Roster Building Thread - Part XII (Season starts 10/9 @ 7:30 pm)

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I'm curious as to how they came up with this ranking. It's not alphabetical.

I'm guessing this is just the order (or inverse order) that the teams were plugged into the array within the code the last time we changed up divisions, and when they're all pulled at the same time with no tie breaks separating them, they just get spit out like this.

Reactions: DialUp

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I can't agree with this enough. Signing Panarin and trading/signing Trouba were dumb at the time; they weren't ready to go all in. The Trouba contract looks even worse now. The people running this organization have attention spans of a gnat. Whatever their plan/strategy is/was, if they had one, was and is idiotic
Or, most likely, it was owner driven. I think the Montreal rebuild is going pretty decently with Gorton at the reins. Taking a shot with Laine is in no way comparable to the commitment on Panarin and Trouba btw, before someone points that out.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Or, most likely, it was owner driven. I think the Montreal rebuild is going pretty decently with Gorton at the reins. Taking a shot with Laine is in no way comparable to the commitment on Panarin and Trouba btw, before someone points that out.

Montreal has had no cap to spend since he got there.

The owner driven stuff is nonsense. This is what Gorton (with full backing from JD) wanted.

Reactions: Machinehead

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Dolan is an asshole for the same reason they're all assholes but we can't keep leaning on that.

He left Leon Rose alone and let him build an empire. If the Knicks can do a well-executed rebuild, he'll let us do it too.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
We already had the Kakko pick when Gorton made all his big moves in 2019. He won one lottery and thought he was taking a shortcut.

He massively overvalued Kakko, and the picks he made leading up to Kakko, which were mostly ass. It ruined our rebuild.

We were already too good to be bottom dwellers but not good enough to win by the following year. He hit the emergency break on a rebuild inside 12 months. It was over.

We deserved to miss out on Lafreniere and got extremely lucky.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Edmonton is one of the dumbest franchises ever, they just let Lavoie go on waivers to Vegas. Idiots, I would have loved to have made a deal for him here, he needs a change of scenery. Meanwhile we're worried bout putting Ahl superstar Brodzinski on waivers lol

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
We got Trouba first, then Fox.
We had zero rhd and we needed someone to eat the tough minutes.
The Trouba contract is peanuts if there isn’t a pandemic.
The Panarin contract isn’t the squeeze it is if there isn’t a pandemic.

The rangers made logical mover. Panarin didn’t suddenly push us into a middling playoff team ruining the rebuild.
The rangers were targeting guys like zegras and lundell.

We don’t miss on one of Andersson, vk. We have a cup.
Trouba contract is bad even if the Cap is 110 million.

We paid him that money thinking he could be a #1 or a at least a #2

He was ehhhh okay the first year but now he’s just terrible and being paid nearly as much as Fox

Reactions: Ruggs225

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Because they see it for one game, typically, then prepare for the next team. When you see it for a few nights in a row, with a week to concentrate on it with no other power plays to worry about facing, they actually have a real opportunity to adjust.
Also, if I was just that Fox was hurt, why was PP1 on an absolute tear, WITH him hurt, prior to us going 2 for 27 in the last 10 games? There’s more than one factor here. Fox being hurt, PP1 just plain going cold, teams being better the deeper you go AND teams having time to adjust to an unchanging configuration and predictable execution ARE ALL FACTORS.

You don't believe that every NHL team has tons of video of every other team?

You make it sound like a team comes into town and is shocked at the tendencies of their opponent. That's a comical take.

Reactions: Ruggs225

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I predict Mancini will perform like one of our best 4 defenseman, in however many games he gets into. Long term i am actually very high on the defense. Fox, Miller, Schneider all have tons of experience for young players. There are times of frustration but i expect them to keep improving. Jones is making a believer out of me. We are dying for that kind of offense on the backend. The sooner Lindgren and Trouba gone from this team, the better. They jam everything up. The team needs a veteran top 4 guy who doesnt suck.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Trouba contract is bad even if the Cap is 110 million.

We paid him that money thinking he could be a #1 or a at least a #2

He was ehhhh okay the first year but now he’s just terrible and being paid nearly as much as Fox

We paid him that money with the intention the cap would go up, it didn't, it made it much worse. I don't believe they thought he would be a #1 on a cup team and to be honest he was fine the first few years of his deal, he seems to have lost a step and maybe the C put undue pressure on him, if he was making 4 mill nobody would care, which is where he should have been as a percentage by now. I honestly have no problem with how they did it, it got us here, it's unfortunate that covid killed the cap increase.

I predict Mancini will perform like one of our best 4 defenseman, in however many games he gets into. Long term i am actually very high on the defense. Fox, Miller, Schneider all have tons of experience for young players. There are times of frustration but i expect them to keep improving. Jones is making a believer out of me. We are dying for that kind of offense on the backend. The sooner Lindgren and Trouba gone from this team, the better. They jam everything up. The team needs a veteran top 4 guy who doesnt suck.
I think lindgren as a 3rd pair d, getting him away from star matchups would benefit everyone. The best scenario is that Jones and someone else on the left side make him expendable. Mancini isn't going to do that from the right side, and a right d playing the left side is only a temporary solution.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
We will never know because the dollars weren’t there but you can be pretty sure JG would have tried to expedite things had he had the funds for it.
I'm not missing Gorton one bit, but the gamble on Laine and signing of Panarin/Trouba really have nothing in common TBH. Montreal kids are in a better position already, and ahead in the pecking order. They are doing the rebuild properly still, Laine deal isn't really hurting them in that regard.

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
We paid him that money with the intention the cap would go up, it didn't, it made it much worse. I don't believe they thought he would be a #1 on a cup team and to be honest he was fine the first few years of his deal, he seems to have lost a step and maybe the C put undue pressure on him, if he was making 4 mill nobody would care, which is where he should have been as a percentage by now. I honestly have no problem with how they did it, it got us here, it's unfortunate that covid killed the cap increase.
He was coming off a 50pt season, was 25 years old. He also had 18 PP pts.

They thought he was going to be a #1 or at least a #2.

His contract was the 5th highest for dmen at the time. Higher than Hedman even. Its still 17th among all dmen currently. That is #1 defensemen money.

You dont make a player the 5th highest at his position if u dont think he will be one of the best at his position.

There is no other way to slice it. They thought he was a#1. Paid him like a #1. And were wrong. Very very wrong.

Last edited:

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Maybe, but doesn't mean you surrender
He wants accommodation, fine, but so do we.
Accommodation - NMC which turns into a Limited NTC with 15 teams starting in year 4 or 5 of his contract. Similar to what Kreider, Trouba, etc. That's likely what we're going to see with Shesty.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad