Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Very happy Drury didn't spend on late 20's/30's year old guys to fill out bottom 6. Wasn't happy with the Carrick deal at the time but I guess if he can be a decent 12/13 guy whatever.
Time for Berard/Edstrom to do that. I'm still not sold on Rempe but heck if he improves and finds a way into the bottom 6 great.

I can see the need for someone like Carrick. The Rangers center depth is putrid and they really need someone on that line who can win some faceoffs to at least start the shift with the puck and move it in the right direction.

Reactions: Chalfdiggity3

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
Very happy Drury didn't spend on late 20's/30's year old guys to fill out bottom 6. Wasn't happy with the Carrick deal at the time but I guess if he can be a decent 12/13 guy whatever.
Time for Berard/Edstrom to do that. I'm still not sold on Rempe but heck if he improves and finds a way into the bottom 6 great.

Can you imagine the audacity of drury to under the table handshake on goodrow waive and then immiatelty go and get another goodrow?

He's learned. Unfortunately, the time he took to learn was with us and the mistakes too.

He went and got Vinny after he realized his mistake with meeka. Just too late.

Reactions: bl02

Atax

Apr 7, 2011
God if they give Lindgren 4x5. At least Fox can play with his bestest best friend in the whole wide world.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Yeah if we want to focus strictly on regular season production, he's right there.

Lets look at the top 10 players in RS production over the last 5 years (Panarin's time as a Ranger) and see how they've performed in the playoffs relative to their RS production. I'll save everyone (and myself) the trouble and just flat out tell you that both McDavid, Draisaitl and MacKinnon(1 2 and 3 on the RS list) produce at a higher rate in the playoffs than they do in the regular season - Those guys are the elite of the elite and it carries over even more so when the chips are down.

Panarin - 1.32 PPG to .76 ( -0.56 PPG)
Matthews - 1.27 to .98 (- 0.29 PPG)
Pastrnak - 1.25 to .92 (- 0.33 PPG)
Marner - 1.24 to .78 (- 0.46 PPG)
Kucherov - 1.48 to 1.29 (-0.19 PPG)
Rantanen - 1.23 to 1.32 (+0.09 PPG)
Tkachuk - 1.10 to .94 (-0.16 PPG)

Panarin's drop of is more drastic than everyone else and even taking the drop off out of consideration, he's been a substantially weaker producer than everyone else in the top 10 outside of Marner who is within range. The same Marner who has been getting destroyed left and right by the media/fans.

Mika has gotten way more heat than Panarin (and I'm not saying that he should be shielded from it, he shouldn't) but in the last 5 years - 1.03 to 1.00 (-.03 PPG)

We could push this exercise to the top 20 and it wouldn't change a thing. Even if we went to just raw ppg, he'd be 20th out of 20. Not something you want our of the 4th highest paid player in the league.

Big paychecks bring big expectations and playoff performance matters. He's fallen short there by a lot and is one of the biggest reasons this team hasn't been able to get over the hump.

Salaries stop getting paid once the season ends.

If 11.6 is an underpayment because another team offered 13, then 13 must be fair value.

Given that definition, no one is overpaid.

These things aren't mutually exclusive. Multiple teams are fully capable of offering a player more than he is worth.

If we compare Panarin and his salary to other players and their salaries, he is, in fact, overpaid.

Considering tjat since he's signed that contract, he has been the 4th most productive player in the NHL AND his ream has gotten to the conference finals twice, I'd say the 11.6 is fair value.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Salaries stop getting paid once the season ends.

Considering tjat since he's signed that contract, he has been the 4th most productive player in the NHL AND his ream has gotten to the conference finals twice, I'd say the 11.6 is fair value.

I'm aware.

We've seen plenty of guys pick up a few extra bucks (or a bunch of extra bucks) for what they have done in the post season - it has factored in. Even if the team has gone to the conference finals twice with him on the team, he hasn't been the top skater (taking Igor out of the equation, who has been #1 for both) on the team (or even top 3) in either of those runs.

We can give him his flowers for the Carolina series this year as I don't think they win it with out him but he was painfully mediocre if not pretty bad in the other 2. Both me and others have illustrated how poor he's performed in the playoffs as a Ranger. I don't think it's fair to completely ignore what he's done on the regular season but it's just as unfair to ignore his lack of post season production - where he's been utterly dismal in comparison to players both in his pay range and regular season cohorts in production (and dismal even compared to loads of players who produce less than he does in the regular season.)

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Lol Carrick will play every night

Reactions: tiggles

Atax

Apr 7, 2011
Who are some LD trade deadline options?
I mean lets assume the expected playoff teams make the playoffs. You'll have to look then at bad teams with UFA. So guys like Provorov, Gavrikov, Larson, Petry,

In other words, not much.

Reactions: Synergy27

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
I mean lets assume the expected playoff teams make the playoffs. You'll have to look then at bad teams with UFA. So guys like Provorov, Gavrikov, Larson, Petry,

In other words, not much.
provorov is the one we should get

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
If Rempe wants to have any future in the league he needs to tell the coaches he wants work on the penalty kill and he needs to learn to become good at it. Otherwise you have a guy who is going to be among the worst offensive players in the league who is going to be a large negative in penalty differential which is not exactly what you want from your role players. Can he learn to PK and play well defensively? Maybe. I have zero hope for his offense though. This is a guy who has not scored much in any league he has every played in going back to when he was 15 years old. Way worse than even Ryan Reaves. Basically John Scott level, who did last a long time, but that was a different era.

Reactions: Ail and Synergy27

CTTribe73

Aug 17, 2023
If Rempe wants to have any future in the league he needs to tell the coaches he wants work on the penalty kill and he needs to learn to become good at it. Otherwise you have a guy who is going to be among the worst offensive players in the league who is going to be a large negative in penalty differential which is not exactly what you want from your role players. Can he learn to PK and play well defensively? Maybe. I have zero hope for his offense though. This is a guy who has not scored much in any league he has every played in going back to when he was 15 years old. Way worse than even Ryan Reaves. Basically John Scott level, who did last a long time, but that was a different era.
More like Michael Scott

failure

Nov 25, 2014
Colorado Springs
Was kinda hoping that he was working on his skating.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

This conversation has been had, the offense Rempe scores is available at the NHL level. Get to the net, keep it simple, win 1v1 battles, deflect pucks. He’s not bereft of offensive talent and he knows his role and how to be effective. This isn’t a kid who scored 100 points in junior recreating himself. That’s a big difference

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
So 95% didnt offer him a 13M contract. Seems like isles tried over overpay him, rangers also overpaid for him since most of league wasnt offering him almsot 12M.

He was overpaid. Almost 15% of our cap at the time. Crazy some doesn’t think he was overpaid. Who cares it someone tried to pay more, all they did was try to overpay him even more.
You are embarrassing yourself. Hes been worth every penny and luckily he signed here for below market value. Because again, market value simply is how much a competitor is willing to pay.

Lets make it simple crypto man. The highest bid the market is willing to pay for bitcoin right now $57,925. If you could get a bitcoin for $55,000 would that be a good deal? The answer is of course yes because youd be paying below market value, just as the rangers did with panarin.

Some people really hate Rempe, eh? I find that odd.
Its the new generation fans mainly that didnt grow up with hockey and think that fighting and hard hits should be banned. These people genuinely believe casual fans want more michigan goals and less fighting and hits. They are not to be taken seriously

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
This conversation has been had, the offense Rempe scores is available at the NHL level. Get to the net, keep it simple, win 1v1 battles, deflect pucks. He’s not bereft of offensive talent and he knows his role and how to be effective. This isn’t a kid who scored 100 points in junior recreating himself. That’s a big difference

He will have no offense. He didn’t score in junior. He didn’t score in the AHL. He didn’t score as a 15 year old. He had 3 points in 25ish nhl games. He’s likely the worst offensive player in the league. His ice time will be less in the NHL than at other levels. You’re probably looking at a guy who maybe scores 10 points a year if he plays 82 games. The offense is not just as available at the NHL level as it is in weaker leagues. That’s fooling yourself. Yes he still goes to the net but the defenses are better, the goalies are better, and he’ll also spend way less time in the offensive zone in general against NHL competition than he would face in lower level leagues.

Cody McLeod had a 30 goal WHL season. Kurtis MacDermid a 40 point season (as a dman). The amount of offense he’s put up in lower levels is just unfathomaly bad.

If we must have a big guy the guy we should be trying to develop for that role is Edstrom who has shown some actual puck skills and offensive ability in addition to being physical without taking nonstop penalties.

Last edited:

Guyute

Sponsor
Feb 17, 2013
Cody McLeod had a 30 goal WHL season. Kurtis MacDermid a 40 point season (as a dman). The amount of offense he’s put up in lower levels is just unfathomaly bad.
MacDermid was 21 years old which is the same age as Rempe was this year. He's still just a baby. If Rempe becomes reliable defensively he will play 10-12 minutes per night. The Rangers have much more swagger when he's in the lineup. He's already demonstrated a forecheck that puts the fear of God into opposition D and it tilts the momentum in our favor. The issue is can he be relied upon when he isn't forechecking because the puck is in our own end. If he can defend, win battles, and chip the puck out then we have a unicorn on our team.

Cmox

Jan 22, 2010
In the woods

Attachments

• hock.gif
    hock.gif
    2 MB · Views: 1
  • Haha
Reactions: FUZfan

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
You are embarrassing yourself. Hes been worth every penny and luckily he signed here for below market value. Because again, market value simply is how much a competitor is willing to pay.

Lets make it simple crypto man. The highest bid the market is willing to pay for bitcoin right now $57,925. If you could get a bitcoin for $55,000 would that be a good deal? The answer is of course yes because youd be paying below market value, just as the rangers did with panarin.

Its the new generation fans mainly that didnt grow up with hockey and think that fighting and hard hits should be banned. These people genuinely believe casual fans want more michigan goals and less fighting and hits. They are not to be taken seriously
I’m a middle aged man that’s been posting on this board for twenty years and who constantly shits on my younger teammates who are exactly that new generation you speak of. I dislike Matt Rempe the hockey player because he sucks at hockey and is an unnecessary sideshow on an otherwise very seriously contending team.

We lost this year because our defense sucked but it would have been nice to have been trotting Edstrom out there instead of Rempe. Edstrom got such a raw deal this year.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Everyone shitting on Rempe is going to be really miserable when he plays 70 games for NYR next year. Hahahahah.
I will be furious if he plays that many games. I might be furious if he plays 7 games.

MacDermid was 21 years old which is the same age as Rempe was this year. He's still just a baby. If Rempe becomes reliable defensively he will play 10-12 minutes per night. The Rangers have much more swagger when he's in the lineup. He's already demonstrated a forecheck that puts the fear of God into opposition D and it tilts the momentum in our favor. The issue is can he be relied upon when he isn't forechecking because the puck is in our own end. If he can defend, win battles, and chip the puck out then we have a unicorn on our team.
Yes! if only he can learn to play actual hockey will he be useful. Who knew?

Reactions: 80shockeywasbuns

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad