Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Edstrom is at least almost as fast as Rempe but he's also a smoother and more balanced skater. Edstrom had been playing 3rd/4th line roles and penalty killing in the SHL for a few years already before the Rangers signed him. I think if he makes the team he might be a good pk option. That kind of thing is already part of his wheelhouse. Rempe's not ready for that.

Edstrom, Cuylle and Kakko should ALL be regulars on the PK. If for no other reason than to spread the playing time out and get them touches. I wouldn't even be opposed to a forward pairing that consists of two wingers. Obviously, they wouldn't start the PK but most changes are made when play is actually happening and no faceoff is occurring. Smith-Kakko?

Trochek-Edstrom
Zibanejad-Kreider
Smith-Kakko
Carrick-Cuylle

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
He never mentioned it to me. In all seriousness, there was a lot of conjecture from the media on where he would or wouldnt go. Everyone said he was destined for Florida or Tampa but he's now in Vegas long-term. My main point with Hanifin was that defense should have been a much larger priority to upgrade. The team needs a left defenseman with size who can move the puck and take the body. I wonder now what it would cost to get Weegar or Chabot. There's an immediate need for a long term d-man. Miller needs to take a big leap to get there.
I think if they put Miller with Fox, as a pair, it's kind of there, but then there's still a big hole at 2LD.

In an ideal world, I'd rebuild that whole pair and have Jones-Schneider as my third.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
Edstrom is at least almost as fast as Rempe but he's also a smoother and more balanced skater. Edstrom had been playing 3rd/4th line roles and penalty killing in the SHL for a few years already before the Rangers signed him. I think if he makes the team he might be a good pk option. That kind of thing is already part of his wheelhouse. Rempe's not ready for that.
It's funny, but I think people are overrating Rempe's defensive game, while underestimating his offensive game. He's a bit of an oddball for a 4th liner, really. Edstrom is by far the more well rounded skater and defensive player and I don't think it's particularly close. He is far closer to what teams need from a 4th liner.

On the opposite end of the spectrum is Rempe, who, in his very limited minutes, was really effective in the offensive zone. Not only because his reach and speed made D move the puck faster than they wanted to. But also for being an absolute load to deal with in front of the net. He's very very hard to move once he gets in front and it creates massive headaches for opponents. Almost every point shot is super dangerous with Rempe on the ice and standing in front. It's like stopping the puck with a gorilla on your back. To the point where, I would love to see him get some chances on PP2, just standing in front of the goalie.

Separately, Rempe's hands and offensive instincts have been somewhat surprising. I would need to go back and look, but in his limited minutes, he seemed to create more high danger chances than most fourth liners and maybe more than most of our forwards at 5v5 per TOI. This is not to discount all the things he needs to fix - from agility to balance to defensive positioning and on and on. The list is quite long.

But for me, the biggest eye opener, was how excited I got when Rempe entered the offensive zone. He's a wrecking ball who can actually handle the puck when it ends up on his stick. As a result, the puck often finds him in interesting places.

Obviously, he must improve his agility and his balance. Even if it means slowing down a bit to be under more control. But his greatest upside is actually 3rd liner and PP2. His offensive ceiling to me is a bit higher than the Colton Orrs or Edstroms of the world. I see a bigger version of Stephane Matteau but who can drop the mitts. Instead of getting 30-35 points a season like Matteau, I could see Rempe get between 20-25. Plus Rempe has to find ways to stay on the ice )(and continue to grow his game/skating in all ways).

I don't know that Rempe's future is going to be on the PK. I don't quite see that right now. I worry that a guy with his size and skinny leg only creates more issues for our goalie on the PK, then helps. Again, his whole career in my mind comes down to seeing how much he can improve his agility and balance. Also his hockey IQ will need to evolve into making smarter choices, but I think some of that is related to his skating issues putting him in less than ideal on-ice situations.

But unlike so many of our players who supposedly have size, there are no issues with Rempe going to the hard areas. No issues getting to the net and planting himself there. To me, his work below the goal line and netfront, mixed with decent hands, makes him very intriguing piece. But there's just so much work to be done to get there.

But to be honest, I think the narrative of last season has created a false sense of what his game is. I think people are trying to plug him into the 4th line wing box and while I think that's where he'll be for a while, I think his strengths are a bit different than that.

If you want my craziest idea -- and keep in mind, I wrote craziest....but...

If Mika and Kreider stay together, I want to see what Rempe might look up there with them. I do not think he has the skillset nor the skating to hang. But on the other hand, he IS the menace that line could use to create turnovers and pressure 5v5. He could dig pucks out. And it might actually allow Kreider and Zib to do their freelancing in the zone. Rempe just goes to the net and causes havoc while everyone else buzzes around the zone. It's a thought anyway.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I think if they put Miller with Fox, as a pair, it's kind of there, but then there's still a big hole at 2LD.

In an ideal world, I'd rebuild that whole pair and have Jones-Schneider as my third.

That was the entire issue with retaining both Lindgren and Trouba. It relegates the team to separating Miller and Fox to have any sort of a semblance of a coherent top-6.

Miller-Fox
Lindgren-Trouba
Jones-Schneider

YUCK

Miller-Fox
Lindgren-Schneider
Jones-Trouba

YUCK

Lindgren-Fox
Miller-Schneider
Jones-Trouba

YUCK (but less yuck)

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017

I know its sounds like coping and not what people want to hear, but Im pretty sure thats what Drury wanted to do if Trouba wasnt holding them hostage. To be able to flip some of that 8mil toward the left side would have helped a lot. Hopefully Mrs. trouba passes her residency with flying colors so we can trade her husband next summer (or sooner)

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
They don't need more PK options. They already have the PK set. It's going to be Kreider, Zibanejad, Trocheck, Vesey, and probably Smith. They're not taking off the top guys who have succeeded at it for years to put in bad depth players.

Reactions: kovazub94

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Edstrom, Cuylle and Kakko should ALL be regulars on the PK. If for no other reason than to spread the playing time out and get them touches. I wouldn't even be opposed to a forward pairing that consists of two wingers. Obviously, they wouldn't start the PK but most changes are made when play is actually happening and no faceoff is occurring. Smith-Kakko?

Trochek-Edstrom
Zibanejad-Kreider
Smith-Kakko
Carrick-Cuylle
What happened to Vesey?

It is almost guaranteed to be Zibanejad - Kreider, Carrick - Vesey, Trocheck - Smith

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
What happened to Vesey?

It is almost guaranteed to be Zibanejad - Kreider, Carrick - Vesey, Trocheck - Smith

I forgot Carrick. Basically a 100% chance it's this. Not sure why other guys are even talking about, it's not going to happen. Edstrom/Rempe and such may not even make the team. It's probably best if they don't considering if they do there is a good chance that means Othmann had a bad camp. Cuylle/Kakko got a combined 1:07 on the PK last year. They had one of the best PK units all year. It's the same coaching staff. Those guys aren't getting on the unit barring a ton of injuries. Typical summer change for the sake of change talk.

Reactions: kovazub94

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
This isn't Dom Moore, Brian Boyle, Prust, or whoever else was able to take the bottom 6 role for us. This is a current fringe player, at best, who made the team because our call-up options and current options were beyond brutal. Giving Rempe PK minutes next season is a disaster waiting to happen. I don't want to hear about the AHL. The league is not the same. You can give Rempe 4th line minutes and play him in that position consistently without tossing him into a bigger role, involving PK minutes. I'm sure he won't even be the worst 4th line player we see next season on our team, but that isn't really saying much.

Yes, Rempe will look different with better skating, but he's not there yet for PK minutes and shouldn't be an option unless we have no other options.
While PK specifically is a dif kettle o fish, overall, we do not have lots of options.

The ongoing insistence that we [lay vets over youth, which hurts us at end of the year, needs to stop. It must break before the reality we need to develop our youth as early as possible.

end rant: for now

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
It's funny, but I think people are overrating Rempe's defensive game, while underestimating his offensive game. He's a bit of an oddball for a 4th liner, really. Edstrom is by far the more well rounded skater and defensive player and I don't think it's particularly close. He is far closer to what teams need from a 4th liner.

On the opposite end of the spectrum is Rempe, who, in his very limited minutes, was really effective in the offensive zone. Not only because his reach and speed made D move the puck faster than they wanted to. But also for being an absolute load to deal with in front of the net. He's very very hard to move once he gets in front and it creates massive headaches for opponents. Almost every point shot is super dangerous with Rempe on the ice and standing in front. It's like stopping the puck with a gorilla on your back. To the point where, I would love to see him get some chances on PP2, just standing in front of the goalie.

Separately, Rempe's hands and offensive instincts have been somewhat surprising. I would need to go back and look, but in his limited minutes, he seemed to create more high danger chances than most fourth liners and maybe more than most of our forwards at 5v5 per TOI. This is not to discount all the things he needs to fix - from agility to balance to defensive positioning and on and on. The list is quite long.

But for me, the biggest eye opener, was how excited I got when Rempe entered the offensive zone. He's a wrecking ball who can actually handle the puck when it ends up on his stick. As a result, the puck often finds him in interesting places.

Obviously, he must improve his agility and his balance. Even if it means slowing down a bit to be under more control. But his greatest upside is actually 3rd liner and PP2. His offensive ceiling to me is a bit higher than the Colton Orrs or Edstroms of the world. I see a bigger version of Stephane Matteau but who can drop the mitts. Instead of getting 30-35 points a season like Matteau, I could see Rempe get between 20-25. Plus Rempe has to find ways to stay on the ice )(and continue to grow his game/skating in all ways).

I don't know that Rempe's future is going to be on the PK. I don't quite see that right now. I worry that a guy with his size and skinny leg only creates more issues for our goalie on the PK, then helps. Again, his whole career in my mind comes down to seeing how much he can improve his agility and balance. Also his hockey IQ will need to evolve into making smarter choices, but I think some of that is related to his skating issues putting him in less than ideal on-ice situations.

But unlike so many of our players who supposedly have size, there are no issues with Rempe going to the hard areas. No issues getting to the net and planting himself there. To me, his work below the goal line and netfront, mixed with decent hands, makes him very intriguing piece. But there's just so much work to be done to get there.

But to be honest, I think the narrative of last season has created a false sense of what his game is. I think people are trying to plug him into the 4th line wing box and while I think that's where he'll be for a while, I think his strengths are a bit different than that.

If Mika and Kreider stay together, I want to see what Rempe might look up there with them. I do not think he has the skillset nor the skating to hang. But on the other hand, he IS the menace that line could use to create turnovers and pressure 5v5. He could dig pucks out. And it might actually allow Kreider and Zib to do their freelancing in the zone. Rempe just goes to the net and causes havoc while everyone else buzzes around the zone. It's a thought anyway.

I agree. I think some underestimate the good things he's capable of doing and some overestimate where he is on his development curve which brings us back to he's a very young player who is still developing into ? whatever he'll eventually become. He's not like a lot of big physical players with average or less than average ability to move around the ice. His skating though was still very much in the awkward stage last year and it can look a little embarrassing when he does a backwards header and we saw that a few times last year and for me anyway it's not as big a deal as some make it out to be.....though it's those kinds of off balance falls that more often than not a player has to take more time to recover and get back into the play from.

He's a unicorn though in the respect that there's no other player in the league who is quite the freight train he is coming in on the forecheck. He has the size and strength to throw players into the boards (like a Byfuglien) and these are not rare occurrences even with his limited ice time and as you pointed out when he plants himself in front of the net....he is a big big problem to deal with. The Rangers scored a few goals just with defenses unable to move hime and him screening off goalie sightlines.

I absolutely think he's making the team but he'll be a 4th liner and maybe 8-9 minutes a game and scratched now and again. I expect he's going to be better and being around the team playing and practicing will help him to improve more.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

totally this^, but also open to
if Kreider - Tro - Rempe
then
also bread - Edstrom - Zib ???

outside da box baby
try stuff and have it prove it doesn't work...
don't prejudge

They don't need more PK options. They already have the PK set. It's going to be Kreider, Zibanejad, Trocheck, Vesey, and probably Smith. They're not taking off the top guys who have succeeded at it for years to put in bad depth players.
Except flexibility says having more guys who can wear more hats, versatility = a benefit

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
totally this^, but also open to
if Kreider - Tro - Rempe
then
also bread - Edstrom - Zib ???

outside da box baby
try stuff and have it prove it doesn't work...
don't prejudge

Except flexibility says having more guys who can wear more hats, versatility = a benefit
I'm going to prejudge.

Bread-Edstrom-Zib is horrifying shit that might make me lose some sleep tonight.

fd556db3d8a7eafd943430fb7483f1c5.gif

• Haha
Reactions: UnSandvich

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I forgot Carrick. Basically a 100% chance it's this. Not sure why other guys are even talking about, it's not going to happen. Edstrom/Rempe and such may not even make the team. It's probably best if they don't considering if they do there is a good chance that means Othmann had a bad camp. Cuylle/Kakko got a combined 1:07 on the PK last year. They had one of the best PK units all year. It's the same coaching staff. Those guys aren't getting on the unit barring a ton of injuries. Typical summer change for the sake of change talk.
Yup, as you said we don’t even know if these guys will be in the lineup come October. IMO the odds are 50/50 that one of Berard or Othmann come to the camp and take a spot ala Cuylle from a year ago. I previously posted that in this scenario Rempe is 13th rotation.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Panarin Zibanejad Lafreniere
Kreider Trocheck Smith
Cuylle Chytil Kakko
Edstrom Brodzinski Vesey
Othmann Carrick Rempe
Berard

Thats 16 forwards that could reasonably make the team. The top 9 is all locked in. 7 guys fighting 4 spots. I think its reasonable to see Rempe, Berard and Othmann all start in Hartford. Everyone knows they will make appearances at some point. I think Edstrom is the most functional NHLer right now. He has size and likes to hit and seemed like a fundamentally sound player. Use him on the PK. Hes also older than the other guys and has experience in a pro league. More AHL time can only help Otter/Rempe/Berard. Motivate them to be the top guys down there and hopefully provide a spark to these boring vets later in the season.

When training camp starts the whole team should be trying to prove something because they are pretty well known as "too soft to beat a Florida team" or win the Cup. Doesnt matter what anyones opinion is but the fans and organization will both be very ready to move on from the vets if they fail again. Laviolette and Drury should also be gone if they dont get these players out of their comfort zones with different lines and pairings. Cant keep running it back and expecting different results.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008

This is what I’d do too. But I’d consider Jones-Schneider the second pair and Lindgren-Trouba the third pair. Hopefully Jones-Schneider takes a big step forward. I think they can.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

Trochek-Edstrom
Zibanejad-Kreider
Smith-Kakko
Carrick-Cuylle

Don't know if I'd use the word should but all three for me are possibilities to work into a pk rotation. I imagine Mika and Kreider are going to be doing it not just because they're good at it but they often get good chances and Kreider's scored a bunch of shorthanded goals the past couple years. Trocheck also is good at it and Reilly Smith ? too. Carrick does it. Of the younger guys Edstrom though it might be good for Kakko--because players up their average ice time and for some players if they get good at it it's a confidence booster. Vesey is another pretty good penalty killer.

Back to Mika and Kreider.....it almost seems Mika was more effective as a penalty killer than he was at 5v5 last year. It's important though what they can do on the pk because other teams know they can take the puck down the ice and get great chances. That's keeps a lot of opponents power play point guys on their heels when Mika and Chris are out on the ice. A small mistake and Kreider is going the other way and no one's catching him. Playing too aggressively taking chances, 50/50 pucks, flubbing passes or mishandling pucks they have to be very careful what they do.

Flan the incredible

Nov 8, 2014
Rangers need a 3rd line that can put the puck in the net. Chytil, kappo and Cuylle are not playmakers and are more complementary pieces. If the Rangers are going to win a cup they need a more balanced line up.

Thats in addition to an upgrade on Lindgren. If Drury can find someone who has some offensive instincts Fox can score 90-100 points if healthy.

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
Rangers need a 3rd line that can put the puck in the net. Chytil, kappo and Cuylle are not playmakers and are more complementary pieces. If the Rangers are going to win a cup they need a more balanced line up.

Thats in addition to an upgrade on Lindgren. If Drury can find someone who has some offensive instincts Fox can score 90-100 points if healthy.
berard is an obvious addition to the top 9 that I’m sure they won’t make all year because Rempe shenanigans

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I'm going to prejudge.

Bread-Edstrom-Zib is horrifying shit that might make me lose some sleep tonight.

fd556db3d8a7eafd943430fb7483f1c5.gif
Are you sure? I think that might get me to go to sleep early on game nights.. :)

Reactions: Kupo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad