Roster Building Thread - Part XII(Training Camp/Preseason)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Are we confident he's part of the top 6? I mean, I would hope so, but NYR mgmt views don't always align with mine.
Coach and the gm who hired him, are likely gonna be in constant discussions over roster moves at this time of the year.
The fact that Drury didn’t bring in a ld at all says a lot.

Reactions: kovazub94

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Are we confident he's part of the top 6? I mean, I would hope so, but NYR mgmt views don't always align with mine.
Who's going to take his spot? You can throw (wild) suggestions but unless there's some clearly unexpected factor - like a huge development spike improvement from someone like Robertson - Jones is in at the start of the season if he's ready to go.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I'm in the edstrom and rempe on a line with Carrick camp, I love having all that mass on the forecheck. Edstrom has better skill, Rempe more nasty. They each add to that 4th line. I realize we have vesey but imo the 13th forward should be edstrom or rempe, not Brodzinski.

With regards to Jones, I see us letting him play a lot this year but moving him for a more sizeable player. Big d win playoffs most of the time. We've already got 2 undersized guys in fox and lindgren.

Reactions: LaffyTaffy13

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
With regards to Jones, I see us letting him play a lot this year but moving him for a more sizeable player. Big d win playoffs most of the time. We've already got 2 undersized guys in fox and lindgren.
1726500877744.gif

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Zac Jones isn't really what we need to worry about with the defense. Once he started getting regular minutes last year he performed well in a limit role (which is what he will get this upcoming season anyway.)

What we need to worry about is Trouba if he is in a top 4 role and Lindgren no matter what role he plays. Those guys are bad and are more likely than not to eat pretty significant minutes.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
I love bern but I legit lol’d at this.
putting aside the many predictions he's made that were borne out contrary to his prognostications - has the guy ever admitted that he could be wrong about his "understanding" of a players capabilities, limits, and proper deployment?

has he ever given a shred of credence to the notion that maybe Zibanejad as a RW on a line with Kreider and Rempe as a centre might be, if not outrageously misguided, at least abstruse enough so as to not deserve the 100% impregnable assurance that accompanies it and it's ilk every single time?

or is it always just pure infallibility?

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
There no reason not to give Zac a ton of leash. He earned it with the way he played last season. He needs to run PP2 as well. No more Trouba and no more Miller, they can’t QB a PP. Simple as that.

I’d love to see Schneider get a look on the PP.

I think Jones with Trouba will work for now. He can create while Trouba stays back. He’ll only get better with consistent ice time. Would like to see him get some exhibition reps with Mancini. Could be a good, mobile pair for 25-26

Trouba staying back while he goes up ice for a hit and a 2 on 0 or 2 on 1 go the other way towards IGOR. It’s a shame they cant make Trouba the 7th dman

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
putting aside the many predictions he's made that were borne out contrary to his prognostications - has the guy ever admitted that he could be wrong about his "understanding" of a players capabilities, limits, and proper deployment?

has he ever given a shred of credence to the notion that maybe Zibanejad as a RW on a line with Kreider and Rempe as a centre might be, if not outrageously misguided, at least abstruse enough so as to not deserve the 100% impregnable assurance that accompanies it and it's ilk every single time?

I once messaged him in a private message and I thought maybe he talked the way he does on the board but privately is different. Nope, he still talks like that. There's a word for it delusions of grandeur. And part of me feels bad because clearly he has issues. But the other part of me resents it when people display narcissistic behavior whether they have issues or not.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
I once messaged him in a private message and I thought maybe he talked the way he does on the board but privately is different. Nope, he still talks like that. There's a word for it delusions of grandeur. And part of me feels bad because clearly he has issues. But the other part of me resents it when people display narcissistic behavior whether they have issues or not.
it bugs me too.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
We'll need our potential pluses to outweigh minuses to be a better team.

Leaving some guys off who I feel won't be too big of a change in either direction compared to last year (Cuyle, Rempe etc.). Not sure where Miller would go, the guy can look like a game breaker in either direction at times. He's 24 so still has some time to get a better grip on defensive positioning, puck handling, and off the puck play.

Rookies- I've learned my lesson hoping for rookies to come in and make an impact their first season so I'm leaving those guys off both lists for now.

Potential Pluses/Team Improvements:

Jones looked good last year and perhaps can take the next step from competent bottom pairing D (which he appeared to be in limited showing last year) to a middle pairing PMD this year. Need him to bump Trouba to the bottom pair where he belongs
Laf took a big step last year maybe can take another one this year
Kakko can't be any worse (hopefully)
Chytil can't be any worse than not being around last year
Fox had a down year last year with some nagging injuries, hopefully has a bounce back season
Schneider feels like a mid 20's vet but is still only 22 and has room to grow

Potential Negatives:

Our core offensive guys are getting older and eventually we'll see a large downturn in production, if we have not already started to
Zibs- while he's only 31, I'm not sure he has it in him to become the 90+ point player again. He's had some serious injuries (concussions, broken leg while attacking the net) and I hate it but I also do understand his lack of 'attack' mentality because of them
Kreider- he's 33 and his scoring touch (deflections/net front presence) is not likely to go anywhere soon, but his ability to push teams back and tenacity along the boards will start to take a hit soon.
Panarin- He'll continue to be elite in the regular season but not sure we'll ever see a game changer out of him during tight playoff hockey. He already used his secret weapon (bald) and it didn't work....
Trouba fiasco- when your management tries to ship out your captain who refuses to leave because of family reasons, that can cause some resentment on the player's (Trouba's) part and some awkwardness in the locker room. Kind of undercuts his leadership ability (was it ever really there to begin with?) and stripping captaincy is even worse

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

Overall:
1. No one gets them all right all the time, bern included
2. That said, my track record is good and I'm confident many more hits than misses so the insinuation of your first phrase is erroneous.
3. In support of #2 above are MANY instances which I have called out in real time or even ahead, and were proven right, not just after the fact. Just a couple of concrete illustrations: should have traded Buch early on to max value, not given away picks w/idiotic win now approach, should have drafted dobson inst of Krav, etc etc etc.
4. So while any of us COULD be wrong, at any time, about anything subjective not confirmed by past objective criteria suggesting current/projected results, on totality overall, your charge is bogus.

Current:
A - At the time I suggested trying Boo as pivot there was min alternate Fs of sufficient quality that at least an experiment can/should be attempted. Fair proof: after we got Panarin, we saw the ordinary Strome have exceptional chemistry there not visible in other combos. So esp w/out solid basis to try otherwise an experiment was warranted, not to be dismissed.
B - No one is saying at sq 1 now put rempe w/Kreider + Zib. Unless we can do some variant of
Zib + Shesty +
for
Nylander ++
there will remain a need to find something that works b'c wonder twins are not consistent.

There is no reason that cannot eventually be an Edstrom, who is proving to be more polished now,
and once he gets more polished, even possibly Rempe. Then.

Open, not closed minds, work best esp at outside the box, which like it or not, admit it or not, is necessary when solutions to problems do not present themselves quickly at sq 1

effen

Feb 3, 2018
I'm in the edstrom and rempe on a line with Carrick camp, I love having all that mass on the forecheck. Edstrom has better skill, Rempe more nasty. They each add to that 4th line. I realize we have vesey but imo the 13th forward should be edstrom or rempe, not Brodzinski.

Brodzinski is 100% making the team as none of the other forwards can take a NHL shift at Center if one of the top 4 go down.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
1. I thought we were told to play nice.
2. delusions of grandeur = 3 words not 1.
3. As to "clearly he has issues" you are not qualified to be my judge, and I expect for anyone else as well.
4. It is not narcissistic to take a position that you are correct and then insist if someone disagrees, that they not merely say so, but substantiate why. That is called championing a competition of ideas, which serves us all.

Tell it like it is, let your conscience be your guide

it bugs me too.
see the above

effen

Feb 3, 2018
I think it's a pretty big leap to assume he has big issues when it's a lot more likely he's a guy having fun on the internet in a 2nd/3rd language.

He pretty clearly had grounds to tell you to jump in a lake given what you wrote and instead ^ above ^ took a high road.

Rock on bern.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Trouba fiasco- when your management tries to ship out your captain who refuses to leave because of family reasons, that can cause some resentment on the player's (Trouba's) part and some awkwardness in the locker room. Kind of undercuts his leadership ability (was it ever really there to begin with?) and stripping captaincy is even worse
Just to point out, there was zero indication that the rangers and/or Trouba were actually upset.
Trouba said no, rangers accepted it.

People on the boards are likely far more upset than anyone in the rangers org.
He's currently at the golf outing.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Just to point out, there was zero indication that the rangers and/or Trouba were actually upset.

Maybe he holds no resentment for it, that would be great. Regardless, I'm sure he'll be included in everything, will say all the right things, and everyone goes about their regular business, but there's got to be some amount of uneasiness and awkwardness when the team tries to trade it's Captain and it falls through, regardless of reason.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
At the time I suggested trying Boo as pivot there was min alternate Fs of sufficient quality that at least an experiment can/should be attempted. Fair proof: after we got Panarin, we saw the ordinary Strome have exceptional chemistry there not visible in other combos. So esp w/out solid basis to try otherwise an experiment was warranted, not to be dismissed.

Strome was already a bona fide NHLer before gelling with Panarin. Nieves was nothing of the sort so that suggestion was kind of on the wilder side.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011

But his Dog said "Whoof, whooof, whoooo... Whoof.
The 4th o is very telling in this scenario.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad