Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Why is it whenever the Rangers add grit, it’s always a 4th line player? Do the Rangers like soft forwards in their top 9. Outside of Trocheck, Lafy and sometimes Kreider, why do the Rangers prefer their skilled players to be soft? Rangers can never get a Tkachuk, Marchand, Jamie Benn type

A lot has to do with how the league has evolved the past 2/3 decades. The game in the 80's, 90's and 00's was a lot harder than it is now and out of that came all the concussion lawsuits. So things like fighting and even hitting to some degree have been de-emphasized and FWIW for the games own good but as far as entertainment value it's a bit less to fun to watch. Vestiges of it remain....when a team gets a player who can fight, hit and score they tend to hang on to them. The best way to get them is through the draft.

Players evolve as well to fit. If NHL teams are asking for more and more skill that's what's going to happen. Another thing that's happened is the smaller player has come back into things. That said and it's been pointed out a lot over the last 10/15 years teams bulk up for the playoffs....especially on D. Teams that win do have D's joining their offense but also big, steady defenders and depth forwards good enough to smother the offense of other teams as well as an elite forward or two or three able to step up in critical situations. It's not easy to putting all those things together and a team still needs some luck on its side.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Prove it year for Lindgren...really important year for Chytil and Kakko.
Iffffff, Chytil stays healthy, Kakko takes a step and one of Othmann or Berard make this squad, imo our forward group is better than last year.
Plus it would really help if Laf can put up a 70pt season which might be hard with no PP1 time . I am of the thinking he should be on PP1 .....it is overdue .

DevilDog99

May 5, 2018
I think there is grounds for contract termination by the Rangers if he refuses to report to a team NOT on his No-Go list.

He is refusing to report to a team that he has no protections with. His actions are clearly detrimental to the team. Once the NMC converted to a Limited NTC, he was completely SOL.

The Rangers are bending over backwards here not to look like complete shitheels, but at some point, Trouba and his camp have to see the writing on the wall.

They should keep the guy in street clothes until he gets it through his thick dome that he's no longer needed/wanted here.
In all honesty, I would bet the players and coaches do want him. The organization might want that cap space but that is a different argument.

Keeping a player in “street clothes” in this scenario is unrealistic.

Plus it would really help if Laf can put up a 70pt season which might be hard with no PP1 time . I am of the thinking he should be on PP1 .....it is overdue .
Agreed. I would take zbad off pp1. He needs to earn it over Laf.

Reactions: leetch99

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I know that. But it would send a.message for sure
If you want to send a message, you waive him and assign him to Hartford (should no-one claim him). That would be sending a message. Just having him in the press box doesn't do the team any good, and isn't a real pressure point for Trouba. Hartford would be.

That would probably be catastrophic for the vibes in the locker room too, but whatever.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
sometimes "Rongos gonna Rongo" is just the best way to describe something the team did
New York Rangers:

erhqxcw39kudm6udbyly.jpg

New York Rongos:

Screenshot 2024-07-06 at 16-07-19 New York Rangers Kicking off @northwellhealth Kids Day with ...png

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
I'm surprised how long this nickname talk has sustained itself. Who gives a shit what you or others call them? Rangers. Rongos. Rags. Blueshirts. Pooshirts. Blueshits. f***in losers. Whatever. It means less than nothing. Haha

The same people that get mad about stupid nicknames are the same ones saying "debbies" and "piles". Like, what are we doing here?

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
1) What the F is Buffalo doing?

2) Why can’t we trade Kakko for McGroarty if McLoed can fetch Savoie?
Buffalo is and will continue to be an enigma……..

I would love to do Kakko for McGroaty, jets prob wouldn’t.

Word on the streets is McGs main reason for wanting out is he wants an NHL job basically promised to him to start the year. He doesn’t want to play in the AHL at all….
Maybe he’s ready and will succeed, but I can’t see any top contending teams agreeing to those terms… a team on the rise like Ana/chi sure, no real expectations…
It’s basically the Kravtsov situation all over again, but maybe this kid is ready to a spot. Who knows????
The type of game he plays is what we need more of, but guaranteeing him a spot won’t fly here…..

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
We should ban the Rongos and how to illegally get out of the Trouba contract conversations from this thread.

Actually be able to find the 1 or 2 posts that would Actually be pertinent to a roster building thread.

Reactions: Go Rangers

alkurtz

Nov 26, 2006
Charlotte, NC
This is an unpopular opinion, but I don't care.

Kudos to Trouba for putting family first. Kudos to Trouba for saying his wife's career is just as important, if not more so, than his. Kudos to Trouba for recognizing that his career is finite while his wife's career is lifelong. From day 1 here, Trouba has been forthright in telling everyone where his priorities are. Kudos to Trouba for sticking to his contractual rights.

In any labor dispute, I always (always) side with the workers, even though those workers might be millionaires. Many would say that team loyalty should come first. But we all know that management, as is their right, will trade or dump players without regard to the fact that they are dealing with human beings. Management has no loyalty.

Of course, as a Rangers fan, I recognize that the team would be better served with an upgrade on defense. Of course, I know that he is not worth the money we pay him (though, if he were gone guaranteed at the trading deadline we would be moaning the fact that we need to be more physical. Of course, I know that his contract prevented us from being more active in pursuing free agents.

But, to me, those concerns are secondary to knowing that Trouba has integrity and values that put his family and his wife first. Those are values I live my life by (BTW, I met my future wife going to a Ranger playoff game in 1970).

So more kudos to Trouba. Though I might criticize his on-ice play, my respect for him as a human being has increased over the last week.

hardnosed

Feb 27, 2017
I guess each of us has to decide for ourselves if it's ethically and morally ok for Trouba to get around his partial NTC by making it known that he wouldn't report to teams not on his list.

Reactions: Graves97

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Again, it’s in the contract that lawyers have gone through. This was an outcome that should have been discussed and foreseen as possible. Trouba and his agent have just put on a master class to their benefit. I don’t fault him or Overhardt.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
This is an unpopular opinion, but I don't care.

Kudos to Trouba for putting family first. Kudos to Trouba for saying his wife's career is just as important, if not more so, than his. Kudos to Trouba for recognizing that his career is finite while his wife's career is lifelong. From day 1 here, Trouba has been forthright in telling everyone where his priorities are. Kudos to Trouba for sticking to his contractual rights.

In any labor dispute, I always (always) side with the workers, even though those workers might be millionaires. Many would say that team loyalty should come first. But we all know that management, as is their right, will trade or dump players without regard to the fact that they are dealing with human beings. Management has no loyalty.

Of course, as a Rangers fan, I recognize that the team would be better served with an upgrade on defense. Of course, I know that he is not worth the money we pay him (though, if he were gone guaranteed at the trading deadline we would be moaning the fact that we need to be more physical. Of course, I know that his contract prevented us from being more active in pursuing free agents.

But, to me, those concerns are secondary to knowing that Trouba has integrity and values that put his family and his wife first. Those are values I live my life by (BTW, I met my future wife going to a Ranger playoff game in 1970).

So more kudos to Trouba. Though I might criticize his on-ice play, my respect for him as a human being has increased over the last week.
It’s one thing to respect a person as a human being. Especially if we want to assume that he and his agent have abstained from doing any of the underhanded or bad faith shit in the rumors.
It’s another thing to think that that mitigates in the slightest a massive underperformance of a contract.
He could be Albert f***ing Schweitzer and I’ll sit here and say that at his cap hit he is hurting the team, and needs to go. He is prioritizing his family. That’s great. For him and his family. It’s selfish by definition, but we all are. And the team is just as entitled to act in IT’S best interest as Jacob is. I don’t fault him for wanting the situation that is best and most convenient for his family. But that isn’t the NYR’s problem. They have their OWN priorities, and they are entitled to act on them over Jacob’s priorities, just as he puts his family first, NYR are obligated to put THE TEAM first. And doing that does not shit on Trouba’s integrity at all. They are separate things.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
I'm surprised how long this nickname talk has sustained itself. Who gives a shit what you or others call them? Rangers. Rongos. Rags. Blueshirts. Pooshirts. Blueshits. f***in losers. Whatever. It means less than nothing. Haha

The same people that get mad about stupid nicknames are the same ones saying "debbies" and "piles". Like, what are we doing here?
not much else to talk about with Thumb Up His Ass Drury running the team.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Pennsyltucky
So a nickname for the Rangers used with no bad intention is worse than one used with bad intention?

God I feel like we do this dance every couple of years. OBJECTIVELY the term "Rags" was coined as slight by rival fans originally. It's no different than calling the Isles "Piles" or Devils "Debbies." Over the years other fans who didn't know saw the word Rags and incorrectly made the logical assumption it was simply a shortening of the team name in the same way you would shorten Penguins to Pens. I do not fault them for that and I do not think most of the people using the term Rags are doing so with malice. It doesn't change the fact however it was born from malice.

Conversely Rongos started as a joke from a series of poorly drawn avatars for each team originating (if I recall correctly) from the Carolina board on this website. It was not made with malice, but our own fans here on this board thought it was funny and started using it as a slight at the team when they played poorly where it basically became their alter ego. It's not even truly an insult to the franchise in the way Rags is/was because it only applies to the current team when they do something stupid or suck.

So the former started out maliciously and became innocuous (outside of malding rival fans still using it), while the latter started out light hearted and became an inside joke on this board. This is not up for debate, these are historical facts. Also most importantly, who gives a shit lmao? Imagine letting nicknames for your favorite sports teams used by literal whos online upset you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad