Roster Building Thread - Part XII (Season starts 10/9 @ 7:30 pm)

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Agreed and I would trade Othmann. I just don’t see it and would trade him while you can get value. Seems like best case he’s an offensive somewhat physical middle 6 winger. Can always sign those guys as free agents and there are guys like Berard and Sykora in the system who project as similar players who are better defensively. Get a late 1st like they did for Nils Lundkvist or a 2nd if not.

Still holding out hope for Kakko. Floor is a 40 point defensively strong winger as he demonstrated 2 years ago and there’s still potential for a much better player. It’s worth the risk for the upside and if he doesn’t get any better let him walk as an rfa or ufa in the next two years.
Let's not overreact
As always, if too much on the table to turn down, pull the trigger

And you know I am a champion of getting creative
but same time
let's not try to force something if not there

I'd take Othmann over Kakko. Kakko is useless. Big body that plays soft passive and often injured. Lets keep him cause he was the 2ed overall pick. Othmann at least plays with intensity and is a better skater than Kakko. Othmann will learn. Othmann reminds me of Ryan Hartman in my opinion. Kakko is what he is, a bust considered where he was drafted. Kakko just reminds me of Pat Faloon and Dave Chyzowski 2ed overall busts
your hate for KK remains obv.
It is misplaced
Now is the time to max KK upside w/correct chemistry fits
prepare for no bread around the corner
jettison Vesey now

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
If I've been paying attention, that leaves:

Panarin(Inj)-Tro-Laf
Kreider-Z-Smith
Cuylle-Chytil-Kakko
Ed-Carrick-Rempe
Vesey(Inj)-Brod-Berard

Miller-Fox
Jones-Trouba
Mancini-Schneider
Robertson-Ruhwedel
Lindgren(Inj)

Igor
Quick

I'd waive Ruhwedel. You will lose Robertson to waivers. Don't make that mistake again and he didn't look any worse than Ruhwedel in his time. Might have even been better. If this team wants to be taken seriously, then when players show you they are ready, you make it work.

Trade Lindgren. Package him with Kakko or not. Either way. Trade him.

The forwards are more interesting. I imagine Berard goes down. He can skate and he is tenacious, but I don't know if he was good enough to take anyone else's spot. Even if they do something interesting and outside the box for once in this boring franchises existence like trade Kakko and Lindgren, I still don't think he makes it cause they still have Vesey and Brod and Berard is waiver exempt.

I don't know if this team will be good. I know on paper they should be great, but seeing them get caved in by the Islanders AGAIN was not reassuring that they worked on 5v5 at all. Or that the players are willing to do what it takes to be good 5v5.

However, it was still preseason so not important. There is still time. Haha.

Also, I would like to mention again that I hate that this team keeps so many f***ing players in camp for so long. Could have had this list of players down after game 3.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
wait so we should have patience with Othmann even though our patience with Kakko was wrong? what the hell is this
concur
The poster has a right to his opinion, even if it is seriously wrong
He also has an obligation to defend, with intellectual gravitas, his remarks

Othmann is an unfinished product who is being overrated to be quick fix to someone's mistaken obsession with instant gratification

Kakko deserves some blame for not advancing faster, but in totality of circumstances -- injury, club not meshing with comp linemates after LaF promotion from kid line, etc -- he is fine, still w/upside

reasonable hope he produces better w/Chytil + Cuylle
Constant line shuffling not helpful

and again, bend buckle and break to the reality no bread here in 2 yrs if not before
given that, it is stupid to sell KK short

Mancini has been a pleasant surprise thus far tbh.
It seems like Berard and Edstrom will both be left standing on the big club as well when the dust settles.

Othmann wasn’t bad, but wasn’t good enough to set himself apart from the rest. Hopefully another 1/2 or Full season in the A does good things for his development
Berard should go down, work on his weight training

Rangers currently have 15 forwards and 10 defensemen. They need to cut 1-2 forwards and 2-3 defensemen. Forwards include Berard, Brodzinski, and Edstrom (excluding Carrick and Rempe who I think are locks to make it). Defensemen include Robertson, Mancini, Mackey, and Ruhwedel.
need to cut 1-2 forwards
trade Vesey
demote Berard

and 2-3 defensemen
Mackey and Ruh can both go down
We should be focused on trading Lindgren while he still has value

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Pp in the playoffs is harder because it's not just one game on the road to another team. Teams scout your pp for the series and continue to adjust to what you are doing until they find what works, sometimes they just copy what worked against it in the previous series, if you aren't adjusting as well you may as well fold the tent on the pp. That's why Tampa's pp was so deadly, they had a shooter on both sides that could also thread a pass, hedman or sergachev on the point firing pucks at the net and the willingness to drive the net when it comes from the point. I continually say it, it's obvious we are trying to work it to the left side of the ice because we have no left handed shooter on the right side. Our current iteration of the pp is most dangerous when Panarin is walking in with a shot from time to time and Fox is wristing junk at the net for tips, but that doesn't happen near enough

If everyone knows exactly what the Rangers PP is, why can't they stop it during the regular season?

Panarin(Inj)-Tro-Laf
Kreider-Z-Smith
Cuylle-Chytil-Kakko
Ed-Carrick-Rempe
Vesey(Inj)-Brod-Berard

Miller-Fox
Jones-Trouba
Mancini-Schneider
Robertson-Ruhwedel
Lindgren(Inj)

Igor
Quick

I'd waive Ruhwedel. You will lose Robertson to waivers. Don't make that mistake again and he didn't look any worse than Ruhwedel in his time. Might have even been better. If this team wants to be taken seriously, then when players show you they are ready, you make it work.

The forwards are more interesting. I imagine Berard goes down. He can skate and he is tenacious, but I don't know if he was good enough to take anyone else's spot. Even if they do something interesting and outside the box for once in this boring franchises existence like trade Kakko and Lindgren, I still don't think he makes it cause they still have Vesey and Brod and Berard is waiver exempt.

I don't know if this team will be good. I know on paper they should be great, but seeing them get caved in by the Islanders AGAIN was not reassuring that they worked on 5v5 at all. Or that the players are willing to do what it takes to be good 5v5.

Also, I would like to mention again that I hate that this team keeps so many f***ing players in camp for so long. Could have had this list of players down after game 3.

Robertson has been regressing in Hartford per the posters here who watch him often. How does that translate to him looking like a possible asset?

Reactions: UnSandvich

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
We'll be paying him near double what he is on, why are we excluding that extra massive hit against the cap.

I know exactly the situation, and effectively replacing Trouba's contract with a larger one, how are we planning on improving the team with other existing RFAs to sign. I also know we'll be adding said additional mammoth contract and ushering in another era of a flawed team being bailed out by a goaltender as our most 'important' player. And that is only if he goes on to have anything remotely close to the career of Hank. Far from assured.
There’s still a net savings losing Trouba and including just Igor’s increase.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016

Panarin(Inj)-Tro-Laf
Kreider-Z-Smith
Cuylle-Chytil-Kakko
Ed-Carrick-Rempe
Vesey(Inj)-Brod-Berard

Miller-Fox
Jones-Trouba
Mancini-Schneider
Robertson-Ruhwedel
Lindgren(Inj)

Igor
Quick

so let me understand this logic.
Berard isn't good enough to take anyones spot, but lets move kakko and play berard because its "out of the box".

For all the hate this board has for Kakko, replacing him is harder than anyone realizes. He's a plus defender AND when healthy puts up about .5 points per game in 15 minutes of ice time at 5v5.
Thats 5v5 offense (which is our weakness)
And his cap hit is under 3m.

Name a single player in the NHL who does all 3 things with a smaller cap hit?

You want to move lindgren because Mancini had a great camp and looks ready? I agree that he looked ready, but you know whats even better? Giving him one more full season in the NHL coming in and playing his natural side when we move Trouba. Sheltering him properly.

I also think Lindgren might not be as washed as people think. He was a plus defender for multiple years, and while his style puts time on the body, he's not 30+. I could see him having a bounce back year.

Also for anyone who gives a crap about losing to the islanders, its pre-season. Last year at the end of the preseason EVERYONE on the board was screaming to move laf. Howd that turn out?
The players who have spots are mostly just ensuring they don't get hurt, and I'm 100% fine with that.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
There’s still a net savings losing Trouba and including just Igor’s increase.
if igor was our only player to extend yes.
we have Laf/Key/Kakko (maybe)/Jones

Laf is either getting a 1 year deal for 5+ and then panarins cap hit goes to him the following year, or we're giving him 8x10. Laf is the bigger priority over shesty and its not even close.

Key is probably asking for 8, I'd like to see him settle for 6.5-7.

Jones should get 4x4.

Kakko is the question mark. I could see us getting really lucky, and locking him for 8x5 if he gets hot fast and he wants to stay, and exploding, or us just moving him. Theres really no in between. He either has a great year, and we're forced to lock him up, or we move his RFA rights. No matter what he is an NHL player, and some team will take a shot on him.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Rangers currently have 15 forwards and 10 defensemen. They need to cut 1-2 forwards and 2-3 defensemen. Forwards include Berard, Brodzinski, and Edstrom (excluding Carrick and Rempe who I think are locks to make it). Defensemen include Robertson, Mancini, Mackey, and Ruhwedel.
Mackey was already waived. If the Rangers are worried about losing Robertson to waivers, they may send Mancini down since he is exempt, rather than risk losing Ruhwedel. Ruhwedel isn't great, but he provides experienced depth.

Berard, Edstrom and Rempe are all waiver exempt. Any of them could be sent down to begin the season, though I expect the first will be Berard. I'm guessing the only reason he's still with the team is because of Panarin's injury.

Sending down Berard and Mancini gets us to 14 forwards and 8 dmen. The last cut will depend on Lindgren. If he is ready for opening night, I would expect one of Robertson or Ruhwedel to be waived (whichever they feel is less likely to be claimed). If Lindgren isn't ready, I would expect one of Edstrom or Rempe to be sent down.

If Mancini and one of Edstrom/Rempe get sent down, I know a lot of people will lose their minds, but them being waiver exempt is going to work against them. Drury is going to use that to ensure we don't lose any of our limited depth. All of those players will likely play a significant number of NHL games this season, regardless.

It's possible that Vesey is placed on LTIR and we carry an extra player to fill that spot, but then we won't be accruing any cap space to start the season.

In what way has Robertson shown that he is ready? Not being worse than Ruhwedel isn't an accomplishment. The only thing that may keep him on the roster is his waiver status.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

Jones should get 4x4.
Miller will get a raise, but I don't see him getting that much unless he improves on what he did last year. He's still too inconsistent.

For Jones to earn that contract, Fox would have to be injured for an extended period and Jones seamlessly replace him. The much more likely scenario is that he plays 3rd pair most of the year and gets a modest deal for 1 or 3 years (2 years takes him right to UFA).

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Ruhwedel should be the 7D. The idea is not to play him very much or at all. If someone would rather Robertson be the 7D I'm okay with that but it's pretty much the same job description.

Mancini I think might be ready to play on our bottom pair regularly. My guess is we're going to find out and if he can handle the left side the odd man out is Lindgren who is in his rental year. We can handle Ryan's $4.5 mil contract but IMO it's too much for what he brings. He's basically a 15-20 point a year stay at home defender who is combative enough but too often overpowered and too often injured or banged up. I'm against a higher cap number altogether or getting in a bidding war to keep him next summer. IMO---he's just not that good. If we can find a replacement for him this season that's great......maybe try move Lindgren on sooner.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Miller will get a raise, but I don't see him getting that much unless he improves on what he did last year. He's still too inconsistent.

For Jones to earn that contract, Fox would have to be injured for an extended period and Jones seamlessly replace him. The much more likely scenario is that he plays 3rd pair most of the year and gets a modest deal for 1 or 3 years (2 years takes him right to UFA).
Schnedier got 3x at a much younger age

i thought Jones was slightly closer to ufa.
He’ll get the same deal as Schneider 3x3

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

Miller will get smaller contract (I wouldn’t even be surprised if it’s under $6m) but a lower term too - so he will get a nice raise simply with higher cap at the next negotiations or even nicer raise if he’s able to bring his game to the next level.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Ruhwedel should be the 7D. The idea is not to play him very much or at all. If someone would rather Robertson be the 7D I'm okay with that but it's pretty much the same job description.

Mancini I think might be ready to play on our bottom pair regularly. My guess is we're going to find out and if he can handle the left side the odd man out is Lindgren who is in his rental year. We can handle Ryan's $4.5 mil contract but IMO it's too much for what he brings. He's basically a 15-20 point a year stay at home defender who is combative enough but too often overpowered and too often injured or banged up. I'm against a higher cap number altogether or getting in a bidding war to keep him next summer. IMO---he's just not that good. If we can find a replacement for him this season that's great......maybe try move Lindgren on sooner.

Sure seems like Mancini made the team

Robertson likely clears waivers . Ruewedahl is the typical 7th D

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

I'm not against moving on from Lindgren if we can find a suitable replacement, but this is the problem with trading away picks and prospects. There's no one in our system who can reliably replace him next season. That leaves free agency or trade, and the options for those are pretty thin.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
i thought Jones was slightly closer to ufa.
He’ll get the same deal as Schneider 3x3
Schneider got 2 years @ 2.2 mil. I could see Jones getting a similar AAV on a 1 or 3-year deal. Barring anything unforeseen, this will be Jones first full year in the NHL. Yes, he was on the team all of last year, but he only played 31 games and none in the playoffs. This is the first time he'll play as a regular. Let's see how he does with it.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
8x9.5 is the tops i would give Shesty. Otherwise he can take a hike and try to find another contending team with cap space who can sign him. Or end up in Columbus
Bob is making more than that and he signed 6 years ago.

Theres no question he's worth more than 9.5
And no reason to needlessly lose him when we can afford 10.5

Reactions: bernmeister

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
if igor was our only player to extend yes.
we have Laf/Key/Kakko (maybe)/Jones

Laf is either getting a 1 year deal for 5+ and then panarins cap hit goes to him the following year, or we're giving him 8x10. Laf is the bigger priority over shesty and its not even close.

Jones should get 4x4.

Kakko is the question mark. I could see us getting really lucky, and locking him for 8x5 if he gets hot fast and he wants to stay, and exploding, or us just moving him. Theres really no in between. He either has a great year, and we're forced to lock him up, or we move his RFA rights. No matter what he is an NHL player, and some team will take a shot on him.
In what universe is KK worth 8 x $5M?

Or Jones 4 x 4? Kid has played 40 career games.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
In what universe is KK worth 8 x $5M?

Or Jones 4 x 4? Kid has played 40 career games.
Did you see the point about kakko either explodes and puts up points, or we move him?
Its an either/or. If he puts up 58 points somehow, with his level of defense, then we'd do that in a heartbeart. Do I think thats likely, no. Do I think theres a possibility of it happening, yes?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad