Roster Building Thread - Part XII (Season starts 10/9 @ 7:30 pm)

Flan the incredible

Nov 8, 2014
This was probably one of the worse training camps I’ve ever seen. They didn’t experiment with anything.

Would have loved to see Mika and kreider broken up
I admire your dedication.

One would think after the last few years of hearing the same thing one would realize its not going to happen.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
What's everyone thinking for who will replace Panarin short term? This right here is my reason I'd like them to keep Othmann around to get acclimated to the nhl. I mean this is our biggest issue that we will say "oh we'll just move Chytil up and put Brodz in the 3c spot." It decimates our 3rd line. I realize Othmann hasn't really taken off outside of a game this preseason but imo he's a goal scorer, is physically ready and maybe with some time getting used to the nhl he could be the swing man that could go from 3rd line to top line in a pinch incase of injuries come playoffs. Imo I'd gamble on keeping him while panarin is out and see where it goes from there.

It actually matters a lot, ending up in a first round series vs Florida would not be ideal.
Othmann as a replacement for Panarin is definitely one of the thoughts of all-time. Anyone in-house who would hypothetically be gifted Panarin's spot/a regular spot in the lineup that wasn't already a regular on the NHL roster would give us maybe 25% of Panarin's output (~30 points) on top of all the detrimental play otherwise. We're looking to the rest of core 1 (Kreider, Mika, Tro) and core 2 (Fox, Laf, Kakko, Chytil) to pick up the slack here. If Kakko suddenly develops a scoring/assist touch/figures out what kind of player he wants to be with Panarin out and the rest of the group does what they do, I think NYR are in still a decent position.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Yes. I’m obviously advocating experimenting during the rev season for the sake of playoff preparedness. Since our PP went 2 for 27 over the last 10 postseason games to end our run… To quote Col Kurtz “The horror, the HORROR.” Hahahah. Yeah. Let’s just run that back. I’m not advocating just throwing a new unit out in game 7. How can you actually read the posts you are responding to and say that? How are we just throwing them out there when I’m saying we should already have them ready. And where did I say game 7? We did t even make game 7. This is frankly amazing.
Whatever. I don’t care if anything I said here gets misrepresented again. I’m done. It’s a thought. On a fan message board. It’s not worth this effort. Hahahaha. Have at it. Last word, no matter how much it misses what I’m actually advocating, is yours!
Bro, I didn't actually mean it has to be game 7. The point was I don't believe it's suddenly going to work. Stop with this misinterpreted stuff. I don't care about some last word here. Nobody is coming after you for your thoughts. Whenever somebody tries argue why it might be a bad idea, you just go off on how the powerplay eventually let us down, and that you don't care if it cost us some games during the season. As I said many post ago, nobody here can say for sure, but all were doing is responding to you on why it might not be a good idea. Nobody is taking this personal or misinterpreting you. There's not much to talk about. Most of our players haven't looked good during preseason.

Last edited:

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
This was probably one of the worse training camps I’ve ever seen. They didn’t experiment with anything.

Would have loved to see Mika and kreider broken up
The best thing about this camp is that we got a real look at some prospects. They gave some of them plenty of games and TOI when they did play. And the worst thing about this camp is that the fan base got depressed seeing our meh future... I kid. Somewhat.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
Laf Mika Smith
Kreider Trocheck Kakko
Cuylle Chytil Edstrom
Rempe Carrick Brodzinsky

Miller Fox
Jones Schneider
Mancini Trouba

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Laf Mika Smith
Kreider Trocheck Kakko
Cuylle Chytil Edstrom
Rempe Carrick Brodzinsky

Miller Fox
Jones Schneider
Mancini Trouba

I dont hate the second line.
The first makes no sense. I do agree with splitting mika and CK but CK's best production in a very small sample size was with Chytil. Laf can now play the left side, and edstrom hasn't really impressed me enough to get a 3rd line spot. He's on the 4th and deservedly so but he can grow there. He's not othmann or berard who needs top 9 minutes.

Try this

Cuylle - Mika - Laf (cuylle drives to the net ala CK, is the puck hound mika needs, laf will force mika open to score)
Othmann - Troheck - Kakko ( trocheck will force posession and kakko will force turnovers, othmann will find open ice for shots)
Kreider - Chytil - Smith (speed and forechecking with a good balance)
Brodz - Carrick - Edstrom

Rempe hasn't earned an every game spot. Im fine with the occasional but he's not an 82 game player.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Othmann as a replacement for Panarin is definitely one of the thoughts of all-time. Anyone in-house who would hypothetically be gifted Panarin's spot/a regular spot in the lineup that wasn't already a regular on the NHL roster would give us maybe 25% of Panarin's output (~30 points) on top of all the detrimental play otherwise. We're looking to the rest of core 1 (Kreider, Mika, Tro) and core 2 (Fox, Laf, Kakko, Chytil) to pick up the slack here. If Kakko suddenly develops a scoring/assist touch/figures out what kind of player he wants to be with Panarin out and the rest of the group does what they do, I think NYR are in still a decent position.
The idea is you have a laf and trochek that can hold the line up without damaging line 3 while giving othmann an opportunity to learn to play in the nhl until panarin comes back.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Panarin is day to day and skated yesterday. They're not going to blow things up if he has to miss a game or two. I would imagine they just move Kakko up and put Laf at LW.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Panarin is day to day and skated yesterday. They're not going to blow things up if he has to miss a game or two. I would imagine they just move Kakko up and put Laf at LW.
A kid getting a shot isn’t a terrible idea. Forces Laf to take another step, prove he can be “the guy” without Panarin drawing attention.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
What's everyone thinking for who will replace Panarin short term? This right here is my reason I'd like them to keep Othmann around to get acclimated to the nhl. I mean this is our biggest issue that we will say "oh we'll just move Chytil up and put Brodz in the 3c spot." It decimates our 3rd line. I realize Othmann hasn't really taken off outside of a game this preseason but imo he's a goal scorer, is physically ready and maybe with some time getting used to the nhl he could be the swing man that could go from 3rd line to top line in a pinch incase of injuries come playoffs. Imo I'd gamble on keeping him while panarin is out and see where it goes from there.

Perreault’s timeline actually lines-up very nicely against Panarin. He still has two years left so it is still kind of early to muse on what will happen then with too many equally plausible scenarios.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Mackey on waivers. Could be a good sign for Mancini.....

or Ruhwedel

I think Ruhwedel was intended to be the #7 from the beginning. I expect we'll carry 8 dmen to start the season, and Mancini will get that spot. He may go back down once Lindgren is healthy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad