Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
The NHL is a grueling grind. No team ends up with the best record in the NHL and 2 wins away from the Cup finals without a strong desire to win imo. It is very hard to win. Extremely hard to repeat. Florida gave everything this season. I doubt they can repeat.

With all due respect Nicky, who cares about Florida? We have 1 Cup in 84 years and instead of making the changes we all know are necessary, the team is being handcuffed by something completely unrelated to hockey. It's extremely frustrating. All is not lost but we're spinning our wheels until the soap opera stars are off the books in 2 years.

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
You act like they were one and done. They won 10 playoff games which only 4 teams in this league did. We need to stop acting like that is so easy and means nothing.
If we were playing anyone but the crapitals lol, it very well could have been. We were badly outplayed by the panthers and Igor saved us against the canes. So yes it’s not nothing but t still not close to winning with the same defense

Reactions: Riche16

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Still feel like there could be a Tkachuk/Huberdeau like deal for the Rangers to shake things up at some point this summer.

There is definitely some cap maneuvering going on to clear space for such a deal or possibly some large extensions as well.

I think the patience has been a good sign thus far there are some whopper deals out there that aren’t going to look too great down the road for a lot of teams.

Also think drurys hands are tied until he can resolve the Trouba situation. And maybe his initial plan is off the table now because of it. Hopefully there will be a silver lining to that.

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
Isn't it kinda sad/hilarious that the "rebuild" essentially amounted to 1 single core piece. Lafreniere. Fox willed himself here, traded two 2nd rounders. Don't have to rebuild to make that move. Schneider and K'Andre were drafted with picks that landed in playoff range. Kakko is a question mark. Chytil would probably be a great 2C core guy if he wasn't made of glass. He's the type of player where I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he became a star at 25/26 years old if it wasnt for injuries... what's the chances he ever plays a full season once in his career? Perreault and Emery are also picks in playoff range. Othmann was a 16th OA. The majority of our core are guys that came pre-rebuild, free agent signings and pieces that could've been acquired without a rebuild. Tremendous

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
Isn't it kinda sad/hilarious that the "rebuild" essentially amounted to 1 single core piece. Lafreniere. Fox willed himself here, traded two 2nd rounders. Don't have to rebuild to make that move. Schneider and K'Andre were drafted with picks that landed in playoff range. Kakko is a question mark. Chytil would probably be a great 2C core guy if he wasn't made of glass. He's the type of player where I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he became a star at 25/26 years old if it wasnt for injuries... what's the chances he ever plays a full season once in his career? Perreault and Emery are also picks in playoff range. Othmann was a 16th OA. The majority of our core are guys that came pre-rebuild, free agent signings and pieces that could've been acquired without a rebuild. Tremendous

A rebuild is seriously 30% draft picks, 20% luck,and 50% clearing bad salary and contracts by waiting them out, and most importantly, using the new found cap space extremely wisely.

We doubled down on Zibanejad, signed Panarin, Trouba, and for whatever reason treated Lindgren the Nash trade throw in as some jewel.

We disrobed and spread out the rose petals and prepared the champagne but the lady of the night that walked through the door wasn't very pretty.

We took the scenic route to bagging a 5/10 pub floozie.

OriginalLimbo

May 27, 2019
With all due respect Nicky, who cares about Florida? We have 1 Cup in 84 years and instead of making the changes we all know are necessary, the team is being handcuffed by something completely unrelated to hockey. It's extremely frustrating. All is not lost but we're spinning our wheels until the soap opera stars are off the books in 2 years.
Or one could say we have 2 in 85. See - we just cut our cupless rate in half! That will make some people happy.

Math is fun.

OriginalLimbo

May 27, 2019
Still feel like there could be a Tkachuk/Huberdeau like deal for the Rangers to shake things up at some point this summer.

There is definitely some cap maneuvering going on to clear space for such a deal or possibly some large extensions as well.

I think the patience has been a good sign thus far there are some whopper deals out there that aren’t going to look too great down the road for a lot of teams.

Also think drurys hands are tied until he can resolve the Trouba situation. And maybe his initial plan is off the table now because of it. Hopefully there will be a silver lining to that.
Possible silver lining - maybe his initial plan sucked but his SECOND plan is not…how do the kids say it nowadays….ass.

Reactions: HockeyBasedNYC

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Appreciate the respect. I give due respect back :)

Not sure what relevance 1 cup in 30 years, 2 cups in 85 years or 4 cups in history has to todays Rangers. Different players. Different coaches. Different GMs and different owners. I mentioned Florida. Does Florida's cup win this year have any relevance to how they played 5 years ago? 15 years ago?

Our GM is trying to do his job. The newspapers reported a deal that they now say never existed. What should our GM do? Send a mob to a players house? Blackmail another GM? Our GM is going to try his best to improve this team but he can not magically make somethings happen if others do not agree to deals. I think you suggested we should get a 1st and 2nd pick for Trouba. That would be great if you could make that trade happen but is it realistic to expect our GM to make it?

If Drury wants to move Trouba I have faith that he has a plan but we do not improve the team just by getting more cap room. We do need a good Dman replacement in order for us to improve.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA

Feel like for those who complain about Drury not “having the guts” and “being ruthless enough” are getting their wish

Seems clear to me the team is using the media to bully Trouba into trade

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Why isn't anybody highlighting the fact that Casey Fitzgerald is Tom's son (Devils GM) and Brady Tkachuk's cousin. He's either a sleeper agent planted to destroy us from within or he's the grease to get the wheels turning on the Brady Tkachuk trade.

Thought for sure there'd be some funny stuff in the Devils' thread but I haven't seen it. I'm sure the Devils Insiders guys - especially Dave - will discuss it tomorrow at development camp.

nyrob13

Jun 21, 2015
Does it matter? This team as constructed can’t get over the hump. They aren’t good enough
Yea .. that's every team, until they do get over the hump. There are about 25 teams that would love to swap rosters with the Rangers. I agree that some changes are needed. But they aren't 8 pieces away.

Panthers results before winning Cup: Lost in Cup, Lost in 2nd Round, Lost in 1st Round
VGK results before winning Cup: Outlier for obvious reasons
Avs results before winning Cup: Lost in 2nd round, Lost in 2nd round, Lost in 2nd round
TBL results before winning Cup: Swept in 1st round after 128 points, Lost in ECF, Missed Playoffs
Caps results before winning Cup: Lost in 2nd round, Lost in 2nd round, Lost in 2nd round

All of those teams weren't good enough. And then they were.

Drury bought out Goodrow, tried/is trying to trade Trouba, and has been drafting a very specific type of player (Schneider, Cuylle, Othmann, Sykora, Edstrom, Rempe, among others). I think it's clear that HE recognizes there needs to be some changes. I'm not even a Drury fan. But let's see how it plays out. It's July 2nd.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad