Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
Trading Lindgren and signing Kylington would be great. Kylington is a low risk-high reward play.

The reality is our team isn't smart enough or creative enough to do anything interesting, bold or special. You know? Like the stuff winners do.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Have you seen next year and who has to be signed? They CAN’T let it “run out” unless you’re willing to lose one of Igor, KAM, or LAF to do it.

It’s a better option than keeping him.
I think they will trade him with an asset attached before using a buyout on him next offseason if it comes to that. Buyout is a last resort.

Reactions: Tob

Jack Hanson

Oct 5, 2023
Lets say we cant move Trouba and its too costly to buy him out and even if we put on waivers no team would claim him. Then keep him on bottom line of D, take the C and give to Kreider, the hat trick in period 3 against Carolina winning round 2 earned it.

Trade Lindgren and Kakko. Use money to get a solid defenseman as that evidently is our weakness.

Chytil returning plus Smith make our offense already improved. Give Rempe a spot as well.

This coming season we could be ok. Maybe Trouba's ankle heals and he wants to prove himself and he does ok. But he cant keep the C and needs to be on bottom D line as penance. Also Jones may prove himself.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Still blaming Drury because the whiny bitch ran away? Please. And just where is Kravsoft killing it in the NHL?
Well by your first statement I know this is a lost cause.

But it doesn’t matter what Kravstov is now, Drury handled the situation wrong and it ended up with the team turning a top 10 pick into a f***ing 7th round pick

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
I love Marty Necas. His situation is not settled. He wants a change of scenery. I remember listening to EF discussing Necas a few weeks ago on 32T. He said Carolina believes Necas could become a star playing in another system which allows him to skate and carry the puck.

The Rangers trade Kreider to Buffalo for Quinn and 1st round pick and send that package to Carolina for Necas. Adams is under pressure to do something in Buffalo. Is Buffalo one of the 15 teams? Marty plays RW for the Rangers. Perhaps Laffy goes back to LW. Maybe Othmann takes that spot. It opens up LW for Perreault in the future. Opens up a spot on LW.

The Rangers have a country club atmosphere. It's NOT the Rangers hockey club. It's the players hockey club. Players HC. These players complaining about everything when the Garden treats them like kings is ridiculous and infuriating.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
One of the more underlooked aspects of this whole ordeal is that Drury clearly doesn’t learn from his past mistakes.

It’s obvious to me this whole mess is his/the teams doing.

He f***ed with Kravstov in a similar way, handling of a player that there was known history on what they would do in response. You’d think he would have learned and would have taken extra care considering this is the f***ing captain of the team

But alas, his offseason plans blew up in his face cause he doesn’t learn
Kravtsov sucked and ran home. TWICE. Once breaking his contract. Zero to do with the Trouba situation. Wah, his boss yelled at him. He proved in VAN that he just was not cut out for the NHL.

This Trouba thing, coming from an angle of complete ignorance on who has actually done what, as are YOU and everyone else, seems more on Trouba and his agent. All NYR apparently sought to do was trade him, as is their right under a M-NTC. Drury hasn't belittled Trouba, Trouba's PLAY has belittled Trouba, and IF it's true that his agent is spreading "he won't report" rumors, which would surprise me ZERO considering past actions of the agent, then f*** both the player and agent. The player is responsible for the agent that is doing his bidding.

I highly doubt it. The buyout is terrible and should not even be talked about. He will decline any trade out and by next year he only has 1 yr left anyway. We are not going to put him on waivers bc this assemble of players are a bunch of bitches. Just let the contract run out then get the 8m off the books along with Lindy. There is our money, plus then we can actually move out players like zibs and so forth. We are stuck
He can only decline trades to 15 teams, not "any trade." And next summer that number drops to 12 teams.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
I love Marty Necas. His situation is not settled. He wants a change of scenery. I remember listening to EF discussing Necas a few weeks ago on 32T. He said Carolina believes Necas could become a star playing in another system which allows him to skate and carry the puck.

The Rangers trade Kreider to Buffalo for Quinn and 1st round pick and send that package to Carolina for Necas. Adams is under pressure to do something in Buffalo. Is Buffalo one of the 15 teams? Marty plays RW for the Rangers. Perhaps Laffy goes back to LW. Maybe Othmann takes that spot. It opens up LW for Perreault in the future. Opens up a spot on LW.

The Rangers have a country club atmosphere. It's NOT the Rangers hockey club. It's the players hockey club. Players HC. These players complaining about everything when the Garden treats them like kings is ridiculous and infuriating.
I'm a big Necas stan as well. Wanted him or Suzuki at #7 overall in their draft year. He's a prime candidate to break out. Underlying numbers look great and he has the right physical attributes to be a star in this league.

I think Drury is trying to clear space for a trade for either Necas or Tuch. Someone with term that will be part of the team for a while.

The Rangers have some trade pieces but not many. Kakko and the 2025 1st gets close for Necas.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Kravtsov sucked and ran home. TWICE. Once breaking his contract. Zero to do with the Trouba situation. Wah, his boss yelled at him. He proved in VAN that he just was not cut out for the NHL.

This Trouba thing, coming from an angle of complete ignorance on who has actually done what, as are YOU and everyone else, seems more on Trouba and his agent. All NYR apparently sought to do was trade him, as is their right under a M-NTC. Drury hasn't belittled Trouba, Trouba's PLAY has belittled Trouba, and IF it's true that his agent is spreading "he won't report" rumors, which would surprise me ZERO considering past actions of the agent, then f*** both the player and agent. The player is responsible for the agent that is doing his bidding.
Again, you guys are missing the point.

If you want to think Kravstov is a baby then so be it. I’m talking about from an asset management and player management perspective, Drury dropped the ball. He knew Kravstov had reacted a certain way in the past and did the exact same thing that caused him to flee previously. Whilst in the middle of trying to move him, which cratered his value. Idk how anyone can say trading a top 10 pick for a 7th is anything but an unmitigated failure of asset and player management.

It’s the same concept here. We know Trouba and his agent acted a certain way to dictate where he was going to play trying to leave Winnipeg. It’s not like Trouba’s wife’s career is a f***ing secret. Drury should have known Trouba wasn’t going to be strong armed into doing something he doesn’t want to do.

And now there is egg all over the teams face

Graves97

Jan 16, 2014
So you think that the rangers putting their captain on waivers and sending him to the AHL is going to set a precedent for the NHL teams and a fact how 31 other teams operate and how 600 NHL players throughout the week operate? Could people be any more delusional lincoln that this isolated move would somehow I have a positive effect? The other players in your organization have already come to you and said they disagree with how you're handling this, are you seriously suggesting that if the rest of the team pushed back against this that the organization would just put half of them on waivers and send them to the AHL? It's a flight that the team cannot win right now. Sure they can send him down and try to make a power move But the long-term effects are going to be a lot more damaging than people realize
It's not about turning this into a management vs. players issue. The issue at hand is if Trouba has purposely been handcuffing the organization (outside of the M-NTC terms) in order to get his way. No single player should be more important than what is best for the organization. My loyalty will always be towards the Rangers.

We all understand being an athlete can be very difficult when it comes to family dynamics, but that's the tradeoff for making millions of dollars

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012

I really like Necas and think he has untapped potential

I just do not see it happening with our division rival

Reactions: leetch99

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
Again, you guys are missing the point.

If you want to think Kravstov is a baby then so be it. I’m talking about from an asset management and player management perspective, Drury dropped the ball. He knew Kravstov had reacted a certain way in the past and did the exact same thing that caused him to flee previously. Whilst in the middle of trying to move him, which cratered his value. Idk how anyone can say trading a top 10 pick for a 7th is anything but an unmitigated failure

It’s the same concept here. We know Trouba and his agent acted a certain way to dictate where he was going to play trying to leave Winnipeg. It’s not like Trouba’s wife’s career is a f***ing secret. Drury should have known Trouba wasn’t going to be strong armed into doing something he doesn’t want to do.

And know there is egg all over the teams face
As I remember it it was when Kravtsov FIRST ran home to mommy that Drury called him out, so you would be wrong. And if it was just before the second time, it's understandable to call him out for his past behavior. Most players don't break their contracts and flee the country because of something like that. The first time was contractually permitted, if still some weak ass shit.
And YOU are missing the point: even if you blame Drury for (rightly) calling out Krav, it has zero to do with Trouba. Did Drury call him out? NOPE. Simply looked to improve the team, AS IS HIS RESPONSIBILITY. You are comparing apples and elephants. It's nowhere NEAR the same concept. It's not strong arming someone to trade them when they have 16 teams they are contractually allowed to trade him to... It's Trouba and his agent that are possibly trying to force the issue if the "will not report" shit is true, which by your own admission of Trouba and his agent "acting a certain way" to force his way out of Winnipeg would more likely seem the case... What? Should Drury just capitulate? "Hey, I know we have the contractual RIGHT to trade you, AND its in the best interests of the team, AND it's my job/responsibility to better the team, but you're going to "act a certain way" so hey just stay as long as you like." Great way to run a team...

Reactions: OriginalLimbo

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
They now have a child to care for. Boatloads of money or not, nannies/help/etc or not, maybe Trouba doesn't want to be away from his newborn child for the first ~1-2 years of their life.
Maybe he should take off hockey for a year or two in that case. Or maybe he can request not to play in any away games so he can stay home.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
Maybe he should take off hockey for a year or two in that case. Or maybe he can request not to play in any away games so he can stay home.
I hear Hartford is kinda close to NY. Only a 2.5 hr drive from MSG to Hartford. Surely Trouba knows a pilot or something to speed up the transit.

And if he doesn't want to report to HFD, well..then he'd REALLY be able to spend a lot of time with his baby.

Graves97

Jan 16, 2014
View attachment 891808

Trouba probably had a broken ankle in every playoff since he’s been here, I’m sure this is the year it will get better in crunch time.
Yeah, its time to waive his ass and call his bluff with HFD. Hopefully he refuses to report and we can terminate his ridiculous contract. I'm sure we can find a league minimum player who knows the basics on positioning and can be a good cheerleader in the locker room.

archanfelnsx

Feb 25, 2018
Yeah, its time to waive his ass and call his bluff with HFD. Hopefully he refuses to report and we can terminate his ridiculous contract. I'm sure we can find a league minimum player who knows the basics on positioning and can be a good cheerleader in the locker room.
Hello Chad Ruehwedel. It’s time to waive Trouba and take the control out of his hands. During the regular season, you are on the road close to 50% of the time anyway. Being on another team doesn’t affect your family time as much as people think.

You can analyze next season’s schedule and see this for yourself.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I foresee Trouba retiring in a few years.

Hope I'm wrong, but the decline will continue. He may play out this contract, or if it's really bad, he will get bought out since no one would trade for him. Get a 1-2 year deal then retire

Reactions: Boris Zubov

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
Have you seen next year and who has to be signed? They CAN’T let it “run out” unless you’re willing to lose one of Igor, KAM, or LAF to do it.

It’s a better option than keeping him.

What has KAM done to deserve a new contract? If he doesn’t show up this year snd be better and more physical not make so many boneheaded defensive lapses id rather trade his ass.

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ

He can only decline trades to 15 teams, not "any trade." And next summer that number drops to 12 teams.

I mean that is true but that doesn’t stop him from using the 12 teams on teams that have the cap space, then the others won’t have cap space, and the leftovers won’t want him.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I mean that is true but that doesn’t stop him from using the 12 teams on teams that have the cap space, then the others won’t have cap space, and the leftovers won’t want him.
We know that Drury asked for his list early. We also know they didn’t provide it. The talks of a Detroit deal that is being worked on leak. At which point Trouba and his agent get together and say “how can we build a NTC list that ensures we stay put for another season”

It’s pretty obvious what they’ve done. The teams that have the space go on the list, and the teams that don’t have the space or the interest don’t.

The whole no reporting if even traded hasn’t been said by anyone but Larry. And based on this story, nobody should be taking what he says as gospel.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
It's his right, but doesn't MAKE it right, the list is meant to be places you don't want to play, not an attempt to turn your M-NTC into a NMC... Conversely it's Drury's right to trade or waive him... The point being I don't see a single underhanded or untoward thing Drury has done here, but Trouba "engineering" his list is bad faith, and IF the agent is spreading "won't report" rumors... well that IS extremely f***ed up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad