Roster Building Thread - Part XII (Season starts 10/9 @ 7:30 pm)

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I feel Jones has earned a longer term deal being the pro he is and I doubt he takes a short deal. After a full season he should be able to translate that into a 3 or 4 year deal imo.

No he hasn't. Jones has 69 NHL regular season games. 0 playoffs. He has 17 career points--only 1 power play assist. Right now he prorates as a 20 point a year defenseman and apart from making the team as a 7th D he really hasn't done squat yet. To even get what Schneider got he's going to have to change that and have a really really good year.

......and you don't get anything extra for being a good guy who doesn't make himself a nuisance because he hasn't been in the lineup that often. And as an RFA he doesn't have that much leverage.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
How can you say he was not developed properly? He’s had three full years in the A and he has not distinguished himself.

Some guys never play well enough to make the jump. His skating is fine. His results are not.

You just can’t blame these kind of results on poor player development. It’s not a matter of placing blame. Sometimes it just doesn’t happen.
If you got passed over by lesser guys like Mackey, repeatedly, you might not feel any legit hope of having a chance and be broken.
He's needed a full sink or swim 3-5 games w/Rs, where he gets judged overall.
While some of it is mental in terms of reaction time to plays/focus, it is difficult to train for that exclusively via preparation. In this instance there is no substitute for experience

And again, eye test
it was extremely limited, I concede, but he looked good w/Mancini, like they both had chemistry
Stupid to not at least experiment w/that

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Dollars are one thing.
Term is another.

If Drury gives him a NTC/NMC on top of dollars and term then he should be locked in a port-a-potty, set on fire, and pushed over a cliff.

With Igors injury history it would be fiduciarily negligent to do so.
What injury history?

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I hope Edstrom gets a nice run here and stays in the lineup. Let Carrick and Brodz rotate at C and keep the giant wingers together.
Vesey when healthy? IMO this is going to be 5 man rotation/competition that should make the team better and less prone to being affected by injuries. The weaker depth is in top-9 (which is kind of natural by definition) because Othman (and Berard) still seems further away than what we were hoping for from him in camp but both Brodzinski and Vesey could be plugged in higher roles.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
How can you say he was not developed properly? He’s had three full years in the A and he has not distinguished himself.

Some guys never play well enough to make the jump. His skating is fine. His results are not.

You just can’t blame these kind of results on poor player development. It’s not a matter of placing blame. Sometimes it just doesn’t happen.
Yup. While at the same time Hartford organization developed Schneider and Jones into NHLers on D and Cuylle, Rempe and Edstrom at forward. I guess poor Robertson that the organization decided not to develop him.

Last edited:

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Of the players I saw going on waivers if there were one I would pick up it wouldn't be Brannstrom.....it would be Bolduc from the Isles. We don't have cap space for someone like Justin Holl who would be another guy I would think about. It's about whether a guy would fit or not and Holl's contract says no. Bolduc is 23---left shot, size, has a safe game for a defenseman. The Isles are good at developing players to be solid and difficult to play against in their defensive zone. Also like Robertson he's a former second rounder. He's developed his game further than Matthew has though. The issue with bringing in Bolduc though is it probably means Mancini starts the year in Hartford.

As far as Robertson the jury's still out. The only things he's proven so far is he can hang in the AHL. The Rangers aren't going to waive Carrick. They might get to that point with Brodzinski when Vesey is ready to return. But back to Robertson he's never really stuck out in a really positive way with the Pack. It's nonsense that the Rangers are favoring guys like Mackey over him and there's a point where draft capital from what round you were drafted no longer matters at all. You've either made the hoped for strides or you haven't. That happens about a year or two after a player turns pro.

Daves a mess

Jan 8, 2014
Career numbers

Stroking 8 x 8.25. 2.53 .919
Swayman 8 x 8.5 2.34 .919
Shesterkin 2.42 .921
Hellebucyk 7 x 8.5 2.63 .917
Vasilevski 8 x 9.5. 2.56. .917

I love Igor, but if he isn’t signed by the TDL for 10 or under he should be dealt.
Exactly. Anything over 10 and he is holding this franchise at gunpoint.

If Igors camp thinks he can get 12.5 as a UFA, then happy for any team that signs him.

As long at it isnt the NY Rangers.

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada
In case anyone missed it, the Up In The Blue Seats podcast with Mollie Walker, Larry Brooks and Brian Boyle has returned (a nice gesture for them to dedicate their podcast season to the Gaudreau family):

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Career numbers

Stroking 8 x 8.25. 2.53 .919
Swayman 8 x 8.5 2.34 .919
Shesterkin 2.42 .921
Hellebucyk 7 x 8.5 2.63 .917
Vasilevski 8 x 9.5. 2.56. .917

I love Igor, but if he isn’t signed by the TDL for 10 or under he should be dealt.
So we are just going to throw anyway any hope of the Cup?

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
If you got passed over by lesser guys like Mackey, repeatedly, you might not feel any legit hope of having a chance and be broken.
He's needed a full sink or swim 3-5 games w/Rs, where he gets judged overall.
While some of it is mental in terms of reaction time to plays/focus, it is difficult to train for that exclusively via preparation. In this instance there is no substitute for experience

And again, eye test
it was extremely limited, I concede, but he looked good w/Mancini, like they both had chemistry
Stupid to not at least experiment w/that
I'm the first one pulling for Robertson, but I agree that he just has not shown enough to be on the NHL roster. I don't think it's a case of him not being trained well either. I think one of the main reasons he was "passed over" was due to his knack for getting injured at the worst possible moment. Injuries will delay any player's development.

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
Exactly. Anything over 10 and he is holding this franchise at gunpoint.

If Igors camp thinks he can get 12.5 as a UFA, then happy for any team that signs him.

As long at it isnt the NY Rangers.
Shesty's camp has made it known from the beginning that he wants to be the highest paid goalie. The highest salary right now is Carey Price at $10.5M, so I think he'd accept a contract between $11M-$12M....anything else, it's "Sayonara Baby"!!!!

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I always estimated Igor would get 100 million over 8. These figures you guys are quoting seem very optimistic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad