Roster Building Thread - Part XII(Training Camp/Preseason)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I think Torts just stifled offense when he was here.

That 6 goalie game wasn't great for young d-men looking to improve offensively.
I didn't think he was that good at defense either, or at the very least, the period in which he was is smaller than people remember. He was never good after the eye and that was like a long ass time ago.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Marc Staal was arguably as good a shutdown defensemen as there was in the NHL before his brother concussed him. It took a very long time for him to get over that concussion. And then he played for a year of so and Voracek deflected a puck that caved in half of his face and he lost some eyesight. Never quite back to where he was before the concussion but getting better and then after the deflected shot he was never the same. Basically two massive head injuries and that would screw up almost anyone's career.

Because of that his game deteriorated so much and with the salary he carried he became an albatross and he had to go though the Rangers hung on to him way too long.

People talk about how steady McDonagh's defense is but Staal's defensive play was pretty much in the same ballpark before those injuries. McDonagh had better offense as a Ranger. That was where the real difference between the two of them was.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
If he can turn the defensive prospects into defensive dman that can defend I don't see an issue with this. He'd be good for Mancini and Emery. Rangers need to get more young depth on young defense.
defensive dman that can defend?

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Happy for staal. The eye injury really affected his game.
There were times he would rush end to end ( although not a lot) and also jump into the offense.
After the injury, that never happened again.
His body position and stick work made him a solid D for a long time against the best in the business for years…… now next years line up.

I fully expect to see Lavi give Kakko another go around for the first 10-15 games with Kreider and Mika.
Maybe he’s hoping 90 pt Mika returns instead of 70pt Mika. Only problem with that is Zibby has notoriously been a slow starter, even when he puts up good #s……
I’m afraid that will put the nail in Kakko s coffin on the offensive side of the puck for good…..

I would honestly like to see some combo of
Kreider/cuylle-Zibby-Kreider/cuylle

I like zibby between these 2…. Cuylle does everything well that the other 2 don’t…..
Even if Othmann/Berard have a great camp, penciling them in top 6 all season long and expecting them not to run out of steam isn’t realistic.
Smith probably walks away with the spot, but I’d rather see more competition for it.

Maybe one of the kids can be the missing link with Zibby/kreids at least for a stretch.

Panarin-Tro-Laf stays as is unless they run stale in all likelihood.

I’d like
Berard/Othmann-Chytil-Kakko as 3rd line, but again we will prob see
Cuylle-Chytil-Kakko.

Either way I like the mix of guys for that 3rd line. Think it could be dangerous if chytil stays healthy.

4th line is a bit more murky.
With carrick signing
It puts the nail in the coffin for Edstrom at center. Which I don’t like, but they obviously value a vet there. Is Rempe going to be an everyday player???
Vesey is def in the mix full time…
Going to be interesting to see what happens here….
D is pretty much going to be

Lindy-Fox
Miller-Schneider
Jones-Trouba

Unless a deal comes out of no where…..
I’m still as pissed as most of you that Trouba killed pretty much any deal with his won’t accept trade/will not report for a year fiasco.

It’s going to be a good team.

I expect a decline from Panarin/Tro in points, maybe kreids as well, but an uptick from Zibby/cuylle/laf/Kakko/chytil

On D, hopefully Lindgren returns to form and Trouba doesn’t decline more.
Fox and shesty are still the engine that makes this team go.

smith is a wildcard…. If he has a good year, that’s huge for this team…..

Prob not winning the pres trophy, but def finishing in the top tier of the east imo.

Reactions: egelband

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Do you think someone like JVR cares about securing a league minimum salary when he’s made over 65M in his career? If he wants to play it’s because he wants to win and he wants to stay in the league and earn future contracts - none of which will happen if he goes on cruise control.
That depends. Does he handle his finances like Evander Kane? If you can get money, most people will naturally take the larger number. In his case league minimum > $0. Would he like to win a cup? Sure. Players at his age will coast all season and then go full effort in the playoffs, but most likely get injured in the regular season and arrive post-season at 50% capability. JVR is not a known playoff performer so maybe he could help. I'm just not bringing him on the PTO. Hypothetically, sign him in November in the event we have a roster injury and our youngsters don't make the grade in a callup.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Staal, Glass and Ortmeyer are leading our prospects to that cup... Just let that sink in for a moment.

(I'm just poking fun)
Would love to have had Staal and Richards / Nash. I would have loved Cally, but he seems more than happy on TNT.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a guy like Barrie offered a PTO. That would actually make sense on some level. Unlike JVR.

Hah, never mind, Flames beat the Rangers to it.
Definitely would have taken a chance on him.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Staal was zero frills which caused some to underrate him (Devils fans called him a #6 for years) and some to overrate him (He was never a top pairing defenseman on a good roster)

Like Rozsival he as a pretty good 2nd pairing guy in his prime forced into a duty above his station, like so many other players we had from 2005-2009.

Reactions: NYR Viper

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016

I'm sure if Ovechkin was asked about going up against McD, Staal, Girardi and Hank there would be some very high praise all around. Those guys fit Torts system well plus the game was different from what it is now. There was a handful of factors at play when things went downhill... but all very good when they were in their prime

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
Staal was one of those guys that made defending look easy. It was incredible to see in his prime. I remember his rookie training camp, just thinking, man this guy is smooth and steady. He was also just ridiculously consistent. Phenomenal hockey player in his day. You take for granted having a guy of his size and skating ability who can shut absolutely anyone down.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
My hot take since I saw a few, Rempe starts the season in Hartford to get more ice time and work on his play.

Staal was one of those guys that made defending look easy. It was incredible to see in his prime. I remember his rookie training camp, just thinking, man this guy is smooth and steady. He was also just ridiculously consistent. Phenomenal hockey player in his day. You take for granted having a guy of his size and skating ability who can shut absolutely anyone down.
The eye injury ruined him, he was constantly holding the puck along the wall after that because imo he couldn't see well enough to make a quick pass outlet

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Shows how big a talent Staal is that he could still play in the NHL with - as I understand it, at least - basically one good eye.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019

He threw some hits, could defend and was underrated in his offensive game,, early in his career but when challenged sadly another bigger dman that couldn't fight out of a paper bag

Back to when he was good

Last edited:

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

I'm sure if Ovechkin was asked about going up against McD, Staal, Girardi and Hank there would be some very high praise all around. Those guys fit Torts system well plus the game was different from what it is now. There was a handful of factors at play when things went downhill... but all very good when they were in their prime

I think Ovie once said that Girardi was the toughest challenge as far as a defensemen to play against. I think he actually lined up back then more against Dan with either Staal or McDonagh on the other side. Staal and Malkin had some big wars that went back to the WJC's and just continued on and on and on in the NHL. The Caps and the Rangers in the Tortorella years seemed to go up against each other in the playoffs every year and those were low scoring events....numerous OT's and double and triple OT's occasionally. Henrik in net and Girardi, McDonagh and Staal just racking up unreal minutes in some games + blocked shots and hits. The thing with those 3 were their resilience. Stralman was another but he didn't quite have the same kind of physicality or stamina. He was slicker moving the puck than Girardi or Staal though. Against guys like Ovechkin and Malkin in their prime though to be effective you had to be able to play them hard all the time. Both of them were super strong bulls and one big mistake and the game could be lost.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad