Roster Building Thread - Part XII(Training Camp/Preseason)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
How does it not make sense? Besides faceoffs, Trocheck doesn’t really have a role on the PP. He’s not a shooter, a distributor , playmaker, or net front guy.

You already have a right handed center in Zibanejad .

Laf at least offers a precious left handed shot, and is a more skilled player.

Imagine Panarin or Zib taking one timers when the PK actually has a shooting threat on the other side?

He was very productive last year on PP1.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
He still produced the least of the top unit. Makes me think he’s benefitting from them more than the other way around.

And I just hate having all righties on the unit. Kreider doesn’t count as a LHS because he doesn’t actually shoot.

Zib’s shot was neutered heavily last season because teams knew they could just shadow that side of the ice because that’s the only place a big shot is coming from.
Someone is going to be 5th in the group of 5. No personnel change makes that any different.

Zib's shot wasn't heavily neutered the year before when he had 20 PPGs with the same group and same structure. He just shot and played worse, while the year before probably ran hot.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Mikas one timer wasn’t ineffective tho.
His pp points didn’t drop, his 5v5 points did.

This is a wild statement.

They both dropped but Mika's 31 PP points last season were the second highest total of his career (topped only by the previous season where he had 38.)

Suggesting that he is THE problem with a top 3-5 unit in the league for the last 5 years where he has been a mainstay is incredibly silly though. It's the one area of his game where he was still impactful last year (I'm in agreement with you on this.)

The 5v5 stuff is way more concerning. Last season is the first year he had or paced fewer than 50 5v5 points since 2017-18 which was the year before he broke out.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Trochek has a role on that PP because he defers but he is also pretty sneaky good at retrieving pucks, supporting pucks, supporting players in that high slot area and winning faceoffs. All of which help that PP hum along.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Trochek has a role on that PP because he defers but he is also pretty sneaky good at retrieving pucks, supporting pucks, supporting players in that high slot area and winning faceoffs. All of which help that PP hum along.
He’s also mediocre at puck possession and doesn’t have great hands for a 1t.
His right hand shot helps a ton because he’s fed one timers from Mika and Ck.
A lefty there would require the one timer from the opposite wall.

People want Laf on the PP to say look how good our first pick is, and then will get mad when he wants 9.5 million dollars a year next summer.
He already wants more than that. My guess is he’s getting 10m.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
He’s also mediocre at puck possession and doesn’t have great hands for a 1t.
His right hand shot helps a ton because he’s fed one timers from Mika and Ck.
A lefty there would require the one timer from the opposite wall.

He already wants more than that. My guess is he’s getting 10m.

He's clearly not getting that based on the contracts for Raymond, Seider, Guenther.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
okay, let’s change absolutely nothing and run it back again and just hope and pray it works out differently this year. And hope that last season wasn’t the peak .

People want Laf on the PP to say look how good our first pick is, and then will get mad when he wants 9.5 million dollars a year next summer.
I think the Rangers should, for once, reward players for their play. Even if they don’t happen to be high paid veterans

Reactions: Atax

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019

So Sykora and Roobroeck got sent down and played well last night, but Grouxl, Korczak are still with the team. Why is Fitzgerald and Mackey still here? They are awful

Guyute

Sponsor
Feb 17, 2013

So Sykora and Roobroeck got sent down and played well last night, but Grouxl, Korczak are still with the team. Why is Fitzgerald and Mackey still here? They are awful
Fitzgerald is here for when they trade for Brady Tkachuk

• Haha
Reactions: RangersFan1994

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Korczak is recovering from injury, no urgency to demote

Groulx spent ALL of '23-24 in NHL, will play tonight, may be waived later this week. Or make final roster, though I don't expect that

Mackey is an obvious guy for a longer look w Lindgren injury

Fitzgerald MUST still be with team today
Waivers-required guys CanNOT be demoted until/unless they clear waivers first
Been this way for years and years
Fitzgerald was waived today (Blidh, Domingue, Scanlin, too)

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
Why do we keep these guys around for so f***ing long every preseason? This team really does bend over backwards to try and convince itself the vets are playing better than the younger players.

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
I don’t know why I’m surprised that the main argument on here is about splitting powerplay units because people are upset about the 3rd best powerplay in the league for some reason. Crazy idea, but I think the problem might be the inept 5v5 offensive plan of cycling the puck to take a bunch of low-percentage point shots instead of utilizing the talent that this team has to move players through the slot and generate different looks that way. When the opposing team only has to box you out to keep you from getting below the circles, it’s not a difficult task for them

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad