Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Who would you rather have for one game?

Official hint: Ain't Hellebucyk

That one game, is a crap shoot, especially in the playoffs and the last 5 years of Stanley Cup playoffs prove that.

I'd rather have thr extra $4.5M invested in a deeper D core.

This team just can't have $13M invested in a goalie for the next 8 years.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
With the slavkofsky contract at 8 years $60 mill we all realize laffs agent is demanding 6 years $55.35 mill or he aint signing.

Its an easy convo for his agent.

Agent: We took a sweetheart deal at 2 X $2.325 we want to simply just make the same deal an inferior player in slavkofsky made over 8 years which brings us to 6 years $55.35 million ($9,225,000 cap hit).

Drury: no that cap hit is too high

Agent: Okay well if you dont want to sign we’ll go to arbitration and then be 1 year away from UFA after the one year arb case settles. Your call, you couldve signed laff for 8 years like every other #1 overall pick does after their ELC and had him at a $7.5 cap hit.

Drury: alright, damn you have a point here. 6 X $9,225,000 it is.
I think this number is a bit too high. Slaf is a D+4 player. Lafreniere will be a D+6 player at the end of his deal. You're getting 2 RFA years on a Laf deal, the Habs are getting 4.

If we get a P/PG season out of him next year (which is very likely), you might be able to get a 6 year 51M contract which comes out to an 8.5M AAV contract. Reason being is that you have a player that is going to want to hit free agency before 30.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
I think this number is a bit too high. Slaf is a D+4 player. Lafreniere will be a D+6 player at the end of his deal. You're getting 2 RFA years on a Laf deal, the Habs are getting 4.

If we get a P/PG season out of him next year (which is very likely), you might be able to get a 6 year 51M contract which comes out to an 8.5M AAV contract. Reason being is that you have a player that is going to want to hit free agency before 30.

I think if Laff signs for 8 years, the Rangers are looking at an AAV of $8.5M.

Lower the years, lower the cap hit.

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
I’m so tired of these asinine declarations.

“I will trade Igor if he commands anything north of 10…”

That very same video game dynasty mode asshat will then support trading for a mediocre contract…Does having an 11.5M goalie create tighter space? You bet, and given some of our reckless tendencies to fill spots with bullshit, I welcome that.

Be thankful we have the best.

Now go send Trouba to the moon for a nice return and let’s f***ing go.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Fair on Ekblad.

Neither Tkachuk or Barkov were market value contracts when they were inked. We live in a world where Tavares and Panarin’s contracts exist.
You just compared two UFA contracts to rfa extension contracts. They are apples and oranges. 7 year values versus 8 years.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
That one game, is a crap shoot, especially in the playoffs and the last 5 years of Stanley Cup playoffs prove that.

I'd rather have thr extra $4.5M invested in a deeper D core.

This team just can't have $13M invested in a goalie for the next 8 years.
I would expect and hope Igor comes in around $11MM. That’s a fair price. He deserves to be paid at the top of the market.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
TIL that scoring 120 points is just "very, very good."

I would surely like our top playe's production to increase in the playoffs, but we are a no-depth team with a less than average defense with abysmal 5v5 production that survived mostly on the PP and the back of Lundqvist jr. Can't expect just three/four guys to do it all no matter how much they get paid. The Leafs taught the NHL that.
He doesn’t control the game the way the other players at his pay grade does. You know this is true.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Just bc another team was willing to make a worse decision doesn't mean nyr made a good one.
It doesn't mean we made a good one, but it also means we technically did pay 'less than market price'

For all my beef with Panarin though, it's unclear to me what we could have done instead with that money in he meantime that would have been more auspicious.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
He could've got more from the Islanders and took less. That's the beginning and end of the "overpaid" conversation.
Lmao what? That makes no sense. So instead of being GROSSLY overpaid by 5M he is only overpaid by 4M so that’s the end of overpaid conversation? Makes a lot of sense

He was offered a million more per year to sign with the Islanders
Ok he’s still overpaid. Makes no sense

Reactions: bhamill

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Lmao what? That makes no sense. So instead of being GROSSLY overpaid by 5M he is only overpaid by 4M so that’s the end of overpaid conversation? Makes a lot of sense

Ok he’s still overpaid. Makes no sense

It's hard for me to say what a player's value is if not what they're offered in free agency by the highest bidder.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
It's hard for me to say what a player's value is if not what they're offered in free agency by the highest bidder.
Yes, that doesn’t mean they arent overpaid. Panarin was and is. That’s how you get these players to sign.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
I would expect and hope Igor comes in around $11MM. That’s a fair price. He deserves to be paid at the top of the market.

$2.5 more then any other goalie that recently signed an extension is putting him there.

The Rangers need to figure out at some point this summer if he won't move much off that $13M number. They really shouldn't go into the season with this contract negotiation over their heads

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
Yes, that doesn’t mean they arent overpaid. Panarin was and is. That’s how you get these players to sign.
Islanders and Panthers were both considered favorites for 10. In hindsight, it’s actually surprising that he didn’t follow Bob to Florida.

Panarin was phenomenal, league MVP caliber in Year 1, he’s been a regular season offensive wonder, and to his credit stayed healthy (knock on wood).

His signing shifted our entire window forward during a very dark time during COVID.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Islanders and Panthers were both considered favorites for 10. In hindsight, it’s actually surprising that he didn’t follow Bob to Florida.

Panarin was phenomenal, league MVP caliber in Year 1, he’s been a regular season offensive wonder, and to his credit stayed healthy (knock on wood).

His signing shifted our entire window forward during a very dark time during COVID.
Dark time? We were rebuilding (that barely lasted 2 years) That wasn’t a dark time at all, want to talk dark times than look in the early 2000s when we were the jokes of the NHL.

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
Yes, he was 100% overpaid when he signed that contract. Insane to think it wasnt, absolutely insane.
What is your definition of “overpaid”. My definition is above fair market value. Considering we werent the highest bidder or even 2nd highest for that matter, that is by definition not overpaid.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl

Market value is what you are worth. If a team pays $1M less than market value then you are not "overpaid" regardless of what YOU think he's worth which is absolutely not the point of this discussion.

Yeah, I get it. You think he sucks in the playoffs blah blah blah.

He's been a 1st or 2nd team All Star, that's top 4 wings in the league, 3 out of 5 years he's been a Ranger.

Auston Mathews? Twice in an eight year career.
MacKinnon? 3 times in 11 years
Barkov? Never
Pastrnak? 3 in 10
Marner? 2 in 8
Tkachuk (Matthew)? 2 in 8
Panarin? 4 in 9. 3 in 5 as a Ranger

Yeah, he's elite. Not overpaid no matter how you're looking at. Possibly the best UFA signing in New York Sports history and certainly in Rangers history.

This discussion is just dumb.

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
Yes, he was 100% overpaid when he signed that contract. Insane to think it wasnt, absolutely insane.
The question is if Panarin's contract is keeping the Rangers back in regards to icing a competent Cup contending defense or is it Trouba's? Or really, does it even matter?

Florida's defense was incredible with Forsling, Mikkola and Montour making what, less than 10 combined?

Panarin isn't the problem, nor is his contract. It's the defense being unable to do anything under 5v5 pressure. They can't move the puck properly out of the zone 5v5. We fix that, and that alone and this team can win the cup.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
$2.5 more then any other goalie that recently signed an extension is putting him there.

The Rangers need to figure out at some point this summer if he won't move much off that $13M number. They really shouldn't go into the season with this contract negotiation over their heads
If he has his heart set on $13MM, let his agent talk to other teams. He will quickly find out there’s a not a flush market at that price. And if he finds a taker, let that team deal with Drury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad