Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
I just don’t get the doom and gloom outrage. This team is a few, still achievable, moves away from being a better version of last year’s team. Laff, Cuyle will be better, there’s no way Kakko can be worse. I expect similar performance from Fox, Kreider, Tro, Panarin. Less points from Panarin for sure. Mika and Miller are the two biggest question marks/ xfactors, Trouba aside. And they’ll probably be a kid in lineup too. The dramatics are off the charts.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
The country club comments are weird. The Rangers didn't lose this year because of effort, they lost because they just weren't as good as Florida. And the biggest reason we weren't is because our d-men cannot move pucks for shit (specifically Trouba & Lindgren). Upgrading even one of them could have made a difference in that series.

I will say if both those guys are back next year, we are f***ed and there's no real reason to watch. It would be a shame because upgrading both of them to non-grenade handlers and a healthy Fox would make us real contenders.

I'm fairly confident Mika, Panarin & Kreids would have also had a better playoffs if they had anyone move them puck efficiently.
I don't think the country club remarks are relating to on-ice effort, but to how the players publicly react to common hockey happenings and their comfort in saying they disapprove of the FO/coach in making team-related decisions. Nothing the FO does seems to sit well with any of the players and somehow it always comes out that they're all unhappy with how they're treated. Players that have passed through NYR have had no problem publicly saying the FO is f***ing up in some fashion (even while being on the team) and how upset they are with how something was handled or someone was treated. I don't follow another team as closely as NYR so I don't know how often it happens with other orgs. I know there definitely have been other players publicly comment on being blindsided by being traded.

I mentioned it somewhere that since Zuke was traded in 2019, there's been at least 1 player that comes out in the off-season and chastises the FO. Zuke - and the rest of the team - was upset over being traded, Andersson was upset that he couldn't rehab the way he wanted, Krav was upset that he got yelled at in front of teammates, everyone was upset with Ramsay being let go, Strome/Kakko/etc were upset with the way Quinn did everything, Trouba and Goodrow - and the rest of the team - are upset with the way things are being/were handled with them being moved. There's always "rumblings" with this team. Again I don't know if that's below/at/above average, but it never felt as frequent from NYR players before Zuke's trade.

I understand being down that a professional friend is moved to another team, or that they themselves are being moved. I get that it sucks to not have someone around whose company you enjoyed in a professional setting. I don't understand how their feelings of discontent always becomes the focal point of every transaction now.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
I just don’t get the doom and gloom outrage. This team is a few, still achievable, moves away from being a better version of last year’s team. Laff, Cuyle will be better, there’s no way Kakko can be worse. I expect similar performance from Fox, Kreider, Tro, Panarin. Less points from Panarin for sure. Mika and Miller are the two biggest question marks/ xfactors, Trouba aside. And they’ll probably be a kid in lineup too. The dramatics are off the charts.
uhhh....the defense???

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Edstrom, Rempe, Berard, Othmann, Scanlin and Mancini should get long looks in camp and given every opportunity to make the club. That's not a bad thing if they are ready.

Also remember, we are just 3 days into July. The Brassard for Zib trade happened out of no where in mid July.

With the kids, could potentially look at lines like:

Kreider - Zib - Othmann/Smith
Panarin - Tro - Laff
Othemann/Berard/Cuylle/Smith - Chytil - Kakko
Some combo of Berard/Cuylle/Carrick/Vesey/Edstrom/Rempe/Brodz for the 4th line

Reactions: Pawnee Rangers

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
1720040732384.jpeg

Reactions: Atax

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
We are running out of second round picks to trade
If a kid breaks into the lineup, trade kakko for a pick. They have other plays the could use to recoup picks if this season goes sideways But is it out of the realm of possibility that Miller removes his head from his ass or Jones turns into the kind of player so many posters here are certain he is? I’m not saying they’re perfect or have no holes to fill. Very few teams have that luxury But they’re not as bad people are acting.

Reactions: Atax

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
And that cheap POS went, lol. I still can’t believe we signed that stinky Debbie. What a waste of space.

Not sure what was better - his sorry ass riding a bus in Winnipeg Winter or his epic flame out as Debbie coach. Tough call…
Glen Sather:
Break the arm of one our players. Here’s a contract.
Next:
Concuss Blair Betts. Donald Brashear, here’s a contract.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
We know that Drury asked for his list early. We also know they didn’t provide it. The talks of a Detroit deal that is being worked on leak. At which point Trouba and his agent get together and say “how can we build a NTC list that ensures we stay put for another season”

It’s pretty obvious what they’ve done. The teams that have the space go on the list, and the teams that don’t have the space or the interest don’t.

The whole no reporting if even traded hasn’t been said by anyone but Larry. And based on this story, nobody should be taking what he says as gospel.
Larry also said there is more than 1 interested team….. like many of us have been saying, Trouba at 30 years old to 32
With 6mill real$$ and a 8 cap hit wouldn’t need to pile on assets to move him……
How anyone can take Troubas side in this is beyond me…. I’m also one of the people that has defended him most on these boards.
His wife needs her residency and he just had a new born…….
So what?????
What a crock of shit

Did I want to commute 2hours to work each way for 10 years??? No

There are people from all walks of life that have to move for their jobs, and sometimes it’s for longer than a year….
They do it because it’s their JOB.
And they don’t get millions of dollars to do it……..
The simple truth is he doesn’t want anything to interfere with how his life is right now, and he can afford to say he won’t report and void his contract, even though it’s prob a bluff….. teams picking him up on waivers figure why even bother??
Rangers gave up a lot to get him. They paid him a lot of $$$ and didn’t try to move him while his NMC was in affect. It’s not in affect anymore, so now there’s an issue?????
Are some of you guys serious???
I make Trouba an example here, and make sure kreids and zibby are watching closely.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
If a kid breaks into the lineup, trade kakko for a pick. They have other plays the could use to recoup picks if this season goes sideways But is it out of the realm of possibility that Miller removes his head from his ass or Jones turns into the kind of player so many posters here are certain he is? I’m not saying they’re perfect or have no holes to fill. Very few teams have that luxury But they’re not as bad people are acting.
so unsurprising that the "this team is right there, everyone's gonna improve so just run it back" guy is also the "trade useless kakko for a pick" guy.

Rongo nation stand up, y'all

Reactions: tiggles

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I don't think the country club remarks are relating to on-ice effort, but to how the players publicly react to common hockey happenings and their comfort in saying they disapprove of the FO/coach in making team-related decisions. Nothing the FO does seems to sit well with any of the players and somehow it always comes out that they're all unhappy with how they're treated. Players that have passed through NYR have had no problem publicly saying the FO is f***ing up in some fashion (even while being on the team) and how upset they are with how something was handled or someone was treated. I don't follow another team as closely as NYR so I don't know how often it happens with other orgs. I know there definitely have been other players publicly comment on being blindsided by being traded.

I mentioned it somewhere that since Zuke was traded in 2019, there's been at least 1 player that comes out in the off-season and chastises the FO. Zuke - and the rest of the team - was upset over being traded, Andersson was upset that he couldn't rehab the way he wanted, Krav was upset that he got yelled at in front of teammates, everyone was upset with Ramsay being let go, Strome/Kakko/etc were upset with the way Quinn did everything, Trouba and Goodrow - and the rest of the team - are upset with the way things are being/were handled with them being moved. There's always "rumblings" with this team. Again I don't know if that's below/at/above average, but it never felt as frequent from NYR players before Zuke's trade.

I understand being down that a professional friend is moved to another team, or that they themselves are being moved. I get that it sucks to not have someone around whose company you enjoyed in a professional setting. I don't understand how their feelings of discontent always becomes the focal point of every transaction now.
Dude players get emotional. It’s part of the business.
JAM just said Vegas didn’t do enough to keep him
Stamkos, another captain and better player said the same about his only beloved franchise
NYR have had their share too.
McD was crushed when Tampa moved him, now he’s excited to be back…..

It’s part of the business and it’s cold, but it still has to be done for the good of the hockey clubs…..
I’m sure his agent didn’t tell him around contract time, now Jake let’s take a team friendly deal and we’ll get a full NMc for the contracts entirety……
They make the most they can when they can. Unfortunately, the cap situation just doesn’t make sense for most guys to finish out the full deals they sign with the teams that gave them that contract.

They don’t take their ball and go home and say I quit… if I won’t play for another team for 2 years…..
Complete nonsense

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad