Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Pennsyltucky
EBPhc17XoAMNlUI.jpg

"Heh, nah I'm fine just a little tired. I am not worried about the offseason. Drury knows you can't go into this season with the same defense and pay Igor 12.5 million a year."

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
The longest Trouba Lindgren kakko thing goes on, it means we couldn't find a good deal/solution so expect kakko for a 3rd in September.

Reactions: Ail

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I knew sending all our dead weight to Utah was too good to be true. Like, they have standards. Why would they just want Lindgren? You need to target a team that is fallible to the "warrior" narrative and even then they're looking for big strong players, not an oft injured midget.

Lindgren on the market has no value unless there's a team in the middle of August that wants to pay a low 2nd to add some depth. Trouba is Trouba.

It's not looking good fellas. We couldn't move them out during the draft nor during FA day and we added no salary so Drury doesn't expect to move out salaries.

Let's give up on the notion that we're going to make changes to the core.

These players are entitled, Zibanejad believed they were right there with the Panthers and played well.

Anyone who doesn't support gutting the morale and entitled attitude of the players is a shill. You have to let the blood out even if it creates a mess.

Also, Jeff Gorton is a massive chump.

This is the big thing for me. An optimistic fan like myself can think this, but when the 1C who got beat like a rented mule all series thinks it, we have a big problem.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
No reason not to keep Kakko.

You know my feelings on Kakko, but trading him now would be idiocy. Better value than every forward signed yesterday. The Florida Panthers are also a good case study on what happens when you give up on 23 year olds too early. Bennett, Montour, Forsling, Verhaeghe, etc. I bet their teams wish they didnt give up on them. drury should be looking of ways that he can improve the young guys game. Because trying to keep the vets happy has led us here.

Bruner4329

Apr 24, 2016
Gorton might be a better executive than Drury, but Gorton’s worst sins are worse than Drury’s worst sins. Draft picks being flushed down the toilet? What do you call taking Lias and Kravtsov? With better picks than what Drury has had to use? The Habs will be good? The Rangers are good. Stop. I don’t think either guy is Einstein, but Drury has had to work around Gorton’s messes. Gorton left a big mess
This whole thing is comical. Posters on this board were all over Gorton the last few years and were calling for his head. Fact is the Lias and Kravtsov misses were huge and set us back big time.

Reactions: Graves97

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
You cannot as an NHL GM have your plans contingent entirely on someone else. There's at least a 75% chance that Edmonton will give him whatever he asks for. Future hall of fame centers generally do not go to UFA in their prime. You might as well count on Crosby coming here.

A lot of posters concluded that he's heading off the Igor/Laf raises. Maybe. There are a lot of options next offseason. But within a few years Panarin, Kreider, ZIb are going to be older than Messier when he won the cup with us. We will be a gray-bearded core without cup winning credentials.
Not sure how EDM will keep BOTH Drai and McJesus... could easily be 23-25 million or MORE of a 90mil cap...
Pan's contract is up season after next. Kreider CAN be traded, but hopefully stays, he's a good value. Zib we are stuck with.
The CORE however will NOT be those three, it will be Laf, Fox, Miller, Schneids, hopefully Gabe, etc.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
A little early to be comparing their drafting records, nobody Drury has drafted has even played an NHL game.

Yeah but he wasn’t leading the charge when Kravtsov was taken.

That kind of means a lot. Lias was a shit pick too but at least they had identified the best player in that draft (Pettersson) and were targeting him before he was taken. He hired and gave power to Bobrov who
Convinced everyone that Kravtsov was the 2nd best forward in that draft.

The later rounds is where we’ve seen the difference though. Under Gorton every WTF pick made after round 1 ended up remaining a wtf pick. The post rd1 wtf picks made by the current group…. Actually seem like they’re pretty good
Picks and would go way higher in a redraft.

I think JG generally did an okay job when tearing it down and getting assets. We’ve seen the fruits of his labor play out, it hasn’t been good. It doesn’t take a genius to be bad and pick in the top 10 for 4 straight years either and even then, 1 of those 4 looks like an impact player and the 2 that weren’t no brainers completely flamed out.

And it’s semantics, but Othmann has played NHL games so your statement is false.

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
Colorado is over the cap with Nichuskin and Landeskog back and they appear to be missing a 4C as well as a #6 or #7 d-man. A trade revolving around:

Lindgren + Brodzinski for Colton + 2nd

Makes sense and actually fits both sides. The Rangers would need to retain slightly on Lindgren but they could sign him to a 1-year deal, retain on him and then Colorado, if it so desired, could re-sign him to a longer term contract.

So:
Sign Lindgren - 1 year @ $3.5m
Rangers retain $1.5m

To Coloardo:
Brodzinski + Lindgren Retained

To NYR:
Colton + NYR 2nd

The Rangers would have ~$2.2m to sign a couple of d-men (Kylington please + depth)
The Avs would have ~$1.45m to sign a 4C and maybe a 7th d-man

View attachment 891280

View attachment 891281

Duh I knew this...
Too simple and boring. Go big or go home. Retained Panarin for Rantanen.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Gorton got a lot of credit for having the balls to start a rebuild. He got some of it right, butvother aspects like the McDonagh trade were unmitigated disasters. He then took a lot of heat for trying to hit fast forward by bringing in Trouba and Panarin. Two guys who not coincidentally are a big part of why we're stuck between a rock and a hard place right now. To say nothing of the drafting. I was fine with it when he was let go.

Drury obviously got off to a terrible start with the Buchnevich trade, which was one where I understood the logic but the results were awful. Since then I have generally approved of the job he has done. I think his hands are tied a bit, here, as there's really no good solution for him with Trouba.

I said it yesterday it's clear they're looking towards next off-season. That will be the make or break for him, in my mind anyway.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
Yeah but he wasn’t leading the charge when Kravtsov was taken.

That kind of means a lot. Lias was a shit pick too but at least they had identified the best player in that draft (Pettersson) and were targeting him before he was taken. He hired and gave power to Bobrov who
Convinced everyone that Kravtsov was the 2nd best forward in that draft.

The later rounds is where we’ve seen the difference though. Under Gorton every WTF pick made after round 1 ended up remaining a wtf pick. The post rd1 wtf picks made by the current group…. Actually seem like they’re pretty good
Picks and would go way higher in a redraft.

I think JG generally did an okay job when tearing it down and getting assets. We’ve seen the fruits of his labor play out, it hasn’t been good. It doesn’t take a genius to be bad and pick in the top 10 for 4 straight years either and even then, 1 of those 4 looks like an impact player and the 2 that weren’t no brainers completely flamed out.

And it’s semantics, but Othmann has played NHL games so your statement is false.
i liked this post but have to clarify: Drurys post round 1 drafting appears to have been savvy and deliberate - in service of a vision for roster construction that I can get behind (size and skating emphasis on bottom 6 types for consistent flow of depth to supplement high cap dollar top 6 talent).

Gorton's recouping assets when tearing it down however was not great. Miller/Mcdonagh return sucked, Nash return was good, Etc.

Reactions: bhamill

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
i liked this post but have to clarify: Drurys post round 1 drafting appears to have been savvy and deliberate - in service of a vision for roster construction that I can get behind (size and skating emphasis on bottom 6 types for consistent flow of depth to supplement high cap dollar top 6 talent).

Gorton's recouping assets when tearing it down however was not great. Miller/Mcdonagh return sucked, Nash return was good, Etc.
This is fair.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
The longest Trouba Lindgren kakko thing goes on, it means we couldn't find a good deal/solution so expect kakko for a 3rd in September.
If the Rangers desperately wanted to get rid of Kakko, they would've traded him yesterday for Smith.

I don't really get why he's lumped in with Trouba and Lindgren here.

Atax

Apr 7, 2011
If k'Andre has a good year, he's getting 8-8.5, and would deserve it. I rag on him but yesterday was an eye opener. A lot of guys nowhere near as good as Miller got PAID. I am really rooting for a good year by him. The team needs him to develop into a top pair LD, and there is money earmarked for him if he can do it.
Theres 0 chance Miller gets a 8.5 mil contract. He's not a prolific goal scorer. He's not physical. He's not a great passer. His main skill is his skating. He has a lot of holes in his game. 8.5 is absurd. His contract isnt going to jump from 3 mil to 8 mil.

Graves97

Jan 16, 2014
Gorton is a better executive than Drury. Chris has been overmatched since day one. One good trade in 3 years. Lundkvist. This is Drury's 4th offseason as Rangers GM. The same problems exist. All of the draft picks flushed down the toilet. Gorton wasn't perfect but Chris is lost. The Habs will be good. They need to wait for some of their bad contracts to come off the books and not rushing the rebuild might be the prudent thing.
So basically they need to do exactly the opposite of what Gorton did with the Rangers which was rush the rebuild by signing a bunch of bad long-term contracts. Got it.

Reactions: McRanger92

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Theres 0 chance Miller gets a 8.5 mil contract.

I think you are being naive if you think there's 0 chance. The Cap is going up another 4 million at least next year. Rising tide lifts all boats. And that's even before he raises his potentially raises his value with his play.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
I think you are being naive if you think there's 0 chance. The Cap is going up another 4 million at least next year. Rising tide lifts all boats. And that's even before he raises his potentially raises his value with his play.
The slavin contract is a good comparison.
Slavin is the ideal contract that miller could get.
Slavin got 6ish, and so maybe miller gets a bit more but I can’t see 8ish.

Reactions: Atax

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad