Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
Guess it's all how you see it. Rongos, I have clown music going in my head. Rags, is exactly what those Swamp Thing offspring meant it to be
💯

Rongos isn't even a slur nickname like Rags is (btw do people lovingly call the Devil's Debs and Isles Piles? No! It's with malice). Rongo more like an action of being. A dao.

Reactions: Gordon Bombay

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
They now have a child to care for. Boatloads of money or not, nannies/help/etc or not, maybe Trouba doesn't want to be away from his newborn child for the first ~1-2 years of their life.

These guys love to call themselves or their teammates "warriors". Well there a ton of guys in the actual military whose wives have given birth while they're deployed & they don't get to meet their kids for 2-3 years after they're born. I'm not sorry if I have very little sympathy for someone making $8M a year who was already going to be away from home half the time & can fly back during bye weeks, holiday breaks, all-star breaks, etc to see his family.

Whether he's a Ranger or not, they already have some type of child care in place. They'd have to. There is no way in hell that they're schedules don't overlap where neither of them is in a position to babysit their newborn. Pro athletes have dealt with this issue for over a hundred years & they've made it work. Trouba simply wants special treatment. He pulled this shit previously in Winnipeg,...the writing was on the wall before we acquired him, but Gorton chose to ignore it.

Tbf, it's like people keep ignoring that this was Gorton's regime, as they they bitch about Drury.

Perhaps not your exact point, but an adjacent though as I've been watching him cursed by fans all over here and X.

Drury was the Grand Vizier pulling the strings
I remind you that Drury said "hold my beer" when he decided to give Mika 8 f***ing years with a full NMC.

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
This is why we need to be able to visit all the alternate universes. I would love to read the HF responses from the timeline where Drury balks at Mika's asking price and trades him at '22 TDL (while he's having a ppg season)
To be honest the board would have loved it.

Reactions: DevilDog99

lakeshirts37

Jun 25, 2019
Not entirely buying this. Besides the fact that Trouba is objectively terrible and a liability both on the offensive and defensive ends and commits mind-numbingly stupid and unnecessary penalties that cost the team, we would be looking to trade Panarin if it was just about the money. Panarin is earning 3-4M more than Trouba, has way more value than Trouba (despite sucking in the playoffs, he's one of the best performers during the regular season) and Panarin's absence would lead to Lafreniere playing his natural position of LW in the top-6.

Still sour over the Panthers series. You can't argue that he completely disappeared...though he wasn't the only one. But the Krieder-Zibanejad bromance is f***ing gross.
Trouba = 3LD @ 8m
Panarin = 1LW @ 11m

its about the money…what are you talking about?

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
To be honest the board would have loved it.
It would have been a great time. 195 games for 199 points at the start of taht season, and then going at ppg pace. The haul would have been large but mostly speculative, and would have left us with Strome and Chytil (and Barron i guess) as our only centers. The comments from all sides would have been glorious

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
Love fun. Hate derogatory nicknames for a team you’re supposedly a fan of. Never found it humorous whatsoever.

And it’s funny, too, because championship drought aside the Rangers have probably made the playoffs more than any other NY Metro team over the last 20 years. They’re hardly terrible.
Ah so I'm not a fan now, cool.

They can be successful and still do dumb shit. Didn't say they weren't good.

You go off though, I'll keep calling them the rongos if I want, you can throw me and half the board on ignore if it truly bothers you that much.

Last edited:
Reactions: UnSandvich

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
This is why we need to be able to visit all the alternate universes. I would love to read the HF responses from the timeline where Drury balks at Mika's asking price and trades him at '22 TDL (while he's having a ppg season)
This is missing nuance. Mika was already trending toward a PP merchant before he signed the extension, but we were a over a barrel & his agent knew it. When they didn't pursue Eichel, they had no choice but to give Mika a wheelbarrow full of cash. However, they didn't need to structure the deal where it was completely one sided toward the player by not only handing him the full NMC, they also made it completely buy-out proof as well.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
I’m pretty sure Ronogos originated on this board in like 2014-16? At least in my mind it did. Did we do Rongos avatars one year? think of it as a semi endearing half lighthearted half insulting term I always was good w using on here because we are in “the club.” Like calling them a bunch of bozos or something.

Rags, as far as I am aware, has never been used by NYR fans. And is a straight up insult from Isles fans alive in the 80s but also now accidentally used by neutral fans who don’t know any better because the word(s) for its original reference have changed.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
I dont think Detroit as a whole is done. They moved out $4M cap hit in a trade tonight. They have a bit over $20M in cap space though that includes 4 goalies on the roster.

They need to add at least 4 more forwards (One being Raymond) and another 2 Dmen (one being Seider).

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Ah so I'm not a fan now, cool.

They can be successful and still do dumb shit. Didn't say they weren't good.

You go off though, I'll keep calling them the rongos if I want, you can throw me and half the board on ignore if it truly bothers you that much.

I have nobody on ignore. Do what you want.

Slurring your own team with shitty nicknames and calling yourself a “fan” and all. Call them dumb all you want. Call them dumbass nicknames from rival fan bases? That makes you look like less of a fan. Plain and simple.

Filip Chytil

Mar 3, 2014
I’m pretty sure Ronogos originated on this board in like 2014-16? At least in my mind it did. Did we do Rongos avatars one year? think of it as a semi endearing half lighthearted half insulting term I always was good w using on here because we are in “the club.” Like calling them a bunch of bozos or something.

Rags, as far as I am aware, has never been used by NYR fans. And is a straight up insult from Isles fans alive in the 80s but also now accidentally used by neutral fans who don’t know any better because the word(s) for its original reference have changed.

I always thought @Machinehead coined the term Rongos

KennyWu

Oct 14, 2010

Correct, it came from the Dolan/Gooby memes if I recall correctly. There were playoff avatar and everything.

Reactions: Ail and DialUp

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
Mika at 5.5 AAV for another year was such a great trade asset. They could’ve asked a shitty team for basically anyone

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
This is missing nuance. Mika was already trending toward a PP merchant before he signed the extension, but we were an over a barrel & his agent knew it. When they didn't pursue Eichel, they had no choice but to give Mika a wheelbarrow full of cash. However, they didn't need to structure the deal where it was completely one sided toward the player by not only handing him the full NMC, they also made it completely buy-out proof as well.
Do people really not remember why Buffalo’s owner refused to deal Eichel to the Rangers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad