Grub's Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Offer Sheets?!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
Give Lankinen a two year deal with 900k cap hit and couple million deffered to the end. Win win.
Attach a 5th to Poolman and send him to CBJ. They are going to struggle to get to the cap floor. Then sign Lankinen to a 1.1-1.3 deal and call it a day

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Attach a 5th to Poolman and send him to CBJ. They are going to struggle to get to the cap floor. Then sign Lankinen to a 1.1-1.3 deal and call it a day
Funny how some CBJ fans want an exemption cause the Jackets are now like $2 mill under the cap. Very easy to hit the floor. I get needing an exemption if they were just at the floor with Gaudreau and now are nearly $10 mill under after this passing. But, they were the Average contract of a cap floor $65 mil/23 man roster of about $2.8 mill away from the floor.

Easy enough to get.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
Gerry Johansson & Kurt Overhardt seem to maintain it does work but idk
the money you defer is corrected for using some pre-determined interest rate. they apply a prediction of how much, for example, 1 million dollars next year is worth right now (probably 950k assuming interest of 5ish percent). so the cap hit uses the 950k in the calculation of cap hit instead of the 1 million. it's better on bigger, longer contracts... doesn't work as well on short ones with low money.

Sexy Necksy Garland

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
6. ...(I always admired Brendan Morrison for not losing his mind when the NHL’s lawyer called him the mouse to Todd Bertuzzi’s elephant.)...

9. Dylan Ferguson’s PTO in Vancouver ensures the Canucks have enough goalies for the pre-season. There’s still a dance with Kevin Lankinen, but the two sides are not in agreement on compensation.

nice post

Sexy Necksy Garland

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Funny how some CBJ fans want an exemption cause the Jackets are now like $2 mill under the cap. Very easy to hit the floor. I get needing an exemption if they were just at the floor with Gaudreau and now are nearly $10 mill under after this passing. But, they were the Average contract of a cap floor $65 mil/23 man roster of about $2.8 mill away from the floor.

Easy enough to get.
columbus fans here are beyond weird. i think they are just like scarred from cheering for a mostly irrelevant team that nobody else really treats as overly relevant, cause basically irrelevant. i don't blame them for feeling disrespected but i swear they are like militant here to not play nice with anyone over anything

CanucksMJL

Context apologist.
Jul 6, 2009
columbus fans here are beyond weird. i think they are just like scarred from cheering for a mostly irrelevant team that nobody else really treats as overly relevant, cause basically irrelevant. i don't blame them for feeling disrespected but i swear they are like militant here to not play nice with anyone over anything
Vanjack, how do I respond here?

Reactions: andora

David Bruce Banner

Acid Raven Bed Burn
Mar 25, 2008
Waaaaay over there
Columbus is going to need to sign another NHL forward, right?
But I don't feel it's fair to make them sign bad contract(s) just to get to the cap floor, considering the unexpected tragedy. The NHLPA may think otherwise, though.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Columbus is going to need to sign another NHL forward, right?
But I don't feel it's fair to make them sign bad contract(s) just to get to the cap floor, considering the unexpected tragedy. The NHLPA may think otherwise, though.
They could just add an ltir guy like Lehner, Oshie, fast in Carolina is out but not sure if he’d return for a Po run or whether Carolina would prefer to move him and acquire someone else at the tdl. Probably a couple others in ltir for just this season as well.

Would also need PA approval to not reach the floor. And PA would be prefer CBJ spend. Cause if they took fast for a pick then the expectation is that Carolina adds someone.

Last edited:

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
I personally don't understand why Columbus asked for the exmption nor see why the league would grant it. If JG had passed away the day before the season started or during the season that would be different, but it isn't at all difficult for them to reach the floor and they have time to do so.

They've lost a quality player and nothing will fix that, but in terms of the cap they aren't that bad off. They can acquire an injured player with one year left on his deal, get an asset for taking on that player's contract and still have more cap space than they're likely to spend before next summer anyway.

For example, capwages presently has them at 64.9 mm with 25 players, so they'll need to assign two to the minors. They have quite a few on the roster at under a million per, so let's say they assign two players with a combined$1.6 mm in cap hit, then they'd need about $1.7 million to reach the floor. If they were to acquire Poolman and say a 3rd from the Canucks and sent a 7th round pick back, then they'd reach the cap with $800K to spare, it would be only for a year, all it would cost is Poolman's 2024-25 salary and they'd still have more cap space then they would dream of using to make changes to their team. At the end of the season they'd be rid of Poolman's deal.

I suppose it doesn't affect the total amount the players will receive-they get a fixed percentage of hockey related revenue either way. I don't see any reason for the league to grant the exemption, but could see them doing it anyway.

Last edited:

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

Young Players Making the Team:
-roster comes down to Tocchet's decision whoever feels comfortable giving a chance to is who will make the team

Lekkerimaki:
-playing 82 games, every second day, back-to-backs, and coming over to North America is a big transition
-prepared himself really well in the off-season
-thinks he'll be better with more structure and higher-skilled players

Raty:
-wants him to continue playing centre
-easier to move to the wing than it is to move to centre

Defencemen Playing on their Off Side:
-big benefit to have guys that can play both sides

Future of the Young Stars Tournament:
-hopes to get an extension in place for the tournament in Penticton

Status of Silovs and Demko (question asked before Ferguson PTO announced):
-will know more about Demko in the next couple of days
-need to have six goalies for three groups in camp
-might bring in a local guy (Ferguson)

Boeser Extension:
-Boeser looks like he's going to be cleared to attend training camp
-expectations are higher
-Allvin wants to see consistency and the ability to raise the bar
-feels he has a good relationship with Boeser and his agent
-has told Boeser he could have scored 50 goals but felt he took his foot off the gas after scoring 30

LTIR:
-have different scenarios in order to not use LTIR
-would prefer to be totally out of LTIR but that's not going to be the case
-have some internal discussion about options and how to hopefully accrue cap space

Areas of Improvement Through UFA:
-Tocchet and Allvin felt they needed more speed on the wings
-once you know you can't re-signed a UFA, you need to start looking at how to structure your team and bring in someone else
-mentions how much DeBrusk wanted to play out West and play for the Canucks

Improving on Last Season:
-different expectations since day one of training camp
-not going to waste any time
-got respect back last season and now teams will be ready for them
-coaches must send the right message to players on day one

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005

Young Players Making the Team:
-roster comes down to Tocchet's decision whoever feels comfortable giving a chance to is who will make the team

Lekkerimaki:
-playing 82 games, every second day, back-to-backs, and coming over to North America is a big transition
-prepared himself really well in the off-season
-thinks he'll be better with more structure and higher-skilled players

Raty:
-wants him to continue playing centre
-easier to move to the wing than it is to move to centre

Defencemen Playing on their Off Side:
-big benefit to have guys that can play both sides

Future of the Young Stars Tournament:
-hopes to get an extension in place for the tournament in Penticton

Status of Silovs and Demko (question asked before Ferguson PTO announced):
-will know more about Demko in the next couple of days
-need to have six goalies for three groups in camp
-might bring in a local guy (Ferguson)

Boeser Extension:
-Boeser looks like he's going to be cleared to attend training camp
-expectations are higher
-Allvin wants to see consistency and the ability to raise the bar
-feels he has a good relationship with Boeser and his agent
-has told Boeser he could have scored 50 goals but felt he took his foot off the gas after scoring 30

LTIR:
-have different scenarios in order to not use LTIR
-would prefer to be totally out of LTIR but that's not going to be the case
-have some internal discussion about options and how to hopefully accrue cap space

Areas of Improvement Through UFA:
-Tocchet and Allvin felt they needed more speed on the wings
-once you know you can't re-signed a UFA, you need to start looking at how to structure your team and bring in someone else
-mentions how much DeBrusk wanted to play out West and play for the Canucks

Improving on Last Season:
-different expectations since day one of training camp
-not going to waste any time
-got respect back last season and now teams will be ready for them
-coaches must send the right message to players on day one

That comment about Boeser is somewhat startling. It's a pretty harsh thing to say to an NHL player, that he stopped trying as hard because he'd reached a statistical marker. And then to make the comment public ...

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
That comment about Boeser is somewhat startling. It's a pretty harsh thing to say to an NHL player, that he stopped trying as hard because he'd reached a statistical marker. And then to make the comment public ...
I disagree with Allvin there. It wasn’t like Boeser was just like “yeah I got 30 I’m done scoring goals”. He had 3 goals taken back from him by Miller screwing up. I can literally recall him hitting 4-5 posts/crossbars ( I’m sure he hit a ton more) that could’ve easily brought him to 50. And he led the charge offensively in the playoffs with 7 goals.

Kind of a stupid nothingburger statement.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I suppose it doesn't affect the total amount the players will receive-they get a fixed percentage of hockey related revenue either way. I don't see any reason for the league to grant the exemption, but could see them doing it anyway.
Most clubs that have an LTIR player, the team (LV, Wash) would have accounted for that and spent to replace the player. Still possible for a club to make a move after sending out an LTIR guy to add someone. PA wants to keep that option open, which is why they are unlikely to ok a waiver given how close cbj is to the floor and can easily get there.

Different if there were just at the floor with JG. And needed $10 mill. Could still do it since they also have like 42 contracts by taking on LTIR like a Backstrom at $9 mill

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad