Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
If he fails to honor and fulfill the contract w'o just legal cause, he has provided grounds for Rs to invalidate his contract.
If Trouba is traded to a team that's not on his list and refuses assignment, it would be the team that traded for him that would be responsible for terminating his contract, and he would forfeit the 12M that's owed to him. That's the incentive for him to report to that team. 12M.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
That's a fair deal, probably good for the Canes. If we didn't already try the Roslovic thing I'd say that's a deal I would have wanted us to consider.
After a dumb deal Wennberg got this is pretty good for Canes especially if they get him to play with a consistent effort.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Is threatening a breech or do you have to follow through for it to be a breech?

I have seen players in all sports make that kind of threat. 9 times out of 10 they usually report. Few people are walking away from their career and millions of dollars for too long.

And if you're the other team are you going to trade assets and take the chance that you're wrong and he doesn't?

In any case, the point is irrelevant. Drury and the organization don't actually want him off the team at all costs. They wanted to clear cap space to bring in other guys. That time is passed. If they truly wanted him off the team all they would have to do is waive him and then if nobody claimed him trade him at negative value to one of the 16 teams on his list since at that point what do they care if he doesn't report? They get something in return regardless.

Last edited:

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I have a feeling Trouba being trade and us signing walker was plan A……
When that hit a snag, walker wasn’t waiting around and immediately signed with Canes.
Tbh, I thought he’d prob get 4-4.5 mill on only a 5 yr contract instead of max 7
Yeah, I don’t know if this specific action was the plan but I’m pretty sure Trouba’s tactics to stay messed up Drury’s plan for July 1 and now he’s in regroup mode. Definitely turned to plans B/C

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I have issues with Trouba's performance on the ice, but I'm not in such a scurry for him to get moved that it's worth doing what the entire media mob did by throwing him and his family under the bus. Literal defamation of character they pulled.

Defamation of character with the shit he pulled? Good f*** him.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Threatening to not report is not breaching a contract.
If Drury trades Trouba to Nashville, and they are not on his list, he's traded. The paperwork is processed. He's a Nashville Predator.

If he elects to not play for Nashville, then they 100% can terminate his contract.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
And if you're the other team are you going to trade assets and take the chance that you're wrong and he doesn't?

In any case, the point is irrelevant. Drury and the organization don't actually want him off the team at all costs. They wanted to clear cap space to bring in other guys. That time is passed. If they truly wanted him off the team all they would have to do is waive him and then if nobody claimed him trade him at negative value to one of the 16 teams on his list since at that point what do they care if he doesn't report? They get something in return regardless.
Sometimes teams do despite the threat but I'm sure other times they do not. If I was another team I would not fear the usually empty threat BUT I also would not want a guy that did not want to be on my team.

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
How DARE you make a reasonable, logical post that doesn’t make huge ass assumptions and that also really don’t make a lot of sense? I’ll be watching you.

All kidding aside. This really does seem most likely and I hope it’s true because I didn’t like thinking that Trouba was acting in an underhanded fashion the way the rumors were indicating.
I seem to recall someone (either here or one of the reporters) saying that Trouba used similar tactics to get traded here. Anyone recall what happened?

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
What is this whole argument? We always called ourselves Rongos, when we played like shit or FO did stupid things. It was a meme on this board ffs.

The derogatory term not to be used is Rags. Tbf that's what other teams call us, but again Rongos was an established term around here.

Who is we?

It’s just stupid. The word itself even sounds stupid. Rongos, Mongo. It sounds immature and dopey. Every time the team doesn’t do what you want - whether realistic or not - “It’s the Rongos again!” Often in revisionist history.

Do I care enough to “call someone out” or make an issue of it? No. Do I roll my eyes when I see it? Yes.

To each his own.

Reactions: TominNC

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I don't see how it would have changed anything. Trouba would have been under no obligation to provide the list a month ago. And if he did, it still wouldn't change the dynamic where he's apparently making it known he won't go anywhere else, effectively scaring other teams away from trading for him. For whatever it's worth, Arthur Staple reported that's what happened, that Trouba was asked for the list last week and refused to submit it until Monday morning, which was the deadline.

IMO the reporting has been off on this since the beginning. Brooks says he's close to being traded and Friedman even says the same thing on TV during the draft. Then it falls apart, and we hear that things are acrimonious, Trouba is shocked and hurt. And then Brooks issues a rare acknowledgement that what he had originally was wrong, that the trade wasn't about to happen and Trouba didn't try to kill it, and on top of that, all the discussion have been professional and cordials.

The only thing that seems to be without question is that Trouba isn't interested in being traded this year with his wife still finishing the residency and the new kid. Everything beyond that, it's a f***ing mystery what actually happened.

There's plenty of things one can criticize Drury for, but the guy isn't an idiot. That getting rid of Trouba was going to be an adventure was obvious even to a regular guy like me; I got into a lengthy argument about it the night before free agency opened. At that time I laid out basically this exact situation, where Trouba could just tell everyone he didn't want to move, and then no one would take him. This isn't me tooting my own horn, I'm just bringing it up to say that if I could see this situation unfolding, I'm sure the Rangers could, too, and I didn't even know about the residency being delayed or whatever that is.

My guess is, the reality is that the Rangers had some exploratory talks with Detroit and whoever else, made progress, broached the subject with Trouba knowing he might bristle at it, he did, and they simply backed off. And the rest of it is just speculation from angry fans who want the guy gone (I want him gone, too, for what it's worth).
Have there been a lot (or at least a few) situations of similar fact pattern where a player who’s contract changed to limited or no no-trade restrictions publicly announced that he won’t report? I’m surprised it came to this but not surprised it involved Trouba who’s throughout his career has refused to compromise on contract matters.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
Sabres didn't know what's his face Swedish guy hated Buffalo so much he decided to retire and they acquired him. That's what is unfortunate. His NTC gave us enough room to move him to a team that didn't do a ton of diligence and asking around but now the cat's outta the bag.

every team is going to ask to talk to Trouba and his agent before any trade is signed off now. No GM will acquire him and create problems for themselves. He's got a NMC as far as we're concerned.

I'm starting to think the leak was by the agent's side to create this exact situation.

Leak the "trade", fall through, then a few days after, they ran all those stories about Trouba's wife and now every GM knows he doesn't want to leave NY.

Bam, NMC.

If that's the case, it gives Drury justification to fire back and send him to Hartford and force him to report. Not to really send him to Hartford but to threaten him and basically be willing to accept a trade to teams he hasn't blocked and even a few he blocked.

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
Who is we?

It’s just stupid. The word itself even sounds stupid. Rongos, Mongo. It sounds immature and dopey. Every time the team doesn’t do what you want - whether realistic or not - “It’s the Rongos again!” Often in revisionist history.

Do I care enough to “call someone out” or make an issue of it? No. Do I roll my eyes when I see it? Yes.

To each his own.
But I prefer to consider them someone to be ignored

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
What is Smith even rebounding from? He scored 1.8 pts/60 last year with a 51.5 CF% and 53.1 xG%. Pretty similar numbers to what he always puts up. Oh what do you know he shot 8.6% good for the worst in his entire career. I'm sure he will be fine. With that normalized his stats would have been the same as ever.
Interesting. His total point took a noticeable hit while /60 wasn’t affected so that means he played less minutes, AND his conversion rate was down - double whammy or more like the former (his on ice minutes got affected by latter his luck of conversion). Good reasons to think he’s in for a rebound year.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
If Trouba is traded to a team that's not on his list and refuses assignment, it would be the team that traded for him that would be responsible for terminating his contract, and he would forfeit the 12M that's owed to him. That's the incentive for him to report to that team. 12M.
we are getting caught up on the list
Is it teams he can not be traded to?
Or reciprocally teams must report to, b'c his right to reject does not extend there?

He has the right, and ONLY the right, to what was agreed to: a carve out of 15 teams he can reject and not waive if he wishes.
The other 15/16 whatev, he has to report
If he does not, he is in breach

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
Again:

I don't believe it works like that.

We can't terminate his contract. The new team (where he would fail to report) would have to terminate his contract.

So the trading team would have to trade for him with assets, and then go through the termination procedures which would only happen when Trouba failed to report in the fall. So that team would be out assets, and would be handcuffed until the contract is terminated.

No team is going to do that if there is even the remote chance that Trouba fails to report.

Which seems to be why it's super bad faith on Trouba's part if he's leaking he won't report.

Reactions: Profet

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Sometimes teams do despite the threat but I'm sure other times they do not. If I was another team I would not fear the usually empty threat BUT I also would not want a guy that did not want to be on my team.

I don't think it's an empty threat from a player who has already made ~60M in his career. Especially one like Trouba who has already held out once before into November when he was an RFA.

Last edited:

BLOCKERSAVE

Jan 16, 2013
15 team no trade list. 16 teams to work with. Just find one team and if Trouba says no, terminate the contract.

7 Canadian teams and Detroit. That's 8. 7 U.S. based teams remaining. He can't block a trade to every team. That's his contract. This nonsense about him refusing to report to the team trading for him doesn't make sense.
Can they terminate his contract if Trouba says no?

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
Im genuinely confused why people are rushing Lindgren and Trouba out the door with almost zero ability to add replacements?

The July 1st FA thread was filled to the brim with 'glad we didnt sign any of those contracts' - yet now the same people are wanting to spend assets (that the team doesnt have) on players who wont be retained on until the trade deadline

Choosing to stay out of UFA means theyre running it back - holding out hope they have plans to replace two defenseman, and with better options, is fruitless

This isnt a video game - you arent moving Lindgren and Trouba for better talents nor do you have the assets to get better talents. Then Drury is going to also make a trade for a forward with the cap savings?

IMG_4732.gif

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Im genuinely confused why people are rushing Lindgren and Trouba out the door with almost zero ability to add replacements?

The July 1st FA thread was filled to the brim with 'glad we didnt sign any of those contracts' - yet now the same people are wanting to spend assets (that the team doesnt have) on players who wont be retained on until the trade deadline

Choosing to stay out of UFA means theyre running it back - holding out hope they have plans to replace two defenseman, and with better options, is fruitless

This isnt a video game - you arent moving Lindgren and Trouba for better talents nor do you have the assets to get better talents. Then Drury is going to also make a trade for a forward with the cap savings?

View attachment 892620

Agree with your general stance, that trades are highly unlikely at the point and UFA is obviously over. There were decent options to replace either player (Sean Walker for Trouba would have been a massive upgrade).

People are holding on to hope with the shreds of their fingernails because bringing back the same defense caps the ceiling for this roster. Playing Lingrden and Trouba 20 min a night each means this team is going to be average to below average at 5 on 5, which means they are highly likely to encounter a handful of teams in the post season that are straight up top to bottom better than them.

Then layer on that it is likely going to be harder to win from here...potentially with this being the last season this team can realistically aspire to contend...and people's desparation makes sense. Both because the most productive forwards are unlikely to be MORE able to win any given playoff series and because Igor inevitably being on the books at $12-13M is going to limit the NYR ability to add around them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad