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Signing Bonino had no bearing on anything any other player got or didn't get. He signed for 800k, which is barely above the minimum salary. If it wasn't him making that money, it would have been someone else with the same or higher cap hit. Which is exactly what happened when Bonino was sent down.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Signing Bonino had no bearing on anything any other player got or didn't get. He signed for 800k, which is barely above the minimum salary. If it wasn't him making that money, it would have been someone else with the same or higher cap hit. Which is exactly what happened when Bonino was sent down.
too tired not nuf coffee yet to remember exactly
but we signed vets when we could have scraped up the 6.25 and done internal solutions

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Rempe is only a “liability” because the officials will put him in the box for farting on someone. Laviolette and/or Drury need to go get fined and call out that the refs have no clue how to officiate him

If the refs are going to call things like that on him then the easy solution is to not play him. Calling out the refs won't do anything. If anything, it'll make them more likely to make calls since they'll be annoyed at you. If you know the outcome of a questionable Rempe play is going to be a penalty then stop putting yourself in that position. All that lets you do is complain after the fact.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016

Rempe is not a base 4th line player if you look at what he does at an nhl level vs what he can’t do at an nhl level.

His passing isn’t nhl level, his shot isn’t an nhl level, his ability to read the play isn’t at an nhl level, his ability to change directions isn’t at an nhl level.

He has above average nhl level straight line speed. He hits, and at times absolutely losses control of his body to where it is a penalty. That’s really all he does at an nhl level.

This is why the Rempe discussion doesn’t make sense.
Edstrom is what we should want, and people can’t see the massive gap between the two.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Garand is young and can/should start most games.
Ya wanna surgically sit him out vs toughest opponents to ease him a bit, fine
But while green earlier, he arguably could have stepped in last yr and there is no ? imo, which track record shows is not 100%, but usually more correct than not on these things, that he can cut the mustard and co-start now.

In any event, whether it is now or a coupla yrs down the road, we need to sell high on Shesty
that is not an option but reality in hard cap scenario so we can't just buy all top talent all the tme

Barring any injuries Garand is Quick's eventual replacement......not Igor's. I think he's a good goalie but keep in mind he's not even necessarily the go to starter in Hartford yet. He's got the playoff games the past couple years and done really well but last year Domingue was up with the Rangers throughout the NHL playoffs. Also keep in mind that a whole shitload of us knew about Igor quite a while before he came over from SKA Petersburg. He was like 24/25 years old when he finally came over. Garand is 22 and not quite the goalie Igor was in Russia at 22. If/when Garand does make the NHL expect him to be earmarked as the backup for a year or two or three or maybe that's all he'll ever be.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
Maybe. I not going to pretend I can predict with any certainty what he gets. We are going to have to wait and see, what he does this year will certainly impact it, just like with KK. But as I said I can’t see NYR cap dumping Kakko. Either he stays a stalwart defensive forward with limited scoring (even this past disaster year he was at 0.3PPG) and gets very little raise, or he takes a step and gets another 2mil-ish over where he is. Nothing really to be gained cap dumping a fairly young contributing player at that hit. Dumber things have happened though, so if it does, feel free to bust my balls. Hahaha. I can take it.

Rempe is not a base 4th line player if you look at what he does at an nhl level vs what he can’t do at an nhl level.

His passing isn’t nhl level, his shot isn’t an nhl level, his ability to read the play isn’t at an nhl level, his ability to change directions isn’t at an nhl level.

He has above average nhl level straight line speed. He hits, and at times absolutely losses control of his body to where it is a penalty. That’s really all he does at an nhl level.

This is why the Rempe discussion doesn’t make sense.
Edstrom is what we should want, and people can’t see the massive gap between the two.
I want BOTH Ed and Rempe. And IMO both can contribute at this level. Rempe was causing Dmen to handle the puck like a grenade last game. And they are both cheap.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
too tired not nuf coffee yet to remember exactly
but we signed vets when we could have scraped up the 6.25 and done internal solutions
Those internal solutions would have cost the same amount of cap space, if not more. So no, we couldn't have scraped up the 6.25. At best, we could have saved 25k by replacing Bonino with another player. That isn't enough to do anything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad