Roster Building Thread - Part XII(Training Camp/Preseason)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I wish there was like a skating graph that plotted players. Everyone seems to have a different concept of what a "good" skater is. The only thing in my mind is like "he's no McDavid. he's no Hagelin. he's certainly better than a Colton Orr or Jed Ortmeyer though. I just don't know what the middle of the pack looks like. And what are we measuring on besides speed and turning? Acceleration? Ability to chase a puck down? Puck protection?
The ability to get to where he needs to be when he needs to be there.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Big Erne?

IMG_6527.gif

Ned Braden

Feb 2, 2018
I can't watch Othmann without seeing JT Miller, they are essentially the same player imo. Hopefully we can unlock Othmann quicker than Miller got unlocked.
Hey I like Othmann but this is a wild comparison. Miller is bigger, faster, better at passing, and a center. He's actually kind of a talent freak in that regard, as you don't see a lot of fast power forwards that are also great playmakers. Seriously, start counting guys like that on your fingers...i'm not sure you get to your second hand, and definitely not your toes.

If Kreider slimmed down about ten pounds and suddenly grew elite vision, he'd be JT Miller. Giving this guy away was the worst part of the worst trade the Rangers made this century.

Othmann not only isn't Miller, he has no skill set that will ever allow him to be Miller. A better comp would be a developing version of someone like Hyman or even Laf. I think he will be a good top six forward at some point...and i hope he forces his way onto this year's team. But he's not JT Miller.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I think shit had to happen to J.T. for J.T. to become the player he's become. He had to go through some real adversity. The two trades were big pieces of that adversity for him. We couldn't break his immaturity but that adversity eventually did. Also the situation in Vancouver was right for him. He was always going to be kind of a second banana here and definitely in Tampa. With the Canucks the opportunity for him to rise above the rest of their forwards really existed and the kind of offense that the Canucks have put together (starting with Quinn Hughes and Elias Peterson) compliment and accentuate his strengths. He leaned into it and became the driver and leader of their offense.

I think kind of the same thing happened more positively for us with Kreider. The difference was not so much Chris's personality but making the best use of his game took a long time. He's had his best seasons by far since he hit 30. That's very rarely how things work.

In the end both of those were outstanding draft picks for us where they were taken. It's just one of them worked out better for another team and probably wasn't going to work out the same for us if we kept him.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
He has no problem getting around the ice, you're trying to make him out to be a guy in workboots. Absolutely nothing wrong with his skating, can it improve, yes, but it's never hindered him before and he isn't a finished product. Not sure why people are dumping on the guy, he hasn't even made the nhl yet and people writing him off.
Nobody made him out to be a guy skating in work boots. I said his skating needs further development and didn't dump on him. You came here and said "He skates well for his size."

It's not dumping on the prospect by acknowledging that skating isn't his greatest area on the rink, and maybe it wouldn't show as much if he was an elite playmaker, puck carrier, etc.

This guy is gonna be good for us. Not listening to the negative nellys

An offensive zone penalty. Now I see why you compared him to JT Miller. (I kid...)

Last edited:

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
Othmann not only isn't Miller, he has no skill set that will ever allow him to be Miller. A better comp would be a developing version of someone like Hyman or even Laf. I think he will be a good top six forward at some point...and i hope he forces his way onto this year's team. But he's not JT Miller.
1726233268253.gif

• Haha
Reactions: SnowblindNYR

alkurtz

Nov 26, 2006
Charlotte, NC
I think we are comparing Othmann now to JT Miller now, not when Miller was the same age. Othmann has some filling out, some maturing to do, and some improving to do. Although projecting forward it is hard to see BO becoming a 90+ point scorer, we just don't really know what Othmann will look like in five years. I kind of like the comparison, the template set, and the potential that exists so right now I'm more than willing to hold on to the possibility.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Rangers can't be bothered to stream the game themselves? Not showing much confidence in their rookies if they are trying to hide them from the fan base.

They've been doing this with the Flyers rookies 4/5 years now and it's always been in Philadelphia and always been the Philly stream. When they were in the Traverse City tournament I think MSG did that one time only and before and afterwards let Detroit run the entire shebang. So really nothing has changed. If the Rangers were to stream it that would be the change but I don't think they're going to any time soon no matter how good or bad the team they send is.

it's nice to watch. It gives a perspective of where some of these guys are. But really the games are pretty much meaningless in a bigger or smaller picture respect. The Philly team with Michkov, Bonk, Lutchanko, Andrae seems a bit deeper than ours. They have some big and nasty players besides so I'd expect our guys are going to have their work cut out for them. Garand's probably the goalie that's closest to the NHL but I wouldn't expect him to play both nights and he may only play half a game. Other than Mancini and Robertson the other defenders are either AHL signees or tryouts so I see a weakness there. If we win one we'll have done pretty well.

Reactions: bernmeister

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Unserious NYR bullshit of the day: they didn’t make Rempe go to rookie camp

I don't see the issue with this. He was on the playoff roster getting actual ice time through the ECF.

More minutes for other guys to get a look. Any improvements Rempe may or may not have made will be on display over the next few weeks against teams actually icing rosters that have players who will be regulars this upcoming season.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
i dunno how many clues NYR fans need before they get it: Matt Rempe is making the every day roster, he's not viewed like a rookie, he's looked at as a unicorn asset to the team.

For all he does, he's just another self imposed manacle on this team. we cannot help ourselves

Last edited:

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
i dunno how many clues BYR fans need before they get it: Matt Rempe is making the every day roster, he's not viewed like a rookie, he's looked at as a unicorn asset to the team.

For all he does, he's just another self imposed manacle on this team. we cannot help ourselves
If he makes the every day roster I might legitimately be done.
He’s a face puncher until he shows he’s anything other than a face puncher.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
You won't be done. You might be shaking your head but that's about it. :)
I disliked the reaves signing but justified it internally because at least he could do other hockey things.
Reaves is a functionally better hockey player than Rempe.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
If he makes the every day roster I might legitimately be done.
He’s a face puncher until he shows he’s anything other than a face puncher.
what's funny about Rempe's inevitable roster spot written in pen is that they're not going to play Edström, who they'll likely lose for nothing.

Edström is a big lunch pail defensive forward who can skate like the wind, take the body, score a dirty goal every now and then, and generally make life miserable for the opponents. He'll never see a regular shift for this team because Matt Rempe is what they prioritize.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
what's funny about Rempe's inevitable roster spot written in pen is that they're not going to play Edström, who they'll likely lose for nothing.

Edström is a big lunch pail defensive forward who can skate like the wind, take the body, score a dirty goal every now and then, and generally make life miserable for the opponents. He'll never see a regular shift for this team because Matt Rempe is what they prioritize.

Not necessarily plus both Rempe and Edstrom can go up and down they have both with no waivers

I think Rempe isn’t on the team full time because Edstrom , Bedard or Othmaan will push for time

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY

It's wild people don't think Rempe will be heavily/primarily used to match up against teams with goons. If Edstrom & Co. are demonstrably better, they will play and Rempe will sit. If they can't beat out Rempe by playing half-decent hockey, that's probably not someone I'd want on the team full-time anyway.

Reactions: bhamill

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
It's wild people don't think Rempe will be heavily/primarily used to match up against teams with goons. If Edstrom & Co. are demonstrably better, they will play and Rempe will sit. If they can't beat out Rempe by playing half-decent hockey, that's probably not someone I'd want on the team full-time anyway.

I've heard a lot around here about the Rangers "playing down to the other teams level" and matching their goons with one of our own in lieu of playing a better player seems like a good reason why that would happen.

Reactions: tiggles

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Hey I like Othmann but this is a wild comparison. Miller is bigger, faster, better at passing, and a center. He's actually kind of a talent freak in that regard, as you don't see a lot of fast power forwards that are also great playmakers. Seriously, start counting guys like that on your fingers...i'm not sure you get to your second hand, and definitely not your toes.

If Kreider slimmed down about ten pounds and suddenly grew elite vision, he'd be JT Miller. Giving this guy away was the worst part of the worst trade the Rangers made this century.

He's jt Miller when jt was his age, I honestly think posters on here don't have an appreciation for player's outside the US development, to say he doesn't have a skill set that could turn him into a really good player is far from accurate. Everyone is focused on 1 year in the ahl, I've been watching him for years, his talent will shine through when he's comfortable, it always does, he was picked for team canada more than once for that reason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad