Roster Building Thread - Part XII(Training Camp/Preseason)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
I think many of PP2's initial on ice situation include offensive zone draws. Goalie gets a stoppage/save on PP1... PP2 comes over the boards.

Id wager that is fairly common.
FAR more often the puck gets cleared with 30-40 seconds left on the PP and only then the 2nd unit gets sent on.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
The problem is it HAS gone stale the last two post seasons when we needed it and we had NO alternatives. We lost to both the Devils and Panthers in large part because we had all of our eggs in one PP basket and the f***ing bottom fell out of that basket. Saying it was against better defensive teams (which I would HARDLY call that NJD team) is just another way of saying it’s a PP that just feasts on lesser teams. I don’t care what ranking it has, for the year or the last 2 decades, or how many regular season goals it scored… if that’s the case it WILL cost us in the playoffs again.
The regular season is when a team on the level of NYR needs to work out these alternatives. Get other units familiar with each other. We need to have contingencies. We are making the playoffs. Trading off finishing first in the league for 5th in the league for being a team prepared to win in the playoffs is a no brainer. Unless what’s important to one is being able to tout what great rankings we have even though we lose in the playoffs.

The solution is easy, just incorporate some different looks on the pp, I mean Stevie wonder could see we're constantly trying to get the puck to Zibanejad. I've said for a long time that putting Laf in the bumper instantly creates other opportunities. You can pass to Zib, he can either shoot or pass to Laf for a one timer. Work it down low to Kreider, now he has two options for a shooter with Zib and Laf. Sometimes all it takes to throw a team off is to change the handedness of the bumper.

Reactions: bhamill

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
There are 32 teams. Give us 2 (which is barely 6%) where 1. you think PP1 didn’t go stale for 10-15 game stretch at no point during season and 2. Before it got Rangers level stale they were able to correct it through a personnel change.

In fact, I can tell you the Oilers went through:
3 game stretch without a PPG - 9 times
4 game stretch without a PPG - 3 times
5 game stretch without a PPG - 1 time

Playoffs:

3 game stretch: 2 times
4 game stretch: 1 time

(And ended the season on a game 2 stretch, didn't get a third game).

Kind of surprising they didn't try to balance out the units after it went stale and split up McDavid and Draisaitl. They had some young guys like Holloway and experienced vets like Henrique who could have used the time.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
There are 32 teams. Give us 2 (which is barely 6%) where 1. you think PP1 didn’t go stale for 10-15 game stretch at no point during season and 2. Before it got Rangers level stale they were able to correct it through a personnel change.
Why? That’s not my point AT ALL. My point is that it has in large part cost us two PLAYOFF series. I frankly couldn’t care less whose PP did or didn’t go stale during the season. I care about NYR pp going SO stale in the post season that it is a huge reason for a playoff series loss. And you are missing the rest of the point as well: we should be working out alternatives BEFORE it goes stale. That’s the whole point of what I’m saying: we watched our PP fail two post seasons in a row while we got bounced, let’s find a solution BEFORE it happens again… not sure why this is some sort of controversial idea. Hahahaha.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Top 5 power plays 23-24 regular season.

1. Tampa Bay 28.6
2. Carolina 26.9
3. Rangers 26.4
4. Edmonton 26.3
5. Colorado 24.5

I don't know. If anyone here were to ask me if a 26.4 power play was okay I think I'd have to say yes, I'm fine with that. Some of the best offensive players in the league in those top 5 teams--Kucherov, McDavid, Draisatl, MacKinnon, Makar.

So I looked up what those top 5 teams did in the playoffs on the power play.

That goes like this:

1. Colorado 36.7
2. Edmonton 29.3
3. Rangers 24
4. Tampa Bay 20
5. Carolina 19.4

There wasn't a lot of drop-off with the Rangers power play which was killing it kind of in the Colorado/Edmonton range of % until they hit what was to become the Stanley Cup winner.

That said---Rangers only got 15 power plays in 6 games against the Panthers. The last game they only got 1. Part of that is the deeper teams go into playoffs it seems the more the refs put their whistles in their pockets but also the Rangers had a hard time generating any offense and were pinned in their own end a lot in that series. Rangers only scored one power play goal in those 15 chances. Our power play didn't do it against the Panthers yes but it didn't get lots of opportunity either and against a very good defensive team. Even splitting up the power play if you're only getting two a night odds are stacked against it anyway.

• Love
Reactions: leetch99

80s Kid

Feb 20, 2023
AZ
Our PP is the least or our problems. When you get to the playoffs, the opponents are not only better but they have time to specifically game plan against your PP unlike during the regular season.

Part of the game plan includes staying out of the penalty box which Florida was better at last year. Vegas also took very few penalties during their run.

The solution is better 5v5 play (shocker). Sure you want your PP to be good but even the best PP runs cold at times and if the opponent stays out of the box, they've just neutralized your strength.

I just think all this talk about how to improve one of the best PPs in the league is missing the big picture. 5v5 has been this team's weakness for a while and until it gets better, we'll continue to live and die by the PP and we've seen how that's worked out.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Why? That’s not my point AT ALL. My point is that it has in large part cost us two PLAYOFF series. I frankly couldn’t care less whose PP did or didn’t go stale during the season. I care about NYR pp going SO stale in the post season that it is a huge reason for a playoff series loss. And you are missing the rest of the point as well: we should be working out alternatives BEFORE it goes stale. That’s the whole point of what I’m saying: we watched our PP fail two post seasons in a row while we got bounced, let’s find a solution BEFORE it happens again… not sure why this is some sort of controversial idea. Hahahaha.
I think my point is that you’re trying to find a solution that either doesn’t exist or impossible to really address. Rangers “luck” is that PP dried out in playoff but this is where those calling for 5x5 improvement are right - 5x5 is more important than PP even if there could be some bad luck influence as well. Rangers PP is at the very top of the league and this is what best of the best looks like.

Reactions: eco's bones

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I think my point is that you’re trying to find a solution that either doesn’t exist or impossible to really address. Rangers “luck” is that PP dried out in playoff but this is where those calling for 5x5 improvement are right - 5x5 is more important than PP even if there could be some bad luck influence as well. Rangers PP is at the very top of the league and this is what best of the best looks like.
Both things can be true. We need to be better 5 on 5 and be able to adapt when teams get on to our pp setup.

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
The solution is easy, just incorporate some different looks on the pp, I mean Stevie wonder could see we're constantly trying to get the puck to Zibanejad. I've said for a long time that putting Laf in the bumper instantly creates other opportunities. You can pass to Zib, he can either shoot or pass to Laf for a one timer. Work it down low to Kreider, now he has two options for a shooter with Zib and Laf. Sometimes all it takes to throw a team off is to change the handedness of the bumper.
They know what we’re going to do and it still works

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
The “force the puck to Zibanejad” thing on the pp is such a lazy narrative. They don’t do that and I’ve already showed numerous times that his individual pp attempts / teams pp attenpts with him on the ice was actually lower for him than many other players in the same role. I’m not going through all the numbers again. They do spread around the shots.

Reactions: frozenrubber

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I’d be upset if the Rangers lost Brodzinski to a waiver claim. I get that maybe the risk is not that great given that he’s been sent to Hartford without issues half dozen times in the last few years. This time around it feels different - Brodzinski got himself some recognition performing very well for a President Cup team. Teams that are in rebuild should easily find a permanent lineup spot for him, potentially even pretty high.

The Rangers have options to avoid this risk that would require one of Rempe / Edstrom (Othmann too but he got additional considerations too) to start at Hartford and wait for an inevitable injury to happen. If it were up to me this is what I’d do. As @NYR Viper mentioned yesterday there’s already an uncertainty about Chytil staying healthy and if Brodzinski is lost and then Chytil goes out of lineup - Rangers options are pretty dire. I don’t want to have another year with Bonino level player being 3C for an extended period.
Concur generally but we should not short change ourselves w/RempEd by keeping Vesey
speak the truth people
nothing vs the kid, but his time has come and gone
Brodz is better
admit it, be guided accordingly

Brodzinski is a Bonino level player, he may not even be at that level because Bonino was a bonifide nhl player for some time. I'm not sure why people wanna walk out the same old roster every year, Edstrom, Othmann or Rempe should have the spot over Brodz, if we can't send Brodz back and forth without him getting claimed then get someone we can. He's not Selanne, he's a good AHL player who can fill in if need be.
Disagree
During his only time as a R, Bonino totally sucked ass except at winning faceoffs and blocking shots. Everything else = total crap
Brodz is not a stud or a star, but he is way better than Bonino

Edstrom getting shafted again. If we lose that kid for nothing I’m gonna be pissed.
Fact the guy could be sent down is secondary to pt that that should NOT happen
Merit.
Guy has earned a spot
Wanna not be pissed?
Get ahead of the prob so it is not created/
Join bern's trade Vesey NOW
and stop excessive preference to vets

Sure then get a player that can pass through waivers instead of holding kids back because of fear of losing an AHL level player.
No.
Ni such gyrations are necessary
Admit it is Vesey who no longer deserves to be here

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
The “force the puck to Zibanejad” thing on the pp is such a lazy narrative. They don’t do that and I’ve already showed numerous times that his individual pp attempts / teams pp attenpts with him on the ice was actually lower for him than many other players in the same role. I’m not going through all the numbers again. They do spread around the shots.
But facts don’t fit the narrative of people who want to mess with a top PP.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
someone made a thread called 'blockbuster' which a mod closed directing it be sent here
Another poster receiving several likes asked me to show the newbie how it's done
[thanks for the kind words and the love]

The post said:
Marner, Woll, Liljegren, Niemela & a 1st Rd pick in 2026 NHL draft to the Rangers for Shesterkin & Trouba

A 2nd Rd pick in 2026 to a third party team to eat half of Trouba 8 million dollar cap hit.

Kampf, Reaves, Timmins & Jarncrock traded

Paciorrety & Lorentz signed as UFA's

------------
We can't deal Trouba, except MAYBE to Isles or Devils b'c they are close enuf
We are not doing that
I have considered Shesty + Trouba
for
Dobson +
and considering Isles would require Igor extended before as a condition I am leaning more towards other options.

More importantly, WE DO NOT WANT MARNER
It has to be Shesty + Zib + small +
for
Nylander ++

THAT works for both teams
Leafs get elite Vez stud in prime 5-6 yrs or more w/extension
recover most of Nylander taking on Zib

Rs avoid structural cap prob w/Shesty going younger w/Garand
obtain better pure scorer
Zib $ for only a bit more Nyl = smart cap mgmt
we create cap $ for KAM + others getting extended
and we add futures

we are all unique
but some things are not easily done by most
like Frodo carrying the ring,
going full bern is best done ... by bern

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
They know what we’re going to do and it still works
Works in regular season when teams don't do as much prep work before games and vs lesser teams but when you get into a 7 game series teams adjust to your powerplay, you need to adjust and throw some new variables as them.

In fact, I can tell you the Oilers went through:
3 game stretch without a PPG - 9 times
4 game stretch without a PPG - 3 times
5 game stretch without a PPG - 1 time

Playoffs:

3 game stretch: 2 times
4 game stretch: 1 time

(And ended the season on a game 2 stretch, didn't get a third game).

Kind of surprising they didn't try to balance out the units after it went stale and split up McDavid and Draisaitl. They had some young guys like Holloway and experienced vets like Henrique who could have used the time.
They have McDavid and Draisaitl all game, doesn't matter what your pp looks like that can cover up a lot of warts

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Mika's shooting % was his lowest since 16-17 last year. The slap shot on the power play often comes after the pucks been whipped around the perimeter a bit and then someone makes a seam pass at velocity for him to one time and the pass needs some precision and the timing on his part is most important and the pass coming his way if it's just a little in front or a little behind the puck is more likely to be off the mark on his shot. It's coming so fast there's really no time to adjust. It can also be frustrating when his stick snaps which seems to happen often enough. I think the Rangers look at that as something baked into the situation.....it's going to happen or it's not. These sticks these days and the whip they have on the shafts and all....they f***ing break all the time.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Edstrom has had a way better camp and is a better player but the team is gonna send him down to keep Rempe so they can sell jerseys lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad