Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
So let me get this straight.
You're going to boo trouba because a rumor told you he said he didnt want to be traded?
Because he didnt want to leave his wife and newborn.

She has a year. Trouba asked Drury for an extra year.

And again, the rumor mill punted out that he would refuse. Not a single reputable source pushed that narrative.
Drury clearly showed he didnt care about anything but making the team better, by punting goodrow to the sharks. He probably looked at trouba's list, looked at possible returns and thought it wasnt worth it.

He could've bought trouba out. it probably wasn't worth it.

So again. You want to make trouba feel your wrath due to a rumor.
yes-yes-chad.gif

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
This team has the potential to get it right and for the long term. In 2 years, only 3 moves

Pan Tro Laf
Krieds Chytil Othmann
Frederic Mika Perrault
Cuylle Carrick Berard
(Rempe, Edstrom)

Miller Fox
Byram Schneider
Jones Gudas

Shest/Garand

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
This team has the potential to get it right and for the long term. In 2 years, only 3 moves

Pan Tro Laf
Krieds Chytil Othmann
Frederic Mika Perrault
Cuylle Carrick Berard
(Rempe, Edstrom)

Miller Fox
Byram Schneider
Jones Gudas

Shest/Garand
out of curiosity how are you keeping panarin when laf and shesty need new contracts?

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019

Pan Tro Laf
Krieds Chytil Othmann
Frederic Mika Perrault
Cuylle Carrick Berard
(Rempe, Edstrom)

Miller Fox
Byram Schneider
Jones Gudas

Shest/Garand
You suggesting Kakko for Frédéric +? I'd do that trade but would the Bruins? Personally I'd like to see Berard in a top 9 role if possible. 2 years I bet Panarin is gone. I doubt Sabres deal Byram. Gudas maybe 5 years ago.

hardnosed

Feb 27, 2017
I didn’t glossed over it - you’re saying the Rangers “wanted” Lindgren and I disagree. If they wanted him - he’d gotten a long(er) term deal instead of just one year. Resigning Lindgren for one year was definitely not their plan A.
It definitely was. My contention is that due to the cap situation in 25/26, they don't have money to pay for a 2nd top 4 LD. That spot and Smith's top 9 forward spot need to be filled by a cheap player next off season. Both Smith and Lindgren are stop gaps. We have guys in the pipeline to fill the forward spot but not the top 4 men.

Reactions: majordomo

Feel Shame

May 8, 2024
If by improve you mean be an nhl player? Then yes.
But I also don’t want to turn into the islanders…
Fair to say Rempe would improve into a unique 4th line/spare forward in the NHL if he were to improve two of the aforementioned attributes. Camp will be interesting to see what he can bring to the team.

If he improves his skating and defensive stick work he would become a menace.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Some of you are either not married or pretending marriage isn't what it really is.

Let's look at Trouba's "decision" another way.

"Honey, the club has asked me for a 15 team no trade list and it seems like Detroit is really interested in trading for me"
"You're going to put Detroit on the list, RIGHT?"
"Honey, I-"
"You're going to do everything you can to stay in New York, RIGHT?"
"Well, I w-"
"You're not going to leave me here alone in the last year of my residency with a one year old, RIGHT?"
"I guess-"
"Hello, KO Sports, I'd like to talk to you about where my husband is NOT going"
"Oh boy"

alkurtz

Nov 26, 2006
Charlotte, NC
The way I look at the coming season is one defined by balance. On one hand, it is likely that we will see age-related regression from Panarin, Kreider, Zibanejab, and Trouba. It may be that we have already seen some from Zibanejab and Trouba. ONTH, we may see improvement from some of our younger players: Laf, Miller, Schneider. Hopefully some improvement from KK and Chytil though I am not counting on either of them. Maybe some from Cuylie, Othmann, and (the least likely of all) Rempe. How the balance between aging and young improvement plays out will determine how we end up.

Reactions: Speedtrials

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
The way I look at the coming season is one defined by balance. On one hand, it is likely that we will see age-related regression from Panarin, Kreider, Zibanejab, and Trouba. It may be that we have already seen some from Zibanejab and Trouba. ONTH, we may see improvement from some of our younger players: Laf, Miller, Schneider. Hopefully some improvement from KK and Chytil though I am not counting on either of them. Maybe some from Cuylie, Othmann, and (the least likely of all) Rempe. How the balance between aging and young improvement plays out will determine how we end up.
If you want to be optimistic I think the players most likely to rebound are mika and lindgren.

I think you're likely to see a jump in production numbers from the RW position (Laf,Kakko,Smith) is a big jump in what we had last season with wheeler and kakko out for 20+ games.

I think Chytil looked good in the playoffs for missing 70+ games. And we could have a really deep center rotation.

Trouba can be sheltered more, and a physical 3rd pair guy who's not great isn't the end of the world.
Let him kill penalties, block shots and try not to do too much.

I know that the board loves to moan and groan, but mostly keeping the group together, especially after a run to the ECF isn't a bad idea. I wish we'd locked up laf, but it sounds like he wants panarin's money, and I dont blame him.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I know that the board loves to moan and groan, but mostly keeping the group together, especially after a run to the ECF isn't a bad idea. I wish we'd locked up laf, but it sounds like he wants panarin's money, and I dont blame him.
This is fine. But the reason why the team ultimately lost was pretty obvious, and seemed to be eminently fixable via FA this year.

I still fail to see how this team is going to beat Florida without some significant deadline upgrades.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Agree in principle but If I were a little picky I’d push on the Zibanejad expected regression - this process is not linear and after his struggles last season - I’d think he’s going to recover some of his form from 22-23 season. Similarly after a tough season last year (if healthy!!!) I’d think there’d be a significant improvement from both Kakko and Chytil, and I’d add Cuylle to this group of youngsters who improve before fully coming into their prime. Overall as I said I agree with you that we will have to see how all of these factors balance out.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The cap is such that even the best teams are always going to be overpaying someone and having fixes they could use. If a really good team can manage at the deadline to temporarily fill the holes they do have with good fits that can be what puts them over the top. Luck still needs to be involved because an injury or two can still kill a team.....bad hops, lack of discipline, the refs can all factor in greatly as well. Any given year you can figure at least 5/6 teams think they have a great shot to win. 4 series and 16 wins is a lot and it doesn't take much to knock a team off the rails.

We have questions about our team but I'm sure Canes and Bruins fans feel the same way and for Leafs fans just getting past the first round is a big deal and the Lightning have dropped down a little. Next year the Panthers IMO will still be the favored Eastern team. That said their defense took a couple big hits losing Montour and Ekman-Larsson.

Reactions: Kupo

alkurtz

Nov 26, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Agree in principle but If I were a little picky I’d push on the Zibanejad expected regression - this process is not linear and after his struggles last season - I’d think he’s going to recover some of his form from 22-23 season. Similarly after a tough season last year (if healthy!!!) I’d think there’d be a significant improvement from both Kakko and Chytil, and I’d add Cuylle to this group of youngsters who improve before fully coming into their prime. Overall as I said I agree with you that we will have to see how all of these factors balance out.
Zibanejad's play irked me last year. Over the last few years, I've felt that as he went, the team went. He drove the offense. I hardly saw that last year. There are four possible reasons: lack of motivation. That is never the case with him. Lack of conditioning: again, never the case with him. Nagging injuries that we didn't know about: possibly, but not something we can address as we don't know. Age regression: he is at that age when some players begin to lose it, just a tad, but enough to be noticeable. I've never been one to believe in the trope that "he just had a bad year." There always is a reason. At age 31, it just might be early aging. I certainly hope he improves. As I said, as he goes, the team goes. He always starts slowly so it will be hard to tell what is happening before the calendar turns over to 2025. So, we will see.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
You suggesting Kakko for Frédéric +? I'd do that trade but would the Bruins? Personally I'd like to see Berard in a top 9 role if possible. 2 years I bet Panarin is gone. I doubt Sabres deal Byram. Gudas maybe 5 years ago.
No, in 2026 we sign Frederic as a FA. I have Kakko and Trouba retained going to Buffalo for Byram as the main pieces. For Gudas, you can insert a few 2026 RD FAs in fairness (Gudbranson, Murphy). I’m thinking of a 3-4 mil short term 3RD who can cover for Jones pushing the puck up ice (if Mancini isn’t ready).

• Wow
Reactions: RangersFan1994

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Zibanejad's play irked me last year. Over the last few years, I've felt that as he went, the team went. He drove the offense. I hardly saw that last year. There are four possible reasons: lack of motivation. That is never the case with him. Lack of conditioning: again, never the case with him. Nagging injuries that we didn't know about: possibly, but not something we can address as we don't know. Age regression: he is at that age when some players begin to lose it, just a tad, but enough to be noticeable. I've never been one to believe in the trope that "he just had a bad year." There always is a reason. At age 31, it just might be early aging. I certainly hope he improves. As I said, as he goes, the team goes. He always starts slowly so it will be hard to tell what is happening before the calendar turns over to 2025. So, we will see.
Agree with your breakdown but again I think you’re putting a bit too much weight into aging rather than spreading out his one season regression over the whole spectrum. If this persists over a multiple seasons then I’d be more inclined to agree with you.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
No, in 2026 we sign Frederic as a FA. I have Kakko and Trouba retained going to Buffalo for Byram as the main pieces. For Gudas, you can insert a few 2026 RD FAs in fairness (Gudbranson, Murphy). I’m thinking of a 3-4 mil short term 3RD who can cover for Jones pushing the puck up ice (if Mancini isn’t ready).
Byram and Krebs might work. Krebs might be on the block. Rangers I think liked him during his draft year.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island

The reason is that he shot 8 for 119 at 5v5

Reactions: kovazub94
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad