Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Of course.
Possible silver lining - maybe his initial plan sucked but his SECOND plan is not…how do the kids say it nowadays….ass.
putting a positive spin on it for sure.

You could make the case that he’s f***ed this free agency period up royally, starting with the dysfunction of the Trouba deal/non deal.

It’s quickly becoming show me time for Drury

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
If the Rangers FO was the source for Brooks columns, they should all be fired for trying to bully someone in the media to accept a trade instead of being professional about it like everyone else.

If it was Trouba's agent you release a statement about how unprofessional it is and never engage with that agent again.

Why does it take a guy with a chicken avatar to figure this out. What a f***ing embarassment.

Idk what to believe. We’ve seen some sources says it’s all cordial, some say there’s bad feelings. I think it’s playing out in the media because of Trouba’s agent. The constant throughout Trouba’s career has been tense public negotiations. Multiple teams. Not absolving the Rangers side of blame but there is a pattern.

Regardless of if he wanted to play here we offered Trouba a very very generous contract with a lot of RFA years and great job protection until his wife was supposed to be done her residency.

It sucks that it got delayed. And I know Trouba thinks their careers hold the same weight. But that’s really not the rangers problem as an organization- they have every right to waive him or trade him to a team not on his list.

If you don’t like it, should have given up more money to get the full no move. Not every countertop needs to be topaz encrusted quartz

Rangers are also not being vindictive here like it’s being made out. Trouba’s play made this an extremely easy decision. Drury could be out of a job too soon if they don’t win does that matter as much as the Trouba’s careers?

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Of course.

putting a positive spin on it for sure.

You could make the case that he’s f***ed this free agency period up royally, starting with the dysfunction of the Trouba deal/non deal.

It’s quickly becoming show me time for Drury
How did he f*** it up exactly on July 2nd? You can't trade somebody that nobody wants to trade for given his situation and reports are his agent was informing teams that he wouldn't report to them. What is Drury supposed to do exactly and who is he supposed to sign? Did you see the contracts that were handed out yesterday? He needs money next year to sign Laf, Miller, and Igor. The 2 guys he did sign will fit and not break the bank next year.

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
Imagine the shit people would’ve said if Kravtsov didn’t want to get traded because his wife didn’t want it lol
How did he f*** it up exactly on July 2nd? You can't trade somebody that nobody wants to trade for given his situation and reports are his agent was informing teams that he wouldn't report to them. What is Drury supposed to do exactly and who is he supposed to sign? Did you see the contracts that were handed out yesterday? He needs money next year to sign Laf, Miller, and Igor. The 2 guys he did sign will fit and not break the bank next year.
buy him out. Boom 4 million

• Haha
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Imagine the shit people would’ve said if Kravtsov didn’t want to get traded because his wife didn’t want it lol

buy him out. Boom 4 million

So the rangers get hit with an extra 2 million a year after the deal ends. If Drury is expecting to be around for another 3 years, thats 2 million in space he can't use.
Thats absolutely the reason not to buy him out if possible.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
What's this shit with Trouba's contract? You have people saying his full NMC is still in effect, since it was designed to expire with his wife's doctor program or whatever (which got pushed back a year because of covid), and using this post article as source

What are CBA Experts thoughts? Can that be included in a contract? I mean either way, it sounds like it could and maybe would be fought.

what a shitty messsy situation this is..........

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022

So the rangers get hit with an extra 2 million a year after the deal ends. If Drury is expecting to be around for another 3 years, thats 2 million in space he can't use.
Thats absolutely the reason not to buy him out if possible.
Sure but if you view Trouba as a replacement level player (he is) then that’s basically 8 million in dead cap the next two years, arguably much more important seasons than whatever corpse of this team remains in 2026-27

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
One thing I'm not quite understanding is how did nobody know about his wife's residency being delayed a year? If Brooks source is the team, his original article didn't even mention this. This had to known by the front office. Of course it doesn't change the negotiated contract, but was there no communication between Drury and Trouba's team about this until they knew they wanted to move him?

Feel like a lot of this is because someone didn't pick up a phone early enough and say how they felt, whether that was Drury or Trouba. Drury can only go off what he knows too, but we'll likely never find out who is the main culprit behind this being so out in the open.

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
One thing I'm not quite understanding is how did nobody know about his wife's residency being delayed a year? If Brooks source is the team, his original article didn't even mention this. This had to known by the front office. Of course it doesn't change the negotiated contract, but was there no communication between Drury and Trouba's team about this until they knew they wanted to move him?

Feel like a lot of this is because someone didn't pick up a phone early enough and say how they felt, whether that was Drury or Trouba. Drury can only go off what he knows too, but we'll likely never find out who is the main culprit behind this being so out in the open.
Because Helen Keller in a sensory deprivation chamber could see something coming before NYR management. They have zero foresight with anything, just kick the can down the road.

I don’t even get why his wife is important. It’s not like it would’ve been easy to remove this bum from the team this off-season even if he was single. The process of alienating Trouba needed to start a long time ago and the FO blows for that.

Reactions: CLW and tiggles

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Playoff performances.

I wouldn’t give him 12 or even 10 either, but his playoff track record is pretty impeccable.

Helly can’t hang his hat on that. Neither can Sorokin.

I’ll keep on saying it, if he wants 12, let him drag this team to a cup next season. Either the rangers will give it to him or someone else will.
I'm sure you're right and maybe they will. If there's a team ready to sign Igor 8x12, then there's a team ready to give up significant assets for the chance to do so. But there wasn't a market for Hellebuyck and he signed for 8.5. We just saw what Markstrom got. Goalies just don't return much.

You are going to compare Skinner to Igor? He's the best goalie in the league when factoring in shots and quality. He was outstanding in the last 2 ECFs. He's going to get paid north of 10 million like some other top goalies so get ready to be livid unless the Rangers don't want to meet his demands. Somebody is going to pay him handsomely.
I think I was pretty obviously comparing him to Connor Hellebuyck. Igor is among the top goalies in the league. He certainly doesn't own that crown. Hellebuyck has just as strong a claim, if not a stronger one and he signed for 8.5.

Who are all these goalies getting over 10?

Carey Price signed for 10.5 for 14% of the cap in 2017.
Bobrovsky signed for 10 for 12.25% of the cap in 2019.

Those are the only two in history. Price was Price. Hart, Lindsay, Vezina, and OG. Bobrovsky was a 2x Vezina winner. Price had 500 games under his belt and 5 seasons where he played more games than Igor has ever played in a season.

The goaltending position is different now. Igor has never even played 60 games in a year. It was foolish to sign those two contracts when they happened, but at least the expectation was for those guys to play between 60-65 games a year. Not 50-55. You know who plays 60+ games consistently? Hellebuyck.

Reactions: Slaydagnar

zlev

Dec 21, 2015
Yeah I mean we are definitely stuck. It seems like Drury wanted a Huberdeau/Weegar/Tkachuk like shakeup in the room but Trouba nixed it and now were stuck with guys wo are too comfortable calling the shots for another 2 years. it's why I will be advocating for an Igor trade until he signs a deal that puts us right back into being stuck.

no he didn't. he just wanted to dump Trouba because he sucks and makes a lot of money. the way people just make shit up on this forum is so funny.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014

What's funny is in the same Post article...

"The anticipated trade to Detroit did not materialize after No. 8 handed in his 15-team no-trade list to GM Chris Drury as due on Monday."

He gave his trade list, isn't that an acknowledgement that his NMC has become a L-NTC?

Feel like no one even knows what the hell is going on at this point.

Last edited:

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016

Why would they have known? If the trouba’s didn’t tell him, they wouldn’t know.
Unless you expect that a team should routinely spy on a players spouse?

He gave his trade list, isn't that an acknowledgement that his NMC has become a L-NTC?

The rumor is that he knew a trade to Detroit was pending. Places detroit on his ntc list, knowing it would block that deal.

The other rumor, and 100% rumor at this time, is that his agent has called other teams not blocked by his clause, informing them that he will not report.

hardnosed

Feb 27, 2017
Think I figured out why Lindgren is still here. The Rangers need cap space for 25/26 to sign Igor and the others. That's why Trouba has to go. He's 8 million in 25/26. But Lindgren as a RFA with arbitration rights will probably end up with a 1 year deal from the arbitrator which won't impact 25/26. If they were to trade Lindgren's rights like many have suggested, then they have to replace him with a free agent who will want multiple years which would impact 25/26. I guess they could have traded for a Dman like Smith with one year left. But then you are giving assets that were needed to get a RW. Obviously, if Trouba went to Detroit before free agency, Drury had more cards to play. So Lindgren stays 1 year and the compromise with Trouba is that he ends up dealt next summer after the wife has finished residency. Now if they sign Lindgren for multiple years, then I'm talking out my butt.

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
What's this shit with Trouba's contract? You have people saying his full NMC is still in effect, since it was designed to expire with his wife's doctor program or whatever (which got pushed back a year because of covid), and using this post article as source

What are CBA Experts thoughts? Can that be included in a contract? I mean either way, it sounds like it could and maybe would be fought.

what a shitty messsy situation this is..........
This is what I have up to now.
Frank Seravalli stated on one of his own media outlets this morning that a source (but it wasn’t clear if the source was building of Larry Brooks, Brooks himself, or other sources because panelist were talking while he was) that Jacob Trouba through his agent has told team that he will not report if he is traded. That includes all 31 teams.
I have seen this afternoon someone repeating that narrative but they are not referring to Seravalli or Brooks as where they received it.

If this is true and I have no idea if it is, then the answer could be as simple as Drury eventually placing him on waivers and in time sending him to Hartford.
If Trouba refuses to report then the Rangers could terminate his contract.

I would guess we will get more clarity in the upcoming weeks.

Last edited:

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014

His NMC, along with Kreider’s, turned into a m-NTC yesterday. Kreider still has the NMC portion that prevents him from being put on waivers without him agreeing to it. Trouba doesn’t have that in his deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad