Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
What it boils down to is the Rangers have had a ton of success the past 15-20 years or so and have been way more successful than the vast majority of the league over that time span as well. But when you keep going deep and don't get the ultimate job done, have 1 Cup in 84 years with a large portion of the fanbase never having experienced a championship (with this frustration stretching over multiple sports in the city), and see the team make mistakes that arguably set the team back and cost them a possible championship or shorten the window multiple times (Staal/Girardi extensions, Buch trade, Trouba contract and inability to get out of it), you are going to get an extremely frustrated fanbase (myself included.) You can call the fanbase spoiled and that others have it way worse (extremely true) but it's also very tiring to see what basically boils down to the same thing every season where you know the ending and how it's going to go and you're left wondering whether or not you're going to see a title before you're dead. All of this while the teams core players continue to get older and the team hemorrhages assets. That's how you get such a stark difference between public perception and Rangers fans perception.

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
If regular season and losing in the ECF gives you the warm and fuzzies, more power to you. The “Public” gave Drury a B for trading and an A- for roster construction…to me the take away is the public is smoking crack. And that it’s really hard for any one person to evaluate all 32 teams.
I tend to think the whiny fans are the ones with an issue. We’re in way better shape than more than half the teams in this league. Top 10 easy. And yes top of the league and ECF doesn’t suck.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
What it boils down to is the Rangers have had a ton of success the past 15-20 years or so and have been way more successful than the vast majority of the league over that time span as well. But when you keep going deep and don't get the ultimate job done, have 1 Cup in 84 years with a large portion of the fanbase never having experienced a championship (with this frustration stretching over multiple sports in the city), and see the team make mistakes that arguably set the team back and cost them a possible championship or shorten the window multiple times (Staal/Girardi extensions, Buch trade, Trouba contract and inability to get out of it), you are going to get an extremely frustrated fanbase (myself included.) You can call the fanbase spoiled and that others have it way worse (extremely true) but it's also very tiring to see what basically boils down to the same thing every season where you know the ending and how it's going to go and you're left wondering whether or not you're going to see a title before you're dead. All of this while the teams core players continue to get older and the team hemorrhages assets. That's how you get such a stark difference between public perception and Rangers fans perception.
It's hard to win the Cup, and if I felt they had a real chance to win it, I would be a lot more positive about the team's outlook.

In reality, every time they make it to the ECF, I watch that series and go "this isn't competitive." Making it to the ECF with a close to 0% chance of winning that series doesn't do anything for me.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
It's hard to win the Cup, and if I felt they had a real chance to win it, I would be a lot more positive about the team's outlook.

In reality, every time they make it to the ECF, I watch that series and go "this isn't competitive." Making it to the ECF with a close to 0% chance of winning that series doesn't do anything for me.
A close to 0% chance would be getting swept. We were two wins from taking the ECF. A healthy Fox and no other changes, we very well may have...
When fans perceptions and results don't align, I will give weight to results. Same as I will when results and "expected results" don't match up. ESPECIALLY when the results are repeated...
We can say it didn't look competitive, I'm 100% sure that's your true take on it and that you have legitimate reasons, but that's subjective. Objectively, a 6 game series IS competitive.

Reactions: lilphildub

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
As @Machinehead said "It's hard to win a cup."
It's a 32 team league that has REALLY made efforts at long term parity. Even to the league's overall detriment, IMO. In that sort of environment you cant expect to win a cup more than every 32 years. And since a team or two invariably WILL win more than once every 32 years others will likely have LONG droughts... its been 30 years since we won.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
A close to 0% chance would be getting swept. We were two wins from taking the ECF. A healthy Fox and no other changes, we very well may have...
When fans perceptions and results don't align, I will give weight to results. Same as I will when results and "expected results" don't match up. ESPECIALLY when the results are repeated...
We can say it didn't look competitive, I'm 100% sure that's your true take on it and that you have legitimate reasons, but that's subjective. Objectively, a 6 game series IS competitive.
We got outshot like 102-14 in game 3. The only game we looked good in was game 2.

Being terrible in 5/6 games is not a competitive series and gives you basically no chance of winning four of those games.

Hell, even if we looked great in both wins, you have to win four. We weren't legitimately in four different games.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Im sorry, being in the final 4 teams, and what should we be ranked lower than teams who didn’t make the playoffs? Or were bounced in the first round?

It’s not supposed to be a ranking of how good the team currently is. It’s at least in theory supposed to consider the past, present, and future.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Rangers are the second best team in the East but their defense is completely exposed. I guess the braintrust is giving Lindgren and Trouba a chance to prove they can be better in the first half of the season before they trade assets for a real defenseman or 2 that they desperately need. The forward group is certainly good enough to win a Cup, especially if Kakko and Chytil are healthy and improve, plus the young guns like Cuylle, Berard, Othmann continue to gradually make the lineup.

Many of the people who say this team "can't" win a Cup were saying the opposite after we started 7-0 last playoffs. The North remembers. The team has its flaws but its incredibly entitled and clownish to act like anything short of a Stanley Cup is some colossal failure. It's fair to question the locker room culture after last year (especially the NMC squad) and also fair to question management, but we are going to be right there again next year. Everyone is a loser until they arent. Is there some juggernaut out there that Im not seeing?

All I know is that, for me, the wound is healing and I'm starting to get excited for the season again.

Cmox

Jan 22, 2010
In the woods
In my opinion the fan outlook research really boils down to the amount of fans. If you have a large fan base you're going to get tons of voices heard and usually the loudest group aren't the most supportive.
Hilarious stuff --- at least all the deranged, self loathing, pessimistic fans are all here.

The Athletic has a feature on how each fan base and the public in general, have confidence in the team's front office. There are some crap teams with high grades. And there we are 17th. And that's only because the general public like our position much better than fans do. And some responses, and the authors basically saying - lighten up, you've been to 2 of 3 ECF. You have some good contracts and will be contending again.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island

I see now that Eichel, Bob, and Barkov all won the cup making 10M they've now decided to move the goalposts to "greater than" 10M. Probably no need to read on past the fifth sentence because it's already easy to tell the author is not smart and is biased.

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Rangers are the second best team in the East but their defense is completely exposed. I guess the braintrust is giving Lindgren and Trouba a chance to prove they can be better in the first half of the season before they trade assets for a real defenseman or 2 that they desperately need. The forward group is certainly good enough to win a Cup, especially if Kakko and Chytil are healthy and improve, plus the young guns like Cuylle, Berard, Othmann continue to gradually make the lineup.

Many of the people who say this team "can't" win a Cup were saying the opposite after we started 7-0 last playoffs. The North remembers. The team has its flaws but its incredibly entitled and clownish to act like anything short of a Stanley Cup is some colossal failure. It's fair to question the locker room culture after last year (especially the NMC squad) and also fair to question management, but we are going to be right there again next year. Everyone is a loser until they arent. Is there some juggernaut out there that Im not seeing?

All I know is that, for me, the wound is healing and I'm starting to get excited for the season again.

I think the issue at least for me is that unless Kakko, Jones and Chytil all have a much bigger impact than last year it's going to be hard to be a better team than the one that wasn't good enough this year, and then you throw into the mix a large contract for Shesty, Laf and Miller into the mix and it gets a lot harder. I'm still excited for this year, I just realize for us to win the team needs to be built for a long playoff run. Trochek was a homeowner but outside of that there hasn't been much going on for Drury imo.

alkurtz

Nov 26, 2006
Charlotte, NC
(As I've said in other posts): my earliest NYR memories are from 1958, I was a hardcore fan since 1963, and a season ticket holder in the old blue seats from 1969-1976. I am still a hardcore fan who rarely misses a game on TV. I've raised two hardcore Rangers fans. I would never say that age brings wisdom, as it is untrue. Age brings experience but that experience is often not used productively. Sometimes I think that it is only the young who see things clearly. But, here is one thing I've learned: you cannot judge your happiness as a fan based only on championships. You have to take your happiness where you find it. If your happiness is only based on championships, you are doomed to a life of frustration. If being a fan only brings you anger and frustration, why bother? In my time as a sports fan, I have only seen a few championships: the Rangers in 94 (I must say, one of the highlights of my life), the Mets in 69 and 86, and the Giants 4X. I am not a basketball fan, so I don't list the few Knicks championships here. Sure, we all want to win, that is the point, isn't it? But being the last team standing cannot be the be-all and end-all of your fandom. Again, that will doom you to a life of frustration. As the NHL has grown from 6 to the current number, it has gotten harder and harder. Do I regret all those years of being eliminated in the playoffs? Well, one effect of being a long-time and older fan is that it is easier to move on. It wasn't so when I was younger, that is for certain. Last year was a great year, one of the most enjoyable in my 60+ years as a fan. The end was frustrating, certainly. We all want to win. One championship in 60+ years is frustrating. Do I regret 59+ years of frustration? Not for a second. Am I already looking forward to next year? Of course. We're at the time of the summer when I crave hearing Sam Rosen's voice. Do I have realistic expectations for the coming year? Certainly. do I expect to win the Cup? No. Last year was a joy: the emergence of Laf., the endless comeback wins, the outdoor game, Kreider's march up the all-time Ranger records, winning two rounds of the playoffs. The end was disappointing, certainly, though not unexpected. Maybe age does bring you a bit of wisdom after all. I bleed Ranger blue, and have for all these decades. Do I regret a moment of it? No, as frustrating as it has been. I really don't understand anger at particular players, unless poor play is the result of laziness or poor conditioning. Nobody is perfect: there are other teams out there trying to win. So, my message is: take your happiness as a fan where and when you can get it. Championships come along rarely, and it is certainly much more difficult now that there are 32 teams and not six. One championship in 60+ years: do I regret being a Ranger fan? Not for a second. Am I frustrated with that number? Certainly. Can I be critical of Drury (and other GMs and coaches)? Certainly. I never understand how some posters seem to hate players. Be upset with how they are playing? Absolutely. But sometimes that hatred seems to become personal pointing to the supposed moral failing of players. Anyway, that's my spiel for today. Looking forward to the start of training camp, come what may.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
(As I've said in other posts): my earliest NYR memories are from 1958, I was a hardcore fan since 1963, and a season ticket holder in the old blue seats from 1969-1976. I am still a hardcore fan who rarely misses a game on TV. I've raised two hardcore Rangers fans. I would never say that age brings wisdom, as it is untrue. Age brings experience but that experience is often not used productively. Sometimes I think that it is only the young who see things clearly. But, here is one thing I've learned: you cannot judge your happiness as a fan based only on championships. You have to take your happiness where you find it. If your happiness is only based on championships, you are doomed to a life of frustration. If being a fan only brings you anger and frustration, why bother? In my time as a sports fan, I have only seen a few championships: the Rangers in 94 (I must say, one of the highlights of my life), the Mets in 69 and 86, and the Giants 4X. I am not a basketball fan, so I don't list the few Knicks championships here. Sure, we all want to win, that is the point, isn't it? But being the last team standing cannot be the be-all and end-all of your fandom. Again, that will doom you to a life of frustration. As the NHL has grown from 6 to the current number, it has gotten harder and harder. Do I regret all those years of being eliminated in the playoffs? Well, one effect of being a long-time and older fan is that it is easier to move on. It wasn't so when I was younger, that is for certain. Last year was a great year, one of the most enjoyable in my 60+ years as a fan. The end was frustrating, certainly. We all want to win. One championship in 60+ years is frustrating. Do I regret 59+ years of frustration? Not for a second. Am I already looking forward to next year? Of course. We're at the time of the summer when I crave hearing Sam Rosen's voice. Do I have realistic expectations for the coming year? Certainly. do I expect to win the Cup? No. Last year was a joy: the emergence of Laf., the endless comeback wins, the outdoor game, Kreider's march up the all-time Ranger records, winning two rounds of the playoffs. The end was disappointing, certainly, though not unexpected. Maybe age does bring you a bit of wisdom after all. I bleed Ranger blue, and have for all these decades. Do I regret a moment of it? No, as frustrating as it has been. I really don't understand anger at particular players, unless poor play is the result of laziness or poor conditioning. Nobody is perfect: there are other teams out there trying to win. So, my message is: take your happiness as a fan where and when you can get it. Championships come along rarely, and it is certainly much more difficult now that there are 32 teams and not six. One championship in 60+ years: do I regret being a Ranger fan? Not for a second. Am I frustrated with that number? Certainly. Can I be critical of Drury (and other GMs and coaches)? Certainly. I never understand how some posters seem to hate players. Be upset with how they are playing? Absolutely. But sometimes that hatred seems to become personal pointing to the supposed moral failing of players. Anyway, that's my spiel for today. Looking forward to the start of training camp, come what may.
robert-redford-jeremiah-johnson.gif

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
There’s some logic there but would McDavid be considered a crutch that EDM would be better off getting rid of? I’m seriously wondering this, I’m not being “cute”. I don’t think it would be better for EDM. But in the case of a goalie it might force them to learn to play a better 200 foot game without him…

I don’t know. It’s an interesting question for sure.
You definitely have a point. Before becoming good on defense this past season wouldn’t the argument be let’s get rid of McDavid because his play masks Oilers D issues (as he’s been the best player in the league for 5-6 years)?

Reactions: bhamill

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
This guy gets it.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I think the issue at least for me is that unless Kakko, Jones and Chytil all have a much bigger impact than last year it's going to be hard to be a better team than the one that wasn't good enough this year, and then you throw into the mix a large contract for Shesty, Laf and Miller into the mix and it gets a lot harder. I'm still excited for this year, I just realize for us to win the team needs to be built for a long playoff run. Trochek was a homeowner but outside of that there hasn't been much going on for Drury imo.
You’re listing like third or forth issue in terms of importance. Lets see.
Do think the team would fare better if Fox and Trouba were healthy? Would it get them over the top - don’t know but from it sure would help their odds. Next let’s see how much Smith could be an improvement over what Wheeler, Roslovic and down season from Kakko provided. Reasonable to hope that the newcomer will do better. Can Chytil stay healthy then surpassing half season from Bonino and Chytil’s own season to forget should be easy. Can we expect improvements from players still developing in Lafreniere, Culley, Miller, Schneider, Jones, Kakko? IMO that’s another good bet.
The big negative question mark is 1LD. Can outweigh all the others I listed earlier and here’s where you “choose” to be positive or negative. Seeing all built in positive factors I hope the negative will be addressed at least “good enough”.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
We got outshot like 102-14 in game 3. The only game we looked good in was game 2.

Being terrible in 5/6 games is not a competitive series and gives you basically no chance of winning four of those games.

Hell, even if we looked great in both wins, you have to win four. We weren't legitimately in four different games.
The RESULTS, winning 2 of 7, ARE competitive though, that’s my point. Were we CLOSE to winning the series? No. If we stretched it to a 7 game series then I’d say it was a CLOSE series, no matter how anyone thought we looked. You can’t make it much closer than a 7 game series. Hahaha. But a 6 game series is competitive. It just is.
And again, if we were outshot 102 to 14 then our best player must have been phenomenal. Shesty is no less a part of this team than McDavid is of his. If McDavid wins games for his team they are still a good team. If Shesty wins games for us we stink…

You definitely have a point. Before becoming good on defense this past season wouldn’t the argument be let’s get rid of McDavid because his play masks Oilers D issues (as he’s been the best player in the league for 5-6 years)?
Yeah, I mean it’s kind of a bias about what position your best player is allowed to be at.
Again, the bottom line is results.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
The RESULTS, winning 2 of 7, ARE competitive though, that’s my point. Were we CLOSE to winning the series? No. If we stretched it to a 7 game series then I’d say it was a CLOSE series, no matter how anyone thought we looked. You can’t make it much closer than a 7 game series. Hahaha. But a 6 game series is competitive. It just is.
And again, if we were outshot 102 to 14 then our best player must have been phenomenal. Shesty is no less a part of this team than McDavid is of his. If McDavid wins games for his team they are still a good team. If Shesty wins games for us we stink…

Yeah, I mean it’s kind of a bias about what position your best player is allowed to be at.
Again, the bottom line is results.
Subtract McDavid’s 40 playoff points crutch to truly evaluate Oilers’ state of the team.

Last edited:

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
You’re listing like third or forth issue in terms of importance. Lets see.
Do think the team would fare better if Fox and Trouba were healthy? Would it get them over the top - don’t know but from it sure would help their odds. Next let’s see how much Smith could be an improvement over what Wheeler, Roslovic and down season from Kakko provided. Reasonable to hope that the newcomer will do better. Can Chytil stay healthy then surpassing half season from Bonino and Chytil’s own season to forget should be easy. Can we expect improvements from players still developing in Lafreniere, Culley, Miller, Schneider, Jones, Kakko? IMO that’s another good bet.
The big negative question mark is 1LD. Can outweigh all the others I listed earlier and here’s where you “choose” to be positive or negative. Seeing all built in positive factors I hope the negative will be addressed at least “good enough”.

I never listed any issue really outside of the contracts that will make it harder every year to build a team as good as the previous year unless some of the young players step up. The point is that we were a good team this year, we added smith , Jones and Carrick to the main roster. Once we hand a big contract to Shesty, Laf and Miller it becomes almost impossible to be better unless it's the kids driving that because we will not have money to improve it in other ways. My point was, unless chytil Kakko and Jones take a big jump this year, it's gonna be hard to contend because we'll be caught between being a good team but not a cup team again.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017

I dont think the point is to be "better" this year. Winning the Prez Trophy is fun but it means nothing ultimately. The Rangers just need to get into the playoffs and go from there. Igor can win any series and I do think Drury can see the problem with the defense. Its salvageable if Laviolette and the players are willing to put their egos aside and switch up the pairings. I do believe theyll be in the market for a top defenseman toward the deadline.

The forward group is very deep. Bonafide top line, my hope is if Mika/Kreider are staying together (wouldnt be my choice) that Smith can help them breakeven 5v5 and while the wonder twins own special teams. The bottom 6 has a ton of young talent. We're in the window and we're a good team. The entire league knows we are a top contender, the fanbase is just traumatized, especially fans of a certain age (people who didnt see 94 like myself).

Reactions: noncents

Mandar

The Real Maven
Sep 27, 2013
The Tarheel State
This guy gets it.

Post of the Year

Post of the Decade

Post of the Millenium

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
Great post. And youve got me beat, I was a hardcore fan starting around '67!

Reactions: alkurtz and Mandar

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Great post. And youve got me beat, I was a hardcore fan starting around '67!
71-72 for me in Canada and mostly on the AM dial and sometimes only half of the broadcast before it would drift to French channel on the AM dial . I still remember the Burger King ads....it was a long time before we saw a BK in our little province .....maybe 79 ?

The scariest part about our own team is the play in our own end by the whole club.....the forwards for their lack of help and the D for their overall softness and foot speed . Fox is above stellar inside the opposition blue line as an offensive guy and catalyst but he is not as great defensively as everybody thinks he is and that also does not help us back there .

I know Igor saves a lot of guys butts in many games and not just our Dmen are the cause of that . Anyways.....we are good . but far from perfect although adding new blood being more robust & younger should help .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad