Player Discussion Joel Edmundson

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
1000018632.png

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I agree.. He's not signing anywhere to be a 7th d. He's going to get as much money and term as he can.

He was decent, watching him jump in the rush in game 4 only to have the puck not leave the zone and JVR score... that hurt,

He did have some great corner battles, some PK work. So it's not like he sucked - all depend on money, term and role.
Of course. Virtually any blueliner who can play in every game for a playoff team seems incredibly likely to find a top six role somewhere in the NHL during the following season. I just preferred how Lyubushkin fit in overall and think there has to be some sort of change to that group of six which finished off the season (playoffs).

Reactions: seventieslord

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I would bring him back for sure.

McCabe - Benoit
Edmundson - Lilly

At the very least we know this is an ok bottom 4 on D. All should be affordable. Means maybe we can add one big money dman up front
Lilly has to go, no time for cowards on the D anymore…….

Reactions: CincoHolio

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Should be an easy offseason for Tre then. Bring everyone back minus Sammy.

"trust me bro"... always

You should tell all the cup winning teams to stop using fancy stats.
You don't have to trust me. Brad knows what he's doing. We all know the type of player we'll be pursuing from now on.

You and the rest of the Dubas club had your chance. You had half a decade and blew it. You couldn't have done much worse to be honest.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Two year term max, would love to retain. Need more of this profile on the back end.

I’ve seen some bruins fans clamouring to sign this guy to stick next to Peeke.
Guys in that position are going to want term, if he’d accept a two year contract at a reasonable cap hit I’d consider resigning him……..

You don't have to trust me. Brad knows what he's doing. We all know the type of player we'll be pursuing from now on.

You and the rest of the Dubas club had your chance. You had half a decade and blew it. You couldn't have done much worse to be honest.
Exactly……..

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

Why does Brad know what he is doing? Genuinely curious about why you think that.

Is it his long history of failure and ruining a franchise?

For as much as people hate Dubas, if I agree with everything you say about him, Treliving is him but older.

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
Should be an easy offseason for Tre then. Bring everyone back minus Sammy.

"trust me bro"... always

You should tell all the cup winning teams to stop using fancy stats.
Over the next two years would be nice to see Sammy liljegren Tavares Brodie Liljegren Marner and potentially Rielly all pack their bags. Just need a re tool and find some good 2-3 ufas potentially; that's not all that impractical which is why I'm not pessimistic going forward rn

Last edited:
Reactions: coupe93

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002

And lets not forget, no picks next year and they would have traded this years too for a plumber. If you can re sign Edmundson, you do so.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021

I am glad we moved on from Dubas. It was absolutely time for a change and I guess Shanny gets credit for that. I am happy we have a new coach and captain too.

The "couldn't have done much worse" statement is probably just a dramatic exaggeration but it is very far from the truth.

We still have a high end offense that was top two in the league in goals last year.

We have not had to jettison key players this offseason to get under the cap.

We have prospects pushing for roles.

We have been one of the best teams in the NHL the past five years.

Yes, no playoff success but the same is true for many many teams that can't say the same points above. Perfect? No. Very good? Probably not...but could have been much worse.

When we drafted Matty we were bottoming out with Buffalo, Edmonton, Columbus, Winnipeg and I would say most of those teams have done a much worse job than us (Dubas).

Last edited:
Reactions: mclaren55

HamiltonNHL

Resigning Marner == Running it back
Jan 4, 2012
When we drafted Matty we were bottoming out with Buffalo, Edmonton, Columbus, Winnipeg and I would say most of those teams have done a much worse job than us (Dubas
Dubas got lucky (Matthews)
EDM got lucky in the draft too.

Draft luck is a huge factor.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Dubas got lucky (Matthews)
EDM got lucky in the draft too.

Draft luck is a huge factor.

Ok, well then everything that didn't work out for the Leafs under Dubas was bad luck I suppose.

Like when he locked in the core four thinking the cost certainty would be an asset a couple of years into those deals and then a global pandemic hit bringing an unprecedented flat cap for three or four years...or when he hung on to a first round pick and drafted a skilled forward in the first round and that kid developed brain cancer...or when they finally won a division and went up on a series and Tavares got kicked in the head.

Again, I am not a Dubas apologist and I am glad we moved on. This team and organization is in much better shape than many give it credit for and maybe that is because many want to hate on Dubas. If we are going to bring "luck" into the discussion, then we should probably allow for bad luck too, no?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Ok, well then everything that didn't work out for the Leafs under Dubas was bad luck I suppose.

Like when he locked in the core four thinking the cost certainty would be an asset a couple of years into those deals and then a global pandemic hit bringing an unprecedented flat cap for three or four years...or when he hung on to a first round pick and drafted a skilled forward in the first round and that kid developed brain cancer...or when they finally won a division and went up on a series and Tavares got kicked in the head.

Again, I am not a Dubas apologist and I am glad we moved on. This team and organization is in much better shape than many give it credit for and maybe that is because many want to hate on Dubas. If we are going to bring "luck" into the discussion, then we should probably allow for bad luck too, no?

Dubas or Treliving ... let us count the Cups.

Anyway, new coach is what I think was most needed.

The annual playoffs failure is on everyone.

Reactions: Roo and BallardEra

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Dubas or Treliving ... let us count the Cups.

Anyway, new coach is what I think was most needed.

The annual playoffs failure is on everyone.

Are you of the opinion that if you haven't won a cup before you will never win won?

Steve Yzerman has zero cups and he gets held as the gold standard (perhaps not by you) as a winning GM, though maybe the Wings have tarnished this a bit for him.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Are you of the opinion that if you haven't won a cup before you will never win won?

Steve Yzerman has zero cups and he gets held as the gold standard (perhaps not by you) as a winning GM, though maybe the Wings have tarnished this a bit for him.

Do you remember Burke's draft where he said he purposely didn't draft Europeans?
If Yzerman had that stance would the Lightning have won a single Cup?
How much of Yzerman's reputation is built on that one selection? Kucherov

My guess 90+% of all GM's who win their 1st. Cup had previously not won a Cup.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Do you remember Burke's draft where he said he purposely didn't draft Europeans?

I can't tell if serious or not. The top part seems genuine, the bottom part is either ridiculous or very dry humour.

As for the top part, are you calling Yzerman a winner (GM)?

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009

Ever since then Yzerman is trying to find the next Kuch. How many Europeans if not Swedish players has he drafted so far?

I am fully shocked when I found out, so did Yzerman, that Nate Danielson is from Edmonton Alberta, not Guthenburg, Sweden

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad