Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
shop.profetkeyboards.com
Seriously though...

There has to be something coming before camp.... Right?

I can't see them running back a worse team then last year. Not when they got so close.

Miller-Fox
Lindgren-Schneider
Jones-Trouba

With basically zero depth.

This does not excite me.

Reactions: Atax and Nickmo82

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Pretty interesting that the Rangers haven't signed some cheap 1 year, $800 guys. Everyone else has. Rangers signed about 5 of them last year. Here's where Drury will insert the youth in.

This just tells me that they plan to use more young players like Othmann and Edstrom. They signed cheap ones last year and got waived or hurt.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Rongos is not from pre-2014. One of the Canes board posters (HalleJokel) was drafted to bandwagon the Rangers during/around the 2015 playoffs and that’s where it came from, as a joke.

It’s definitely not an insult like Rags.

It is. The post where I'm referring to me, amazingkreids, jerseyjinx, etc... complaining about it was from May 2014 so it must've been circling around a bit before that to even get on our nerves. It's definitely before whatever you're describing above.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Seriously though...

I can't see them running back a worse team then last year. Not when they got so close.

Miller-Fox
Lindgren-Schneider
Jones-Trouba

This does not excite me.
Who is even out there that can be had in a trade?

We really should have been in on Walker. 3/3.6 is so doable
And obviously Chychrun .

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008

And obviously Chychrun .
I have a feeling Trouba being trade and us signing walker was plan A……
When that hit a snag, walker wasn’t waiting around and immediately signed with Canes.
Tbh, I thought he’d prob get 4-4.5 mill on only a 5 yr contract instead of max 7

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Ummm. It’s not hypocritical. It’s situational. For NYR he is an albatross. He’s a 3d pair d here being paid 8mil on a team up against the cap. For a team that needs some veteran leadership, that needs to reach the salary floor, that Trouba should possibly play 2nd pairing for, he’s NOT an albatross. It really isn’t that difficult a concept. Hence Detroit looking to take him, while NYR are desperate to move him… the wind is blowing both ways at the same time I guess.
And you saying that the athletes and agents have the power, and everyone knows it, bolsters my point. They are the ones strong arming, and acting in bad faith if the rumors are true. Whatever NYR do within the legal constraints of the contract will be seen in that light. It’s a business, you are just getting a bit dramatic over it. McDonough, after being threatened with waivers by Tampa to get him to okay a trade he was opposed to, WILLINGLY WENT BACK TO THAT TEAM. You’re making mountains out of molehills.
You did not say for the rangers he's an albatross, you made an absolute statement that the entire league can see he's an albatross.

You are imposing a double standard. Whatever nyr does within the legal constraints is okay but it's not okay for a player to refuse to report and then forfeit his contract?

At the end of the day the real issue here isn't trouba bc if he forfeited his contract a lot of people would be happy to get him and the entire deal gone. The issue is he's willing to take things to that point and it appears nyr has no interest with the negative PR of pushing things to that point otherwise they would just do it.

You think there wasn't any behind the scenes discussions with the bolts, press, and MCD before he went back? Come on...

And obviously Chychrun .
Maybe they were? And maybe a player said that they didn't want to come to NYC and play for the rangers. I know that's hard for people to grasp but it happens...

Uglybstrd

Apr 10, 2012
I was just looking at the Rangers roster @ Capfriendly and noticed we had almost 8,1 mill in capspace. But thats with only 4 defenders, Lindgren and Schneider needs new contracts.

What is realistic numbers for them? Schneider around 2,5 mill and Lindgren around 3,5-4,0 mill? And term?

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Why should we move on when a single player is purposely hurting the team we support by handcuffing them because he refuses to act like an adult. He's been a liability for years and no amount of helmet throwing will make up for it. It's time to waive him and see how long he's willing to play in HFD. We'll see if his pampered ass enjoys playing there and visiting all the other amazing cities on the AHL circuit.

I honestly have no idea how anyone can support Trouba throughout this entire process. Look I am 100% supportive of not trying to force him to one of the 15 teams on the M-NTC, but if he and his agent are purposes sabotaging any chances of trading him to the other teams I wont accept that
As I said in another post, if that's how you feel about it and you think the rangers are completely right then they should just wave him, let him refuse to report, terminate his contract, and then you'll get exactly what you want which is all the cap space and him off the roster. If it's that easy then why doesn't it just happen?

Did the Blackhawks fold as an organization? No. Did that stop players from playing in Chicago? No. Didn't Quennville and a handful of other guys get cleared to re-enter the league? Yup. Wow, what a slap on the wrist - You can't have a job in this league..but only for a little bit. And now they'll be hired and all is forgiven and forgotten. So to answer your question, basically nothing happened to them except they had to change jobs for a bit while everything died down until people stopped caring.

The Rangers as an organization will live on past this extremely minor situation if another organization can survive something as actually serious as assault cover-up is the point I was making, not that Trouba exercising a clause in his contract is the same as assault. Wtf?

People wanted Quennville as this team's coach before Lavi was picked. No one in the league gives a shit after a while, that's the sad truth sometimes. A team trying to trade a player and that player exercising a clause in his contract to not be traded is such a nothing story; what made it a story was that it was leaked to the media that everything was already done and dusted when it wasn't. Ultimately it will have zero impact on anything as far as players wanting to play for NYR.
I can't believe that you're actually going to double down on this and try to create a parallel between the two situations. The people that were involved in that primarily got penalized and removed from the team in the league for a while. I don't see any way that Drury is going to be suspended by the NHL for doing something that the team can actually do by sending him to the AHL So I'm not really sure what you're trying to get at. If You don't think that there are players that avoided Chicago because of the beach situation then you have your head in the sand. You can say whatever more you want about us but I'm not going to engage in any more conversation that compares trouba's situation to the horrific realities that were Kyle Beach

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
You did not say for the rangers he's an albatross, you made an absolute statement that the entire league can see he's an albatross.

You are imposing a double standard. Whatever nyr does within the legal constraints is okay but it's not okay for a player to refuse to report and then forfeit his contract?

At the end of the day the real issue here isn't trouba bc if he forfeited his contract a lot of people would be happy to get him and the entire deal gone. The issue is he's willing to take things to that point and it appears nyr has no interest with the negative PR of pushing things to that point otherwise they would just do it.

You think there wasn't any behind the scenes discussions with the bolts, press, and MCD before he went back? Come on...

Maybe they were? And maybe a player said that they didn't want to come to NYC and play for the rangers. I know that's hard for people to grasp but it happens...
It doesn’t happen

• Haha
Reactions: bleedblue94

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
Seriously though...

Miller-Fox
Lindgren-Schneider
Jones-Trouba

This does not excite me.
There isn't much they can do aside from big trades that rarely happen these days. Rangers will win a ton of games but still have massive holes that the realists will complain about all year. I do not expect a presidents trophy but playoffs must be a lock. In any position. Cup...eh not thinking that.

ReddestRum

Sad even when winning
Dec 19, 2013
Seriously though...

Miller-Fox
Lindgren-Schneider
Jones-Trouba

This does not excite me.

New York Leafs.

Just keep f***ing running it back with the same goddamn holes from the previous year that we try to fix with useless rentals.

Drury f***ed this team up, tried to fix it by dishing out all of our picks, and is afraid to make a big change to get us over the blue ball ECF hump. There were some decent RFA's this week. Expensive? Sure, but we need to win a cup NOW.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
As I said in another post, if that's how you feel about it and you think the rangers are completely right then they should just wave him, let him refuse to report, terminate his contract, and then you'll get exactly what you want which is all the cap space and him off the roster. If it's that easy then why doesn't it just happen?

I can't believe that you're actually going to double down on this and try to create a parallel between the two situations. The people that were involved in that primarily got penalized and removed from the team in the league for a while. I don't see any way that Drury is going to be suspended by the NHL for doing something that the team can actually do by sending him to the AHL So I'm not really sure what you're trying to get at. If You don't think that there are players that avoided Chicago because of the beach situation then you have your head in the sand. You can say whatever more you want about us but I'm not going to engage in any more conversation that compares trouba's situation to the horrific realities that were Kyle Beach
Buddy, YOU are the one drawing the 1-to-1 parallel between the situations. I'm saying organizations have survived things much worse than a less-than-amicable split from a player. That's the last reply I'm going to give you on this topic because I literally can't make it any more clear than that.

Atax

Apr 7, 2011
Buddy, YOU are the one drawing the 1-to-1 parallel between the situations. I'm saying organizations have survived things much worse than a less-than-amicable split from a player. That's the last reply I'm going to give you on this topic because I literally can't make it any more clear than that.
Yeah don’t waste your time and energy.

Graves97

Jan 16, 2014
We’re 4 days into the offseason. Given they’ve missed out on most free agents at this point, I imagine they’re waiting to try and work this out with a trade partner that works for both sides.

Reactions: Daves a mess

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
Seriously though...

Miller-Fox
Lindgren-Schneider
Jones-Trouba

This does not excite me.
If the roster is the same it’s up to Lavi to develop this team. There are players that need a bigger role. There are players who need a lesser one as well. We could have a very different look with just a few key moves, mainly:

-Laffy power play in Zibanejad’s place. It’s time to start leaning on this kid. He’s the future.
-Zibanejad and Kredier split up, lesser roles, less ice time
-split Lindy and fox, it’s time to commit to miller-fox as the #1 pair.

-Othmann, Berard, Jones all could have a nice impact. Cuylle taking a bigger role could change the dynamic as well.

archanfelnsx

Feb 25, 2018
Trade or waive Trouba somehow this summer. Trade Kakko, Lindgren, Sykora and a 1st for one year of Marner (who you can trade next offseason). Sign Kylington and Boqvist (or veteran RD) for your D at under 1.75 Million AAV each.

Kreider-Zibanejad-Marner
Panarin-Trocheck-Lafreniere
Cuylle-Chytil-Smith
Vesey-Carrick-Rempe

Kylington-Fox
Miller-Schneider
Jones-Boqvist/Veteran RD

Shesterkin
Quick

Brodzinski and Edstrom as extras

About 1.8 million in cap space to start the season.

This Trouba situation has really thrown a wrench into this offseason. Surely Drury had that cap space ear marked for a couple decent UFA’s who have now signed elsewhere.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Even if Lindgren and Trouba are staying, he has to get another NHL dman, the depth in Hartford ain’t it to step in for an injured player.

Reactions: Atax

ReddestRum

Sad even when winning
Dec 19, 2013
If the roster is the same it’s up to Lavi to develop this team. There are players that need a bigger role. There are players who need a lesser one as well. We could have a very different look with just a few key moves, mainly:

-Laffy power play in Zibanejad’s place. It’s time to start leaning on this kid. He’s the future.
-Zibanejad and Kredier split up, lesser roles, less ice time
-split Lindy and fox, it’s time to commit to miller-fox as the #1 pair.

-Othmann, Berard, Jones all could have a nice impact. Cuylle taking a bigger role could change the dynamic as well.

I will take a three game healthy scratch board ban if we do at least one of these moves. Laf isn't replacing Zib on the PP as it was one of the hottest last year. 17% of our cap isn't taking less ice time for shit. The NHL is really big on seniority and I can't see Miller moving up and taking Lind's place. Trouba seems to be the special case for someone making as much as he does (and still f***ing sucking) getting line demoted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad