Roster Building Thread - Part XII (Season starts 10/9 @ 7:30 pm)

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
I must have missed the Crosby-led Penguins and the Bergeron-led Bruins have a better campaign than us, last season. Do you know where I can find that footage? After all, it’s a slam dunk to find money ball players growing on trees who win you championships. It’s easy-peasy.

Just sign up some more laser-focused Roslovics and Wennbergs and we’re all set.
You can find footage of the crosby led penguins and bergeron led bruins winning multiple cups with goalies not as good as shesty. Also much smaller cap hit percentages as a goalie too.

Same goes for Mackinnon, ovechkin, kane.

McSauer

Defense Wins Games
Feb 18, 2004
Jersey City, NJ
EXACTLY why I wish we had drafted Wallstedt in '21 instead of Othmann. We could have a stud goalie ready to step in as soon as this season, while phasing out Igor/making them a tandem this year.

Instead, we're dealing with this BS contract situation and mid-level forward prospect not ready to make the jump this year. Another awful case of Rangers drafting...

Jack Hanson

Oct 5, 2023
So Shesterkin has rejected 88mm 8 yr contract. Thoughts on if hes really worth more than this? No doubt hes good but 8 yr contracts as we've learned are the work of the devil. Call me cynical but I'd let him walk. Hes been good but could have been better esp last yr in playoffs. Once you give someone an 8 yr 11mm per yr contract their whole motivation changes. Lets say you give him 12 a yr for 8 yrs and 4 yrs from now hes meh. Then wadya gonna do? Thats how we got in this situ w trouba, mika, bread, esp trouba. Look at these young guys weve got coming up payin them bargain rates and theyre awesome. 12 mils for Igor? I dont think so.

Reactions: Daves a mess

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
EXACTLY why I wish we had drafted Wallstedt in '21 instead of Othmann. We could have a stud goalie ready to step in as soon as this season, while phasing out Igor/making them a tandem this year.

Instead, we're dealing with this BS contract situation and mid-level forward prospect not ready to make the jump this year. Another awful case of Rangers drafting...
Garand should be a decent goalie when he's complete, unfortunately he isn't quite ready.

Takeahnase

Jun 29, 2024
NLV
You can find footage of the crosby led penguins and bergeron led bruins winning multiple cups with goalies not as good as shesty. Also much smaller cap hit percentages as a goalie too.

Same goes for Mackinnon, ovechkin, kane.
I agree you should keep your best players in their prime years all of these except ancient Kane are all one team players. Shesty is our best player in his prime.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
If Shesty doesn’t sign then we should consider a retool and gauge the value of some others like Krieder, Panarin, etc. I guess it all depends how this season goes on the timing.
And then there’s takes like this.

Even if we move Shesty we’re a playoff team.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Some have reasonable takes like yourself. There are posters, however, who are telling him to f*** off and that he doesn’t care about winning a Cup…based on a tweet from Kevin Weekes with a SpongeBob background.

I would classify those as…not reasonable.
some people are taking it out on Igor.

The ire should be directed at mgmt who don't know how to build 21st century winner

Reactions: Takeahnase

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
And then there’s takes like this.

Even if we move Shesty we’re a playoff team.
He is right we should consider a retool.

You are probably right too. We are still a playoff team. However panarin, kreider, zib and trocheck are all on the wrong side of 30 and panarin and kreider contracts are up quickly.

We have no replacements for them really.

So yes we might be a playoff team team, but for how much longer. It would be wise to get ahead of the inevitable decline and grt as many assets as possible.

With our young d core we could conceivably be stronger before fox hits 30.

Its not the worst idea. In fact it probably is the smartest. It is also the boldest and one of the riskiest

Reactions: Ail

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
If Shesty doesn’t sign then we should consider a retool and gauge the value of some others like Krieder, Panarin, etc. I guess it all depends how this season goes on the timing.
Even if he does sign, there is going to be some kind of retool -- Drury is going to do his best to move at least one and/or all of Kreider, Panny, Zib, Lindgren and Trouba.

Jack Hanson

Oct 5, 2023
Igor let in soft goals during the playoffs. Hes not the best goalie in the league, hes a contender but far from bullet proof. 11 mil/yr is more than his fair value. Look how far the Oilers got w a goalie that wasnt even that good. This might be a blessing in disguise def dont up the offer. The Rangers need cap space and this will hand cuff the team (if they go higher).

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
He is right we should consider a retool.

You are probably right too. We are still a playoff team. However panarin, kreider, zib and trocheck are all on the wrong side of 30 and panarin and kreider contracts are up quickly.

We have no replacements for them really.

So yes we might be a playoff team team, but for how much longer. It would be wise to get ahead of the inevitable decline and grt as many assets as possible.

With our young d core we could conceivably be stronger before fox hits 30.

Its not the worst idea. In fact it probably is the smartest. It is also the boldest and one of the riskiest
So panarins replacement is Laf.
Kreider is either Perrault or Othmann depending if he can take the next step. Trocheck is the hard one but chytil potentially.
Mika has none mostly because we’re not really sure what he is right now, but yeah. We need more center prospects.

Takeahnase

Jun 29, 2024
NLV
How many of those centers are there? I guess only those teams can win and everyone else should go home?
Crosby, Ovi, Kane, MacKinnon types are easy to find. You just take your slightly used goalie to the hockey store and exchange him for a generational player.

It’s as the old saying goes, a bird in the hand is worth a damaged guitar in the pawn shop. Or something like that.

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
The other issue I have is you’re giving the guy almost 12% of your cap when it’s a given that he’s not playing in ~25% of your team’s games.

It’s moot because they’re paying him, but it irks me nonetheless.

Letting Igor walk is probably a good thing because it’ll expedite Laviolette getting canned before he burns this group out too

Reactions: Ruggs225

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
So panarins replacement is Laf.
Kreider is either Perrault or Othmann depending if he can take the next step. Trocheck is the hard one but chytil potentially.
Mika has none mostly because we’re not really sure what he is right now, but yeah. We need more center prospects.
Laf is putting up 120? I am lafs biggest fan, but that is quite optimistic.

Kreider i agree can be completely replaced. He at this point is a one trick pony. A great trick at that, but his 5v5 play leaves alot to be desired.

The question is how do u find the 1c? This is the hardest thing to find.

Its why i say if u let shesty walk, also trade panarin, kreider, trouba and zib(if possible). Probably will end up with at least one top 10 pick for a year or two and hopefully it will be the center(s) we need.

The only person i keep is trocheck. I keep him bc he is the type of attitude i want around young kids.

By then fox, schneider and hopefully miller and emery will all solidify the top 4.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad