Roster Building Thread - Part XII(Training Camp/Preseason)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Does anyone else worry about the effect of Benoit Allaire stepping away? He’s the guy who made Hank, and Talbot and Raanta both looked a whole lot better under his watch than they did on other teams…

It takes a village, after all ;)
I do but I'm also assuming that he's trained the guys that will take over to do the same things he does, and he'll still be around the franchise, just not as much.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
So, I’m going to the rookie series game in Allentown on Saturday night. Any idea when rosters will be posted? Would be nice to see Michkov up close in a small venue.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Lundqvist was a record-setting goalie in Sweden before he came over. Allaire obviously helped him grow, as Lundqvist himself has said, but it was his talent, work ethic, and competitive nature that made him. I think you can say the same for Shesterkin, who was considered to be one of the best two or three goalies outside of the NHL before he came over. He seems to be similar to Lundqvist with his ultra-competitive nature.

I wouldn't worry too much about him. And Allaire is still around even if it's in a different capacity.
Agree and I would add that any NHL insider would be able to spit out off the top of his head at least 4-6 names of goalie coaches of the same ilk. I will surely miss Allaire and readily acknowledge his exceptional contributions over his long tenure but I won’t consider his departure as something devastating.

Last edited:
Reactions: majordomo

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
I’m in a weird middle ground where I think there should absolutely be a penalty for retaliating after a clean hit, but I also want my team to retaliate regardless of the consequences because no 1 game (in the regular season) is more important than your teammates getting run over.

I think the “no man left behind” camaraderie type of attitude is very very important to have in a locker room and I’d easily sacrifice a 10 minute misconduct to foster that.

Again, this is strictly for the regular season. You have to be much more tactful in the playoffs

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Just for shits and giggles:

Brady Skjei
6'3 210lbs
3 years at Minnesota with a career high of 14 points in 40 games, coming in his sophomore season. Even in college, he was a bit of a rover.
After his junior season, he signed and played in 8 regular season games, scoring no points and 15 playoff games, scoring 3 points.
Skjei played the next season in the AHL, scoring 28 points in 68 games

Victor Mancini
6'4 215lbs
3 years at Nebraska-Omaha with a career high of 10 points in 40 games, coming in his Junior season. In college, he was known as one of the better shut-down, defensive d-men.
After his junior season, he signed and played in 7 regular season games, scoring 3 points and 10 playoff games, where he scored 3 more points.
We will see how Mancini fairs in his first AHL season.

I actually think Skjei is a decent projection for him. Brady's biggest flaw, especially early in his career, was that he was so used to roving in the lower levels that he could get caught out of position too frequently. Mancini doesn't have the same concerns. He plays a rock steady, physical, defensive style. If anything, we're likely to see him more steady defensively with slightly less point projection just because he errs defensively.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
The instigator rule is a tough one for me, one one hand the guys team that throws a clean hit and gets jumped should absolutely get a pp. The issue is a guy like Subban who does greasy stuff all over and won't willingly drop the gloves and forces you to jump him, I don't like the instigator penalty in this case, I just don't know how you distinguish it all. You don't want the league to get to the point where you have guys greasing people to try and draw a instigator penalty. Personally I would rather players police themselves, without goons and staged fights. My favorite fights are the spur of the moment ones, guys like Dubinsky, M.Richards, Lecavalier etc. Unfortunately as long as there is one goon there will be 30.

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
I clean (no penalty) or it's not. If the league and players don't want certain hits in the game then legislate them out. Subban's slew foots and "greasy" plays should be called. That's on the refs. If a guy cheap shots your guy and draws a penalty and you decide to negate the PP to prove a point, that's your choice. But if a guy is not penalized (legally clean) then he should not have to defend himself from getting jumped by someone. I'm ok with random fights because two guys come together and dislike each other at the moment, but most fights are stupid.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Pennsyltucky
So are we all basically swallowing the blackpill at this point in regards to this roster going into the season? It seems unlikely a move is made before game 1.

Also NHL Net radio last week mentioned Rempe was the talk of the town among the rookie showcases, don't know if anyone else heard that from Boomer. Hopefully that means he will be an NHL player this year and not a sideshow freak.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
So are we all basically swallowing the blackpill at this point in regards to this roster going into the season? It seems unlikely a move is made before game 1.

Also NHL Net radio last week mentioned Rempe was the talk of the town among the rookie showcases, don't know if anyone else heard that from Boomer. Hopefully that means he will be an NHL player this year and not a sideshow freak.
He generates clicks because of the fights, so he’s talked about.

I doubt he’s gained that much skill in a single offseason to be a real nhl player

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Teams should be awarded a penalty shot on all clean hits that result in fights from players not involved in that hit. /s maybe...

Feel Shame

May 8, 2024
Ok, good for you.

Why does everyone have to feel the same about the team?
Until the Rangers become a much more physical team, they will max out at the ECF unless Igor goes into Hank mode. That hasn’t happened yet. Also, need to improve the transition on defense, as well as dirty areas and stronger board play. Until then, ECF is the max.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Until the Rangers become a much more physical team, they will max out at the ECF unless Igor goes into Hank mode. That hasn’t happened yet. Also, need to improve the transition on defense, as well as dirty areas and stronger board play. Until then, ECF is the max.
You could make the argument (I'm not necessarily making it, but it's there) that Igor has been better in the playoffs than Hank was. At the very least, he's been as good.

The league was much, much lower scoring when Hank was in goal.

Our goaltending isn't going to get any better, nor should we expect it to.

Feel Shame

May 8, 2024
You could make the argument (I'm not necessarily making it, but it's there) that Igor has been better in the playoffs than Hank was. At the very least, he's been as good.

The league was much, much lower scoring when Hank was in goal.

Our goaltending isn't going to get any better, nor should we expect it to.
That’s the point I was trying to make you articulated it better than I could have.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
shop.profetkeyboards.com
I don't even think physicality is the issue.

They showed in the playoffs that they are a pretty physical team.

They need to do a better job of grinding down their opponents in a series. They need to spend a lot more time in the offensive zone with control of the puck. This isn't the 2011-2012 team that could just block every shot and play defense the entire game.

I don't like the Kreider and Zib line because the two of them together just try to cherry pick rushes. We saw it all of last season. It's fine when teams are playing 3 or 4 different teams a week and you can surprise them... but in a long series... it just doesn't work. We've seen that for a few years now.

Separate them at 5v5 (I think their style works great on the PK).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad