Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

FinRanger

Jan 15, 2013

Trouba on the point man feed the D!

Rangers shouldn't trade our Captain! Just stick with it. Give him more minutes on top pair and embrace it. Trouba train all day all night baby! Big bounce back season incoming.

Reactions: DevilDog99

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
The start of this post is ridiculous. For over a week people on this board defiantly posted that if he was on waivers he would absolutely be claimed blah blah blah. Now "The entire league can see that Trouba is an albatross at his cap hit, everyone can see he is massively under performing his contract."

Holy hypocritical. Guess it depends the direction the wind is blowing around here.

At the end of the day it's his right to not report and to violate and forfeight his contract.

People are acting like athletes and agents don't have power and that's ridiculous. They have had it for decades behind the scenes and now it is coming to the fore more and people are getting mad. It's all over the NBA and NFL. Listen to former executives and they will acknowledge it only after they retire. It's what it is.
Ummm. It’s not hypocritical. It’s situational. For NYR he is an albatross. He’s a 3d pair d here being paid 8mil on a team up against the cap. For a team that needs some veteran leadership, that needs to reach the salary floor, that Trouba should possibly play 2nd pairing for, he’s NOT an albatross. It really isn’t that difficult a concept. Hence Detroit looking to take him, while NYR are desperate to move him… the wind is blowing both ways at the same time I guess.
And you saying that the athletes and agents have the power, and everyone knows it, bolsters my point. They are the ones strong arming, and acting in bad faith if the rumors are true. Whatever NYR do within the legal constraints of the contract will be seen in that light. It’s a business, you are just getting a bit dramatic over it. McDonough, after being threatened with waivers by Tampa to get him to okay a trade he was opposed to, WILLINGLY WENT BACK TO THAT TEAM. You’re making mountains out of molehills.

AirGut

Jul 1, 2019
Larry Brooks Bus Stop
www.capfriendly.com

Trouba on the point man feed the D!

Rangers shouldn't trade our Captain! Just stick with it. Give him more minutes on top pair and embrace it. Trouba train all day all night baby! Big bounce back season incoming.

37637378.JPG

• Love
Reactions: FinRanger

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Aside from the Reilly trade, Rangers haven’t done much. I think one day we will learn that Drury had some bigger ideas but was unable to trade Trouba in time.

Reactions: Barnaby

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
Panarin took half a mil less to not play for the Islanders.
Kreider/Mika took market fair deals.
Fox didnt take less to play here. I dont know what your talking about. He's tied for the 5th highest defensemen in the league.

Trouba can have all the reasons in the world not to be moved. But he can only block 15 teams. The team can do whatever they want with him.
Mika left at least 1 mil on the table. The sentiment was that he was going to get 9+ in FA.

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
I’m pretty sure Ronogos originated on this board in like 2014-16? At least in my mind it did. Did we do Rongos avatars one year? think of it as a semi endearing half lighthearted half insulting term I always was good w using on here because we are in “the club.” Like calling them a bunch of bozos or something.

Rags, as far as I am aware, has never been used by NYR fans. And is a straight up insult from Isles fans alive in the 80s but also now accidentally used by neutral fans who don’t know any better because the word(s) for its original reference have changed.
We did, I helped make thise avatars lmao. The shitty MS Paint ones

Reactions: Ail

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I don't exactly know what the deal with our d is but I'd see a scenario where both Othmann and Berard are on the roster by the new year, imo we need to add more hungry youth to this team. Berard to me is the guy we've been waiting for since Fast left and Othmann our future Callahan/Dubinsky guy.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Dolan should issue a lifetime ban for the billboard morons
I am sure they are really happy with the internet clout they received for it but basically mocking a billionaire/their team in their own backyard was never going to help the Rangers out whatsoever

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
This is missing nuance. Mika was already trending toward a PP merchant before he signed the extension, but we were an over a barrel & his agent knew it. When they didn't pursue Eichel, they had no choice but to give Mika a wheelbarrow full of cash. However, they didn't need to structure the deal where it was completely one sided toward the player by not only handing him the full NMC, they also made it completely buy-out proof as well.
I would have traded for Eichel, and moved Zibby. I was very very vocal about that…
Drury sided with the fan base that didn’t want to give 1 of Kakko/Laf in the deal.. ( 99% it was Kakko) Laf was 1st 1OA pick by NY in forever, there is also many other reasons to believe Kakko was the hold up on the piece going to Buffalo, but I digress.
They chose to stick with Zibby and keep Kakko + package going the other way. It was wrong then, and it’s wrong now.
Both contacts have NMCs not. Eichel waived his to be traded and Zibby got 1 on his new deal which was basically par for the course at the time.
If you look at the comparables, Couterier in Philly almost has a mirror contract signed the same year.
Besides 1RD, center is the position that gets the most favorable contracts. Top end centers are next to impossible to find.
At the time Zibby was a consistent 80-90pt scorer and average to slightly above average defender.
He signed for market price. I’m not mad at that.
I’m mad that Eichel was already signed for 1.5mill more per season and had 5 years left on his deal from age 25-30

He already proved more at younger age/talent wise the. Zibby. We were gaining 5 years of youth at the position, upgrading it in skill ( how much of an upgrade at the time is debatable, but upgrade nonetheless),
We would have also recouped assets for moving Zibby at the peak of his performance. We wouldn’t have had enough cap room at the time to keep both beyond 1 season.
There were just way too many positives in trading for Eichel and dealing Zibby.

The only negatives were how he’d rebound from injury/surgery…..
And Zibby has been here already and had chemistry with Kreider and the rest of our guys…….

I bet every single person on here wishes now we can trot out a line of
Kreider-Eichel-Laf
Or
Panarin-Eichel-Laf

To start next season right about now. The rangers went with the devil they know, and it cost them. Eichel went to Vegas and won his 1st cup and had a great playoff performance…

What’s done is done now. Zibby is here to stay. Imo, the only way he asks to waive his NMC is if when Trouba/Panarin contracts expire, rangers also trade Kreider.
At that point, all that will be left of that group is Zibby and captain Trochek. and I can see Tro getting on his case for soft play. Might not make for the most hospitable place for Zibby to play.

Last edited:

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Can't remember what you never knew...
what's the story behind the refusal?
That was after the billboard incident and he was asked publicly on a radio show. What’s he going to say????
Fact of the matter is the rangers were fishing around Eichel a year prior when it became public he was unhappy in Buffalo……
Pegula didn’t come out with the refuse to deal him to NYR schtick until after Brooks reported in the post that Drury/NYR would not include Kakko or Laf in the package going back to Buffalo.

Dolan should issue a lifetime ban for the billboard morons
This is correct. Pegula only made those comments on the radio after the billboard was put up and Brooks reported Laf or Kakko would not be included in any way going back to Buf.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
I would have traded for Eichel, and moved Zibby. I was very very vocal about that…
Drury sided with the fan base that didn’t want to give 1 of Kakko/Laf in the deal.. ( 99% it was Kakko) Laf was 1st 1OA pick by NY in forever, there is also many other reasons to believe Kakko was the hold up on the piece going to Buffalo, but I digress.
They chose to stick with Zibby and keep Kakko + package going the other way. It was wrong then, and it’s wrong now.
Both contacts have NMCs not. Eichel waived his to be traded and Zibby got 1 on his new deal which was basically par for the course at the time.
If you look at the comparables, Couterier in Philly almost has a mirror contract signed the same year.
Besides 1RD, center is the position that gets the most favorable contracts. Top end centers are next to impossible to find.
At the time Zibby was a consistent 80-90pt scorer and average to slightly above average defender.
He signed for market price. I’m not mad at that.
I’m mad that Eichel was already signed for 1.5mill more per season and had 5 years left on his deal from age 25-30

He already proved more at younger age/talent wise the. Zibby. We were gaining 5 years of youth at the position, upgrading it in skill ( how much of an upgrade at the time is debatable, but upgrade nonetheless),
We would have also recouped assets for moving Zibby at the peak of his performance. We wouldn’t have had enough cap room at the time to keep both beyond 1 season.
There were just way too many positives in trading for Eichel and dealing Zibby.

The only negatives were how he’d rebound from injury/surgery…..
And Zibby has been here already and had chemistry with Kreider and the rest of our guys…….

I bet every single person on here wishes now we can trot out a line of
Kreider-Eichel-Laf
Or
Panarin-Eichel-Laf

To start next season right about now. The rangers went with the devil they know, and it cost them. Eichel went to Vegas and won his 1st cup and had a great playoff performance…

What’s done is done now. Zibby is here to stay. Imo, the only way he asks to waive his NMC is if when Trouba/Panarin contracts expire, rangers also trade Kreider.
At that point, all that will be left of that group is Zibby and captain Trochek. and I can see Tro getting on his case for soft play. Might now make for the most hospitable place for Zibby to play.
Hindsight is 20/20, but I wasn't advocating one way or the other in my post whether they should've made the deal or not. The bottom line is when they didn't pursue Eichel, they were forced to sign Zib. They weren't forced to back themselves into a corner with no exit strategy, however. I hated that deal from the moment it was signed simply because of the NMC & the fact that it's buy-out proof.

Personally I wasn't sure if Eichel was the right move back then. Kakko & Laf were still too much of an unknown & it was much too soon to know what you had (or in Kakko's case didn't have) with either of them. Giving one of them up was too big of risk at that point in time. Considering what Vegas ultimately gave up, Buffalo might've demanded both of them from us, plus an additional 1st rounder (2 total) simply cause it's the Rangers Tax.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Hindsight is 20/20, but I wasn't advocating one way or the other in my post whether they should've made the deal or not. The bottom line is when they didn't pursue Eichel, they were forced to sign Zib. They weren't forced to back themselves into a corner with no exit strategy, however. I hated that deal from the moment it was signed simply because of the NMC & the fact that it's buy-out proof.

Personally I wasn't sure if Eichel was the right move back then. Kakko & Laf were still too much of an unknown & it was much too soon to know what you had (or in Kakko's case didn't have) with either of them. Giving one of them up was too big of risk at that point in time. Considering what Vegas ultimately gave up, Buffalo might've demanded both of them from us, plus an additional 1st rounder (2 total) simply cause it's the Rangers Tax.
I didn’t like the Zibby deal either, but it’s pretty much par for the course other Low end 1Cs were signing for around the league. And they all had similar clauses attached.

From all the rumors I remember adding 1 of Kakko/Laf was the rangers tax

Buffalo wanted 1st-2 young players and prospect.
The rumored deal adams wanted back from NYR at the time was
Kakko+ Chytil+ Kravtsov or Jones+ 1st Rd pick……..

I don’t know the particulars but that’s akin to what Buffalo wanted and received at the time by Vegas.

2 roster players + prospect+ pick…

They would likely at least get young player+1st back for Zibby when they dealt him as well….

The timing was weird too. Gorton. Was sniffing around a year prior, then Drury took over the following season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad